The Student Room Group

AS and A-Level physics resources thread

Scroll to see replies

Hi guys .. tmwr I'm going to sit for my physics unit 3 do u have any expectations for which experiment is going to come ... plz share it with me
Original post by letsdothetimewarpagain
This thread is intended to be used for anyone to make requests for any resources for AS and A-Level Physics (and related subjects) - including past exam papers, mark schemes, etc. Please keep any requests in this thread; any requests posted elsewhere will be merged into this thread. Please note that in replying to any requests, materials should not be posted as attachments to posts, but instead as links to external hosts.

For requests for resources for other levels and qualifications, please use the following threads:

Past paper sites - external

http://www.freeexampapers.com/
http://www.thepaperbank.co.uk/
https://eiewebvip.edexcel.org.uk/pastpapers/
AQA A bank
AQA B bank
OCR bank
WJEC bank
Edexcel bank
CIE bank

Past Paper links - on TSR

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=20828230&postcount=488 (june 10, jan 10, june 09, jan 09)
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=8180200&postcount=63

Specifications

AQA A
AQA B
OCR
Edexcel
WJEC
CIE

Examiners reports

AQA A
AQA B
OCR
Edexcel

Speciman papers

AQA A
AQA B
OCR
Edexcel
CIE

Grade Boundries

Edexcel

OCR

AQA

Useful revision websites

Revision notes on our very own wiki

hello is there any revision videos for edexcel a level physics ?
Would anyone be able to help me with these questions. I don’t understand the solution

53E27E81-72B3-4EE1-A5AB-CC4BCCB448B8.jpg.jpeg
27745755-6DFE-4014-ADD3-0AE783F2B62F.jpg.jpeg
This is the solution
Original post by chemistrynerd13
Would anyone be able to help me with these questions. I don’t understand the solution

You're probably best making a thread in the Physics forum.:wink:
My phone won’t let me😫😭but I’ll try
27745755-6DFE-4014-ADD3-0AE783F2B62F.jpg.jpeg
This is the solution

I think solution B i) is incorrect because I keep getting 23.1m

53E27E81-72B3-4EE1-A5AB-CC4BCCB448B8.jpg_LI.jpg
Hi, Can you verify the number that is circled in the picture - is it 4.0 m or 40 m? I would explain solution once the number is confirmed. Thank.
Original post by Eimmanuel
53E27E81-72B3-4EE1-A5AB-CC4BCCB448B8.jpg_LI.jpg
Hi, Can you verify the number that is circled in the picture - is it 4.0 m or 40 m? I would explain solution once the number is confirmed. Thank.

It is 4.0! Sorry for drawing a line through it
It is 4.0! Sorry for drawing a line through it

I assume that you are familiar with the principle of moment. If not, please state so.

(i) The distance AC is found by using trigonometry ratio and right angle triangle.

Triangle ADC is a right angled triangle. AD is equal to 4.0 m.

Using tan30=ACAD=AC4.0 \tan 30{}^\circ =\dfrac{AC}{AD}=\dfrac{AC}{4.0}

You would get AC as 2.31 m.

(ii) The tension is found by using the principle of moment at point B. Why at point B? Because we don’t know the force at point B. So when we take the pivot at B, we can ignore the turning effect of the force at B.

Gate_A.JPG

To find the perpendicular distance from B to the wire, we use the right-angled triangle CBE as shown in the diagram above and sin ratio.

sin60=CECB=CEBA+AC=CE2.0+2.31 \sin 60{}^\circ =\dfrac{CE}{CB}=\dfrac{CE}{BA+AC}=\dfrac{CE}{2.0+2.31}

This would give CE as 3.73 m.

Apply principle of moment about B,
sum of anticlockwise moment of forces = sum of clockwise moment of forces
tension × CE = weight × 2.0

The tension can be calculated from the above equation as 268 N.

If you have any doubt about the explanation, let me know first before I explain the (iii) and (iv).
I assume that you are familiar with the principle of moment. If not, please state so.

(i) The distance AC is found by using trigonometry ratio and right angle triangle.

Triangle ADC is a right angled triangle. AD is equal to 4.0 m.

Using tan30=ACAD=AC4.0 \tan 30{}^\circ =\dfrac{AC}{AD}=\dfrac{AC}{4.0}

You would get AC as 2.31 m.

(ii) The tension is found by using the principle of moment at point B. Why at point B? Because we don’t know the force at point B. So when we take the pivot at B, we can ignore the turning effect of the force at B.

Gate_A.JPG

To find the perpendicular distance from B to the wire, we use the right-angled triangle CBE as shown in the diagram above and sin ratio.

sin60=CECB=CEBA+AC=CE2.0+2.31 \sin 60{}^\circ =\dfrac{CE}{CB}=\dfrac{CE}{BA+AC}=\dfrac{CE}{2.0+2.31}

This would give CE as 3.73 m.

Apply principle of moment about B,
sum of anticlockwise moment of forces = sum of clockwise moment of forces
tension × CE = weight × 2.0

The tension can be calculated from the above equation as 268 N.

If you have any doubt about the explanation, let me know first before I explain the (iii) and (iv).

Oh no I get what you’ve just explained!!! Thank you so much!!! Yeah, we covered moments earlier in the year but I just didn’t really grasp harder questions like these!
Oh no I get what you’ve just explained!!! Thank you so much!!! Yeah, we covered moments earlier in the year but I just didn’t really grasp harder questions like these!

Try to attempt (iii) and (iv) to test your understanding. It is about static equilibrium. :smile:

It would be good that you post your physics question in the physics forum in future instead.
Try to attempt (iii) and (iv) to test your understanding. It is about static equilibrium. :smile:

Okay will do thank you so much! And in future, I will try to post in the physics forum. Sorry for any inconvenience and thank you so much for the help! I’m very grateful
Is there any way to get Edexcel GCE June 2008 PHY6 6736/01 Physics mark scheme? :s-smilie:
Reply 355
hey there, so im a student sitting for my AS edexcel exams this year in 2019 and there are very limited resources available for the new spec. So if anyone has any updated notes for any of the subjects; biology, chemistry, physics, maths and english litereture, please hmu.

thanks so much fellow people of earth

Quick Reply

Latest