The Student Room Group

OCR MEI Maths/Further Maths Module Arrangement

The modules I've done are as follows:

C1, C2, C3, C4, M1, S1, FP1, FP2, FP3, D1, D2, NM

I'm looking to find out which modules can be applied to the Maths alevel and which to the Further Maths alevel, so that I could arrange them to come out with the best possible combo.

Bear in mind that I have 90+ in the four core modules for an A* Maths.

So.. which are applicable to which? :smile:

Thanks
Reply 1
You don't have any choice over the arrangement (and neither does your school), it's done automatically by the exam board to give you the best possible combination.

[Also, for what it's worth, you don't need 90+ in all the core modules for an A* in Maths, you need 80% average across the whole A-level and 90% average across C3 and C4.]

Let me know what module scores you got and I'll tell you how they'll be arranged and what grades you'll get.
nuodai
You don't have any choice over the arrangement (and neither does your school), it's done automatically by the exam board to give you the best possible combination.

Really...? Thats not what I heard, my school didnt cash in my As-Level modules in because they wanted to wait until I had my A2 modules so they could arrange them to give the best score. I got the impression that my school did it.
soutioirsim
My school didn't cash in my AS modules because they wanted to wait until I had my A2 modules so OCR MEI could arrange them to give the best pair of results.

Fixed that for you.
Reply 4
soutioirsim
Really...? Thats not what I heard, my school didnt cash in my As-Level modules in because they wanted to wait until I had my A2 modules so they could arrange them to give the best score. I got the impression that my school did it.

As Mr M said, they don't cash it in so that the exam board can rearrange the modules, not that your school can. Essentially what they do is hand OCR the 12 modules and say "sort them out plzthx" and in return you get two shiny A-levels.
Reply 5
Get very clever and you can get 3 a Levels from 15 modules assuming you are a pretty talented/work hard.
wishin_uk
Get very clever and you can get 3 a Levels from 15 modules assuming you are a pretty talented/work hard.

I think you will find that equates to 2.5 A Levels.
Reply 7
wishin_uk

Lol. You mean 3 A Levels from 18 modules :p:.
Reply 8
Mr M
I think you will find that equates to 2.5 A Levels.

No requirement to try and patronised me.

You will find it can give you 3 A levels

Small123
Lol. You mean 3 A Levels from 18 modules :p:.

'lol' no, 3 A levels from 15 modules

A Level (A star) 480 UMS
C1/2/3/4 100 UMS in each
S1 80 UMS, D1 0 UMS

Further Maths (A star) 480 UMS
FP1/2/3 100 UMS in each
M1 80 UMS D2 100 UMS S2 0 UMS

Additional Maths (A star) 480 UMS
M2/3/4 100 UMS in each
S3/4 100/80 UMS
M5 0 UMS

15 Modules studied, 3 A stars and a fair few other combinations which are similar on Edexcel and dare I say it, "easier combinations for some students" than those given.
Reply 9
nuodai

Oh? I was under the impression candidates could chose. Still, if ocrmei always arrange for the best combo, I guess it shouldn't be a problem.

wishin_uk
A Level (A star) 480 UMS
C1/2/3/4 100 UMS in each
S1 80 UMS, D1 0 UMS

FP1/2/3 100 UMS in each

M2/3/4 100 UMS in each
S3/4 100/80 UMS
M5 0 UMS

Thats pretty ridiculous aiming for 480 UMS from 5 modules instead of 6. Although saying that, I have 459 UMS from 5 of mine, so I guess it's not *that* difficult.
Reply 10
Smithy-92

Thats pretty ridiculous aiming for 480 UMS from 5 modules instead of 6. Although saying that, I have 459 UMS from 5 of mine, so I guess it's not *that* difficult.

I think you have used the word 'ridiculous' incorrectly. 'ridiculous' means absurd or unrealistic.
Its a UMS average of 96 over 5 modules, which in the context of my first post, is reasonable for top students based on the numerous posts from students highlighting their scores of ~100 in each module.

If you read my first post, I am not advocating this approach to students. I am merely stating that if you are very good and very wise, its an option to take 15 modules and obtain 3 A*'s at A level.

