The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Is it only Maths, that Alot of Uni's have upped their offer for? - Not Fair
Reply 61
Ultimate1
What offers did you get and by who were you rejected? And also what were your predictions? It just makes me :mad: to see how high maths offers are compared to the other sciences where you usually just need an 'A' in the science (Physics, Biology or Chemistry) and need 2 B's, even at top unis.

They don't count General Studies anyway do they? :confused:

My predictions were A*A*A*A*Aa and Durham, LSE, Cambridge rejections. Got into Bristol though (y).

York accepted General Studies, other then that - no.
Reply 62
jj193
My predictions were A*A*A*A*Aa and Durham, LSE, Cambridge rejections. Got into Bristol though (y).

York accepted General Studies, other then that - no.

OMG you just scared me. Durham rejected....you?! :eek3:

Damn.

But you got into Bristol! :awesome:
Reply 63
jit987
Is it only Maths, that Alot of Uni's have upped their offer for? - Not Fair

I think generally quite a lot of courses have upped their offers but I think maths has been one of the most affected subjects in terms of grade inflation. :frown:
Reply 64
Ultimate1
OMG you just scared me. Durham rejected....you?! :eek3:

Damn.

But you got into Bristol! :awesome:

My predictions didn't carry much weight because my maths teacher predicted everyone with A*A* (even people with Es), though.
Reply 65
Ultimate1
I think generally quite a lot of courses have upped their offers but I think maths has been one of the most affected subjects in terms of grade inflation. :frown:

Could it because Mathematics students are very clever :p: + More applicants apply for Mathematics rather than other degrees.
Reply 66
jit987
Could it because Mathematics students are very clever :p: + More applicants apply for Mathematics rather than other degrees.

I think it's because us mathmo's just generally are getting good grades but I think a lot more peeps are applying for maths nowadays as well.

jj193
My predictions didn't carry much weight because my maths teacher predicted everyone with A*A* (even people with Es), though.

How does that work out? Did UCAS or anyone ask your school why they did that? I also presume your school didn't cash your grades in?
Physics Enemy
Which tallies with the forum this year and past 10 years of Merit = 2. A Distinction in AEA is either 1 or S in STEP, that's just reality.

Whoops I meant Distinction/2/2. Lost my train of thought when I posted that there :p:
GarethBrown
Maybe Warwick don't really care much about AEA or STEP relative difficulty, but need to manage the number of entrants on to an oversubscribed course so that they stop going way over their on campus accommodation quota, as well as increasing their student:staff ratio. just a thought...

Putting the offer requirements up is the only way to do that other than interviewing and spending a **** load of money on that.

They're building 500 extra places on campus for 2011. I'm guessing that means an extra 20-30 places for new maths students next year. I expect Warwick to undershoot their increased quota for next year, unless the number of applicants has risen by a couple of hundred in the past 2 years. It will be interesting to see the number of applications/new students in the Maths dept for 2010 entry.
TheTallOne
They're building 500 extra places on campus for 2011. I'm guessing that means an extra 20-30 places for new maths students next year. I expect Warwick to undershoot their increased quota for next year, unless the number of applicants has risen by a couple of hundred in the past 2 years. It will be interesting to see the number of applications/new students in the Maths dept for 2010 entry.

Theyre also knocking down hurst though. They wouldnt have raised the offer unless they were sure they would still fill their places (or near enough) since they get money per head.
Ultimate1
I'm not lying but people applying this year for maths are getting screwed with. Nearly every uni for maths have upped their requirements!:mad:

Some examples:

Warwick- 2010: AAA 1/M 2011: A*A*A 1/D OR A*AA 2

Durham- 2010: AAB 2011: A*AA

Bristol- 2010: AAB 2011: AAA

Bath- 2010: AAB OR AAC 2/M 2011: AAA OR AAB 2/M

Imperial- 2010: AAA (A's in every module) 2011: A*A*A

:mad:

Thats a big jump for Durham!! Is it as good as UCL or not?
Soon enough top universities will only be for private school students. The crazy grade requirements and the increasing tuition fees will make COWI Maths unattainable for nearly all comprehensive schoolers.
Manchester are looking for A*AB - AAB for 2011 entry, makes me wonder why they are so low in league tables:confused:
Reply 73
Physics Enemy
Soon enough top universities will only be for private school students. The crazy grade requirements and the increasing tuition fees will make COWI Maths unattainable for nearly all comprehensive schoolers.

Agree
Reply 74
Physics Enemy

That's where us state school students will complain the crap of the government to make the uni's cater to our needs as well. POWER TO THE PEOPLE! NOT THE SNOBS!
Physics Enemy

Rubbish.
Reply 76
Physics Enemy

I actually wanna know how many of the people that go to these top courses are actually from private schools? I doubt a lot of them really are, thinking about it.
Reply 77
Ultimate1
I actually wanna know how many of the people that go to these top courses are actually from private schools? I doubt a lot of them really are, thinking about it.

The %age of students at Oxbridge from private schools is far higher than the %age of pupils at private school. I doubt it is any different for Mathematics.
IrrationalNumber
Rubbish.

Only a very small minority of students can go to a 'bad' school and get A*A*AA 11 Distinction or whatever. It's extremely rare. A lot of the time they have to self teach themselves the entire Further Maths A-Level as well as prep themselves for AEA and STEP.

Their teachers won't be able to do STEP papers or even AEA.

Most of the students on these top courses will be from private schools. As the grades and fees keep inflating, it'll be more and more. I've seen this already at lesser universities (ranking wise) where the entry grades aren't even all that high (relatively).

People on the this forum might say 'if you're cambridge material you should ...' but it's not really true. The standard cambridge offer used to be AAB 12 and for state schoolers, that was just about attainable, a lot of the time getting 22 and still getting in anyway.
Reply 79
Physics Enemy
Only a very small minority of students can go to a 'bad' school and get A*A*AA 11 Distinction or whatever. It's extremely rare. A lot of the time they have to self teach themselves the entire Further Maths A-Level as well as prep themselves for AEA and STEP.

Their teachers won't be able to do STEP papers or even AEA.

Most of the students on these top courses will be from private schools. As the grades and fees keep inflating, it'll be more and more. I've seen this already at lesser universities (ranking wise) where the entry grades aren't even all that high (relatively).

People on the this forum might say 'if you're cambridge material you should ...' but it's not really true. The standard cambridge offer used to be AAB 12 and for state schoolers, that was just about attainable, a lot of the time getting 22 and still getting in anyway.

Why has Cambridge increased it's STEP offer to 1,1 ? Surely there is no grade inflation in STEP papers? I can understand the A-level requirements being risen to A*AA level, but not STEP? Maybe Cambridge just cares about Private schooling?

Latest