The Student Room Group

Music Grade 9 GCSE

How do I get a 9 in my gcse music listening exam
Practice and practice and practice. I took GCSE standard in yr9 and all we were told to do was repeat and repeat listening exercises until we really knew what we were looking for. Past papers should help with this. Also, listen to the piece or aria whenever you can, and wider listening. For example, the exam board we took was Edexcel and one of the set works was Purcell's Music For A While. We'd listen to that over and over and always do wider listening
Original post by hxnnxh_13.11.06
Practice and practice and practice. I took GCSE standard in yr9 and all we were told to do was repeat and repeat listening exercises until we really knew what we were looking for. Past papers should help with this. Also, listen to the piece or aria whenever you can, and wider listening. For example, the exam board we took was Edexcel and one of the set works was Purcell's Music For A While. We'd listen to that over and over and always do wider listening

Taking it all noted, thanks for replying man :smile:
Make sure you know your set works inside out. For example, play a set work and talk to yourself about all the key features as they are played or just listen and read through your score (maybe follow different lines each time).

A good way of revising (I also used this for my A-Level) is to make a grid with the headings: melody, harmony+tonality, structure/form, instrumentation, dynamics, rhythm+metre+tempo, and texture.
In one colour, write down everything you can remember about that set work without listening to it or using the score.
Then listen to the set work and, in another colour, add things in as you hear them while listening (no score).
Then finally, open your score and get any class notes or notes from the exam board (e.g. the Pearson Edexcel notes) and add them into the sections in a third colour.
To wrap it all up, listen to the set work and try to listen out for the things you didn't know off the top your head in the first go.

If you do that for all your set works a 9 is very much achievable. Good luck!
Reply 4
i got 30/30 in both my compositions, 25/30 in composition 1 and 21/30 in composition 2.

do you think i can still get a 9 if i do well in the exam? i'm worried my composition scores are letting me down :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest