The Student Room Group

History (V100) or English Literature???

I am making a final decision over which course I would like to study at university and am torn between English Literature and History. Both are my favourite subjects, however I did better in English at AS level than at History, even though I was initially going to study history at university. So...

Which course has better prospects in the future?
Which course is more engaging?
Which course do you personally find better and why?

Thanks for your help.

:smile:
History.
Reply 2
I'd do History, but only because I always found English Literature to be painfully, mind-numbingly dull. :3
Reply 3
Don't let exam results sway your decision. Pretend you don't know what your grades are, and answer these questions: which do you find more engaging? Which do you read about in your spare time? At the end of the day your personal preference will be the determining factor in what you study and how well you do.
Reply 4
I was torn between the same subjects. I still am in some ways.

I personally have decided on History, but I would say both subjects bare the same weighting and are both respected? I have started to find English horribly repetitive ''analyse this'' ''narrative technique'' ''symbols'' it's going to be the same thing, just with different texts. I am not sure I could hack that for 3 more years.
History.

You can be a rapper.

Reply 6
Perhaps a joint degree. You can find places to do both subjects in equal measure, or courses that are the majority English and less History and vice versa.
Reply 7
Thanks for all your help and suggestions. They helped me narrow it down to English LitQ Thanks again

Latest