Its also a very nice proposition for Students who want to only do 2 A levels. Maths and Further maths working on 10 modules and only 6 A2 units.
2 A*s right there.
wishin_uk

A Level (A star) 480 UMS
C1/2/3/4 100 UMS in each
S1 80 UMS, D1 0 UMS

FP1/2/3 100 UMS in each

M2/3/4 100 UMS in each
S3/4 100/80 UMS
M5 0 UMS

15 Modules studied, 3 A stars and a fair few other combinations which are similar on Edexcel and dare I say it, "easier combinations for some students" than those given.

I counted. That is still 18 modules. The fact that your fictitious student did not submit a script for three examinations is neither here nor there.

Why did you not just say "Oh yeah, silly me, it was a typo"? Attempting to defend your original statement is bizarre.
Reply 12
wishin_uk

A Level (A star) 480 UMS
C1/2/3/4 100 UMS in each
S1 80 UMS, D1 0 UMS

FP1/2/3 100 UMS in each

M2/3/4 100 UMS in each
S3/4 100/80 UMS
M5 0 UMS

You're being remarkably defensive for making such a silly mistake and the justification just doesn't follow through :p:.
Small123
You're being remarkably defensive for making such a silly mistake and the justification just doesn't follow through :p:.

I raised an eyebrow at 100 UMS in D2 after 0 UMS in D1.

Edit: Not to mention 100 UMS in S3 after 0 UMS in S2.
Reply 14
Small123

Why does it not hold?
Give me one reason why you do not have to study 15 modules and get 3 A*s
Explain to me exactly why the plan I have utlined, which I gave in my first post is not an option?
I made no mistake in the first post. I merely had to post the proof to correct your post.

same goes for below

Mr M
I counted. That is still 18 modules. The fact that your fictitious student did not submit a script for three examinations is neither here nor there.

Why did you not just say "Oh yeah, silly me, it was a typo"? Attempting to defend your original statement is bizarre.

No, its me clearly pointing out that you have to study 15 modules to get 3 A levels which I have shown to you and is without debate.

There is no attempt to back track, quite the opposite. So to clarify. You have tried to pull me up and found that actually no mistake is being made.
Are you now trying to argue that or just dodge the reality by using terms such as 'fictitious student'?
Im not sure I once stated anyone had done this for there to be a 'fictitious student', I clearly posted this was an option for able students.

One last time so we can understand the scenario

5 modules need to be sat for A level maths, average 96UMS for an A*
5 modules need to be sat for Further, average 96UMS for an A*
5 modules need to be sat for Add maths, average 96UMS for an A*

15 exams sat

If anyone is doubting that rather than arguing semantics I am willing to debate it.
Reply 15
Mr M
I raised an eyebrow at 100 UMS in D2 after 0 UMS in D1.

Edit: Not to mention 100 UMS in S3 after 0 UMS in S2.

This confirms your argument is flawed as its quite clear that is not the only option and to base an argument on it is somewhat limited.

Have 100 in S1, 0 in S2 if you really want, do what you like with th combos. End of the day 15 modules, average of 96UMS in each, with 2 A2 modules >90 and you have the grades.

Not up for debate
I don't think that scenario of getting either 100, 80 or 0 in every module would ever actually happen.
wishin_uk
Not up for debate

From the Edexcel specification:

"Students who complete fifteen units will have achieved the equivalent of the standard of Advanced Subsidiary GCE Further Mathematics (Additional) in their additional units."

"Students who complete eighteen units will have achieved the equivalent of the standard of Advanced GCE Further Mathematics (Additional) in their additional units."

Now I really can't be bothered to continue this squabble as it is beyond ridiculous.
Reply 18
Let me put an end to this..

Yes, you do only have to study 15 modules for 3 full A* alevels.

However, you must sit 18 modules, passing with avg 96UMS in 15, and failing the three you didn't study for.

As I said before though, it's ridiculous to ever think about, even for the cocky ones amongst us.

Why couldn't you think about the scenario properly instead of creating immature arguments? :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending