The Student Room Group

Edinburgh Film and Television Mini Portfolio

The second question of the portfolio asks what attributes I can bring to the course and what evidence I have to support it.
What immediately occurred to me was to link website to go alongside the answer to this question including scripts, story boards, short films and photography to showcase my abilities to do with the subject, however would it be best if I just talk about my work rather than linking it?
Reply 1
They have asked you to identify what attributes you will bring to the courses, so that is the key thing you have to address, with links to suporting evidence.
For example, you could say you will bring "effective organisational skills" which is a key skill for producers and production managers - then point to evidence that you have such skills.
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 2
Ah okay!
So when they ask for attributes it's not necessarily my experience with writing or shot composition, but instead attributes of my personality? More general skills?
Should I mention the former or is this irrelevant to the question, and additionally, what kind of evidence could I supply to show a skill like 'effective organization'?
Reply 3
That's how I would interpret the term "attribute" but by all means ask around!
So with the 2 things you have mentioned (writing and shot composition) - these are part of the evidence.
Shot composition - attributes relating to this might be well-developed visual sense, or knowledge and understanding of cinematic camera conventions - then point to the evidence to prove this - such as a sequence where you demonstrate your experience and knowledge of shot composition.
Writing - attributes might include familiarity with screenwriting conventions and formatting, or working knowledge of narrative conventions - then point to the evidence - such as an example of your screenwriting.
Good organisational skills can be evidenced through things like producing a film, doing production management on a film, organising an event (eg a screening).
We're not talking about personality traits here - we're talking about skills.
If you're not comfortable with this approach, then you can always just list the "things I can do" with examples to illustrate.
Reply 4
Original post by cheadle
That's how I would interpret the term "attribute" but by all means ask around!
So with the 2 things you have mentioned (writing and shot composition) - these are part of the evidence.
Shot composition - attributes relating to this might be well-developed visual sense, or knowledge and understanding of cinematic camera conventions - then point to the evidence to prove this - such as a sequence where you demonstrate your experience and knowledge of shot composition.
Writing - attributes might include familiarity with screenwriting conventions and formatting, or working knowledge of narrative conventions - then point to the evidence - such as an example of your screenwriting.
Good organisational skills can be evidenced through things like producing a film, doing production management on a film, organising an event (eg a screening).
We're not talking about personality traits here - we're talking about skills.
If you're not comfortable with this approach, then you can always just list the "things I can do" with examples to illustrate.

Nice! This is incredibly helpful, thank you very much. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending