The Student Room Group

The world is going to be destroyed...

Poll

How would you choose the 1 million people?

The world governments found this out in advance, so were able to create advanced spaceships that can hold 1 million people. Therefore, 1 million people from the planet can be saved, and the rest will perish. These new spaceships can house life for centuries, but it is likely the inhabitants will search for a planet or moon to colonise.

Hypothetically, you have to decide the requirements for choosing the 1 million people. How would you decide?

Completely random? Like a lottery, so there's no discrimination?

Or, would you specify requirements, such as:

- IQ?
- Academic qualifications?
- Area of expertise? So there's a sufficient number of doctors, engineers, scientists, and so on.
- Atheism? So the new human civilisation avoids conflicts caused by religion.
- Looks? So the 1 million isn't just full of average/ugly people.
- Criminal background?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'd hide the spaceship somewhere in the middle of no where underground so its undetecable by any modern technology and the first few people to find it could decide who they want to come and the people who get to come get to decide the others who come and so on and so on.
Me + the world's top 999,999 sexiest women.

:yep:
Reply 3
The most religious get on :colonhash:
I'd want something like Noah's Ark, a human from every field.
I would leave behind -
criminals,
religious people (if gods *real* he'll save them),
people with IQs under 95,
chavs/people who are really a waste of space to be honest,
Random, but stratified proportionally to the actual population. It might create a world that has exactly the same problems as this one, but at least it would be fair.
mikeyd85
Me + the world's top 999,999 sexiest women.

:yep:

You'd get bored lol

Honestly, that may sound gay but it's true.
TheCurlyHairedDude
You'd get bored lol

Yeah, I know. I'd never have the courage to do anything with them! :rofl:
Wtf how many threads do you make per day. Get a life.
200,000 people selected based on skills, abilities and professions i.e. Doctors, engineers, scientists, teachers etc. The remaining 800,000 allocated via random lottery.

Sorted. :smile:
kuroshokora
Random, but stratified proportionally to the actual population. It might create a world that has exactly the same problems as this one, but at least it would be fair.

So, you would have the world's leading geniuses left behind, in the name of fairness? Life isn't fair, that's why the world is being destroyed and billions of people will die.
I think we should filter the gene pool. It is unfair on life that some people are able to breed, meaning that a soul is transplanted into what turns out to be an awful human being.

Find 250,000 super nerds.
Find 250,000 big and attractive men (screen them with an intelligence test and a douchebaggery test)
Find 500,000 attractive and fertile women.

Then you pair them off.

The way to police the population is to cull the stupid. If anyone turns out to be a dumbass they will be ejected into space.

Also, no Welsh people.
Each leader involved would get to pick who to take from their respective countries, the number would depends on their country's population.
Of course there would be a basic guideline, like a minimum of 50 engineers or w/e.
One million people is far too many. Only 44,000 virgin maidens deserve to be saved. Plus myself :gah:
mikeyd85
Yeah, I know. I'd never have the courage to do anything with them! :rofl:

Lol epic. I don't even know who I'd take :/

THREAD : I think 100,000 should be random picks, 100,000 also get picked who get to choose 1 per person so that's an extra 100,000,

Then loads of smart guys to figure out stuffs lol
dental-school
Wtf how many threads do you make per day. Get a life.

Go prune some teeth or something.
Reply 17
Margaret Thatcher
The world governments found this out in advance, so were able to create advanced spaceships that can hold 1 million people. Therefore, 1 million people from the planet can be saved, and the rest will perish. These new spaceships can house life for centuries, but it is likely the inhabitants will search for a planet or moon to colonise.

Hypothetically, you have to decide the requirements for choosing the 1 million people. How would you decide?

Completely random? Like a lottery, so there's no discrimination?

Or, would you specify requirements, such as:

- IQ?
- Academic qualifications?
- Area of expertise? So there's a sufficient number of doctors, engineers, scientists, and so on.
- Atheism? So the new human civilisation avoids conflicts caused by religion.
- Looks? So the 1 million isn't just full of average/ugly people.
- Criminal background?

This sounds so like doctor who haha!

Anyway, I have no idea.. I would probably do it randomly, otherwise it's just not fair obviously. I would rather not have any real bad criminals on the spaceship though :s-smilie:
TheCurlyHairedDude
You'd get bored lol

Especially since women in close proximity synch up their periods. It would be like one of the seven plagues of Egypt.
This is surely just the hot air baloon paradigm raised up a few notches, non ?

anyway, i really couldnt be arsed living on a spaceship.

Latest

Trending

Trending