The Student Room Group

Is this just my school being stupid? (Self study)

My school gave us 2 letters to take home today. One was a guide to parents about A Levels.
One of the things it says was: "Students are expected to do 6 hours self study per week"
So basically I need to do 24 hours self study per week, which, is over 3 hours a day for all 4 of my subjects.
So after going to college, coming home, doing homework and flute practice I am expected to spent nearly 4 hours doing self study work?

How much self study work in reality do you need to do?
Reply 1
whats your point, if you want to pass then you gotta learn!
Its worth it in the end
we were also advised to do self study but it includes the homework hours too so about 3 hours a day. I know it sucks, but since we just started A level they want to warn us how much hard work we have to put into it and the big jump from GCSE to A level..yada yada :p: But i think it is needed to do a lot of studying but plan carefully between your flute practise..etc and dont leave studying and homework to the last minute.
Reply 3
Oh no, I know I have to learn in order to pass, I am very conscientious. But the thing is, that if I did homework and self study, that would be like 5 hours per night. I seriously think I couldn't cope if I did 5 hours per night of work as well as school.

Our school haven't really told us anything about how to do A Levels (i.e workload, note taking etc).

Does self study include when you are doing studying in your frees?
I think self study includes homework as well because your still studying and finding facts out for your h/w so its the same imo. But definately looks things up in your syllabus..etc.
Self study in your frees could be included too, dunno about that :p:
Reply 5
yeh it includes anything even revising for a topic test or group study! im just sayin keep on top of it because in the first set of exams i got bdee and had no-one to blame it on but myself! self study really does help!
Reply 6
Yeh it does include studying in frees - You only really need to do a couple of hours extra studying outside lessons per week, don't go over board cause you'll just seem like a swot, but continue it and it may help you. Our school told us to do extra studying, but no-one did, its not enforced, just suggested.
Reply 7
NickiM
My school gave us 2 letters to take home today. One was a guide to parents about A Levels.
One of the things it says was: "Students are expected to do 6 hours self study per week"
So basically I need to do 24 hours self study per week, which, is over 3 hours a day for all 4 of my subjects.
So after going to college, coming home, doing homework and flute practice I am expected to spent nearly 4 hours doing self study work?

I don't want to encourage laziness or anything, but at AS levels I honestly don't think that you need to go overboard.

Do your homework on time, participate actively in lessons, if you don't understand something look it up or ask your teachers. If you're doing a project, go to the library or on the internet instead of just using your textbook. Maybe read a book or two outside of the syllabus on your subjects, or read a monthly magazine about your subjects.

But don't kill yourself with self-study. Think about your abilities and what you feel you need to do to get the grades that you want.

edit: I definitely didn't do 6 hours self study at AS, I just listened in lessons and made sure I understood it all, and the exams were fine.
Reply 8
Thanks all. I do put 100% effort into my homework, and always go to the teacher if I don't understand something. I think part of my worrying is the shock of AS Level, it just seems so much more harder than GCSE.
We were told we should be doing 15 hours, I'd treat the guidance amounts sceptically... Basically I just do homework, and occasionally do some extra reading. I still fit in plenty of other things, not least hours and hours of being incredibly lazy :wink: Seriously don't worry, you'll be fine :smile:
We were told we should be doing 3 hours of work per day (at AS level) but my teacher said that in reality that was a ridiculous amount to expect people to do and that 1.5 hours would be good :smile:
I think self-study is really good, my school didn't send a letter home. But i personaly do at least 2 hours a day i need 2 if i want 2 keep ontop of my As.
To be honest, I didn't really do that much self-study besides homework and I still got AABB at AS, so I don't think it's crucial.
Reply 13
A lot of people don't do any work and get by. There was always a table in our library of people doing Su Doku (before it got famous!) or crosswords. And if the independent was there the delighful Daily Picture.

When you are at college do you have study periods or do you just go to class then go home??

I go to school for 6 hours a day, during a week I get 9 periods of study (about 5 and a half hours a week). On top of that I get homeworks which take me 2 hours a night. So in one week I am doing 15 hours of self study a week.
Reply 15
I only do homeworks in the week before they are due, and in private study time I do either homework or I read over my school notes :smile:
I think for Maths I'll need to do a lot of extra work if I want to get a good mark :smile:
I just did what work I was set whenever I felt like it! I didn't review anything as I went by but Eng & languages are skills based so you end up using your previous knowledge all the time. Didn't do it for History either, but if you are doing subjects with heavy factual content then I would recommend just going over your notes when you get home - just read them through and check you understand them because it's much better to get help the next day rather than waiting until the day before your exam! Not doing anything extra didn't harm my AS grades at all so I wouldn't worry about it if you're doing well in your course.
Reply 17
NickiM

that seems ridiculous to me. :eek: i just went to all my lessons, paid attention & always did the set homework well.
additional 'self study' was just making sure my notes were organised & that i revised for interim tests/mocks/exams when they came up.

& i got straight As..

i imagine it might depend on your ability/aptitude for the subjects though & the grades you want? unfair as it may seem, some students will need to work harder & put in the extra note making/regular non-specific revision time if they want top grades I guess. so just depends how much you wnat it..
Reply 18
I get 6 x 50 minute frees a week, so 5 hours altogether. However, I have 2 lessons of AS Music after school, so this means less time I could "potentially" study. Also I have my flute lesson, netball practice and netball matches afterwards.

Thanks for all your help :smile:

Would it include things like flute practise and band?
Reply 19
You know what happens when you take it overboard Nicki! And you know what happens at exam time - you've seen me go through it!

Work hard - I know you will but please ignore whatever your teachers are telling you. Do how much you feel you need to do or is necessary for you.

Latest