The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

legendary collison
i doubt she will score high at a level if she had a c at gcse.

gcse = learning how to use a calculator
a level = learn how to differentiate

Differentiation is in the gcse syllabus now... or at least it is for edexcel
Reply 21
lol@u if you got a C or lower:smile:
it's not an achievement.

There are prodigies out there who are stunning, Mozart most likely could have been good enough at GCSE maths to do a lot better aged 6 had he worked as hard as this kid did.

However there is little benefit to putting a bright six year old through that, who although might be intelligent really isn't anything special at all intelligence wise. Yes if she's intelligent then she should be pushed, but if she's as bright as her parents probably think she is then she should be doing other things more tailored to her i.e. doing SATS and getting a 7 probably would have been more of an achievement, then she could have gone onto GCSE next year and taken it the year after.

If she's a prodigy then yeah fine, but if she was then she would get an A/ A* at six, not a C.
Mr M
No it isn't.

No they don't.

Yes it is
Yes they do
Scroobious
That is what I said ... unless you're agreeing.

no i didnt read what u say. sorry
Reply 25
Also, pushy parents ftl.
Reply 26
Mr M
My five year old could take down your six year old.

http://swns.com/five-year-old-child-genius-passes-maths-gcse-241709.html
Yeah:

”I didn’t know I was taking the exam I thought it was a game. Maths is a big game with numbers and I find it fun. ”It wasn’t very difficult and I found it very easy because it was mostly questions about the difference between numbers.
”I’m very surprised to be the youngest ever. I’m very proud of myself but it was just a game for me.
”I spend a lot of time playing number games with friends older than me.
”I also enjoy singing with my brother and watching TV. When I’m older I would like to be a princess and be rich.
”Before the exam I played beat the calculator with my friend who is nine-years-old. We do the eleven times table and try to do it faster than the calculator.”
Because every five-year-old I know talks like that.
But I don't care. I've worked to get where I am; I have a career ahead of me, accompanied by much more learning. These kids who are passing GCSEs before even starting school are either proving how easy these exams are these days, or they are really clever, but going to simply burn out and become complete wrecks by the time they're as old as me.
QuantumOverlord
Yes it is
Yes they do

I am involved in the production of Key Stage 3 mathematics National Test materials so I probably know more about it than you.
What a weird little child.
saddlers17
Sorry if this has already been mentioned:- http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-black-country-11091046

Is this an amazing achievement by someone so young or does it show how easy GCSE Maths has become?

Getting an A* in GCSE maths wasn't that easy, passing was.
Reply 30
"invited to read Maths at Cambridge next year if she passes A-Level maths"
Why are Cambridge encouraging this kinda stuff?!
I mean, the guy says: "It's probably going to take a few years for her to realise what path she is on," He sounds like a dick.

edit:
Mr M
I am involved in the production of Key Stage 3 mathematics National Test materials so I probably know more about it than you.

XD
lol stupid bitch, i got an A!
Reply 32
TBH the first question on my Maths paper was draw a square followed by 236+402 or something to that effect.
Reply 33
WOW amazing

GCSE maths is really easy, i took it in 2008 and they made is soo easy.
Doesn't surprise me. One day one of these stories will be about an essay subject and then I will be impressed. Also, I could do basic algebra younger than that - I'm sure loads of people on TSR could - and many would have been able to do this and get a C. It's a decent achievement and she is obviously bright but frankly it only seems so rare because of how rare the opportunity is. If more people took the GCSE that early more people would pass it that early as it's fairly comfortably within the human minds capability to do so at that age.

Call me a 'hater' if you want but I'm quite clearly not, I'm just being honest.
Pheylan
lol C, what a noob

This.
Reply 36
jj193
"invited to read Maths at Cambridge next year if she passes A-Level maths"
Why are Cambridge encouraging this kinda stuff?!
I mean, the guy says: "It's probably going to take a few years for her to realise what path she is on," He sounds like a dick.

edit:

XD

This is just ridiculous. She got a C FFS, yes she's only six but standards are there for a reason and she's hardly good enough to do university level maths at this stage. I suppose she won't be asked to do STEP papers?
Mr M

I'm sorry :p: I relised after I posted that I made a mistake. But grade C is level 7, altough it may not be the average.
Reply 38
paddy__power
Doesn't surprise me. One day one of these stories will be about an essay subject and then I will be impressed. Also, I could do basic algebra younger than that - I'm sure loads of people on TSR could - and many would have been able to do this and get a C. It's a decent achievement and she is obviously bright but frankly it only seems so rare because of how rare the opportunity is. If more people took the GCSE that early more people would pass it that early as it's fairly comfortably within the human minds capability to do so at that age.

Call me a 'hater' if you want but I'm quite clearly not, I'm just being honest.

Exactly this.
BinLaden786WOT
fuk i cant even get a C in it, and i sat it twice. to many fukin trik questions

so you got outsmarted.
twice
by a six year old

Latest

Trending

Trending