The Student Room Group
Reply 1
i imagine a university like warwick would definitely specify an A in history if the course is history
Reply 2
Only one of my offers specified an A in History which was York -AAB with A in History. Places like Nottingham and Bristol offered me AAB but didn't specify. Didn't apply to Warwick tho, sorry!
Reply 3
Places like Nottingham and Bristol offered me AAB but didn't specify.

Oh, what other universites are AAB and don't specify?
Reply 4
Kate29987
Oh, what other universites are AAB and don't specify?

I dont know where else I'm afraid. My other unis offered me lower than AAB.
Don't be too worried about getting the A in history - our school had a real problem with the cswk last year and made everyone doing a level history scared stiff. But, they drummed into us how to do it right etc and peoples cswk marks were really good this year. Good luck!
Oh and apply to Bristol - it rocks! :biggrin:
Exeter offered me AAB, but that was 2 years ago. They said they would probably have to change it AAA soon, anyway.
Reply 6
warwick did specify A in history and as it's so oversubscribed i doubt they would accept any less tbh but u might be lucky, one girl on here was rejected for straight history but offered french and history instead.
All of my offers were non specific (bristol, royal holloway, reading) (Going to bristol nicest city by far)

If you are applying for history at warwick make sure you have a good foreign languages GCSE. I only got a D in spanish and so neednt have bothered applying.My school supposedly had a coursework problem but my essay ended up pulling my grade up so i wouldnt worry to much about that.
Reply 8
I only got a D in spanish and so neednt have bothered applying.

what counts as a good grade...I got a C in french, hated it.
Reply 9
discoraucious
All of my offers were non specific (bristol, royal holloway, reading) (Going to bristol nicest city by far)

If you are applying for history at warwick make sure you have a good foreign languages GCSE. I only got a D in spanish and so neednt have bothered applying.My school supposedly had a coursework problem but my essay ended up pulling my grade up so i wouldnt worry to much about that.

Hello! are you going to bristol do do history this year?
yep. ive been spending all day doing my late forms there seems to be an ever lasting pile of them.
Are you doing an open unit with it? Do u have to decide now??!
Reply 11
discoraucious
yep. ive been spending all day doing my late forms there seems to be an ever lasting pile of them.
Are you doing an open unit with it? Do u have to decide now??!

The open unit stuff confuses me..I haven't got a clue what its going on about to be honest.
What special topic have u put as first choice?
God those forms are a nightmare, and I'm so fed up off getting passport photos done! Grrrr!
i picked on a whim cos there were no descriptions but i put down South African apartheid at number 1 - seems quite interesting and ive got a couple of SA mates. I put Stories at the bottom cos i hate sourcework and wanna do as little as possible. what about u? how do they decide?

they'll know me by name down my boots passport booth soon. ( I still cant pose properly)
Reply 13
discoraucious
i picked on a whim cos there were no descriptions but i put down South African apartheid at number 1 - seems quite interesting and ive got a couple of SA mates. I put Stories at the bottom cos i hate sourcework and wanna do as little as possible. what about u? how do they decide?

they'll know me by name down my boots passport booth soon. ( I still cant pose properly)

Lol i put stories and histories as bottom aswell - I think everyone did. I put paganism as 1, and apartheid as 2 - couldnt decide which one to put first, so I'll be happy with either.
I think its decided by ballot - if you go onto the Bristol forum and look at the history thread there's some info there :smile: There's now 5 of us, maybe 6 on there, and a 3rd yr aswell, so most of your questions should be able to get answered!
Exeter is AAB with no specification. I should know i got my B in history :blushing:
Reply 15
Queen Mary-BBB,Newcastle AAB, manchester says B..possibly :O
Reply 16
Kate29987
I know you've heard this all before so I'll make it short. I got aaac in my AS, and am predicted AAA for A levels. Warwick want for History and Politics AABc-ABBc however they want an A in History. If I get AAB but with the B in History, would I miss out on the offer? My school doesn't do well on cwk and I'm worried it will pull my grade down.

Thanks
Kate

I think if places have specified a grade in a certain subject u pretty much have to get it, especially with somewhere like Warwick. If you're worried about getting the grade just make sure u put in the work urself even if ur school doesn't have the best coursework reputation. I had real problems with the history department at one of my schools so I just knuckled down and researched everything myself rather than expecting to be spoon-fed everything. With coursework it's mainly a question of having a good discussion question, plenty of research with quotes (A levels are big on historians' opinions) and a good essay structure. Oh and make sure u come down on one side or the other in ur conclusion - no fence sitting!

Also just remembered I meant to say that I was really scared about my A2 exams but they ended up coming out better than my AS ones - just a case of knowing ur stuff and knowing what the examiners want.
As far as offers go, see this thread:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/t143964.html

Latest

Trending

Trending