The Student Room Group

1) Self-studying economics? 2) Is FM really hard? 3) GCSE importance?

Hello there. I'd really appreciate prompt replies since I actually start sixth form tomorrow.

My situation is as follows: I got 4 A*s, 6 A's and 1 B (Art) at GCSE but had extenuating circumstances - I was out of education for almost the whole of year 10 - and am wondering if universities will take this into consideration (i.e. exempt me from the ? A* requirement)? I'm currently thinking of taking maths, english lit, history and psychology (dropping psychology after AS). I originally wanted to take economics but they decided not to run it due to lack of numbers. I'm now thinking of either self-studying economics or taking FM instead of psychology, although I'm not sure I'm capable of taking FM.

1) Is it hard to self-study economics at AS? How do you go about it? What resources do you use? How do you know what to study? How do you know when coursework is due? Any people with experience of self-studying economics at A-level would be really helpful.

2) Is FM much, much harder than maths at AS level? I can't really think of anything else to ask.

3) Will I be at a huge disadvantage for only having 4 A*s, even with my mitigating circumstances?

Thanks!

Meleky.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
1) Had a teacher. But read the book in advance + took brief notes. Basically, summarised the textbook. Worked well. Resources - textbook + student guide (the thin green little books) = more than enough to get >80%. There is no coursework (at least none for Edexcel).

2) FM harder than AS Maths? Different planet. But, it's not too hard once you understand few basic rules and there are only limited types of questions they can ask you on the real exam, so once you get a good grasp of what you to do, then it's not too difficult. Past papers = success.

3) You should be fine (taking into account your mitigating circumstances).
Reply 2
goldsilvy
1) Had a teacher. But read the book in advance + took brief notes. Basically, summarised the textbook. Worked well. Resources - textbook + student guide (the thin green little books) = more than enough to get >80%. There is no coursework (at least none for Edexcel).

2) FM harder than AS Maths? Different planet. But, it's not too hard once you understand few basic rules and there are only limited types of questions they can ask you on the real exam, so once you get a good grasp of what you to do, then it's not too difficult. Past papers = success.

3) You should be fine (taking into account your mitigating circumstances).

You had a teacher as in a tutor but also self-studied? Or you just had a normal lesson in school? And where could I get the textbook/student guide? How would I know what exam board I'd be? Would the school pay for the exam or would I have to?

2) Hm, I'm not so sure about FM tbh. I think I'd prefer to self-study economics if I'm honest.

3) Thanks very much, I'm hoping this is the case.
Reply 3
Meleky
You had a teacher as in a tutor but also self-studied? Or you just had a normal lesson in school? And where could I get the textbook/student guide? How would I know what exam board I'd be? Would the school pay for the exam or would I have to?

2) Hm, I'm not so sure about FM tbh. I think I'd prefer to self-study economics if I'm honest.

3) Thanks very much, I'm hoping this is the case.

1) Normal lessons at school. Amazon. You choose - tell your principal or whoever is responsible for A-levels at your school that you would want to take Economics exams independently, search for exam centres near your area, contact exam boards and that's it I think. In 101% of cases the student is the one paying.

2) Does your school offer FM? If yes, then just attend the lessons, see if you can keep up with the pace. If yes - perfect. If no - try to take it to AS. If that's no, too - normal Maths.
Reply 4
goldsilvy
1) Normal lessons at school. Amazon. You choose - tell your principal or whoever is responsible for A-levels at your school that you would want to take Economics exams independently, search for exam centres near your area, contact exam boards and that's it I think. In 101% of cases the student is the one paying.

2) Does your school offer FM? If yes, then just attend the lessons, see if you can keep up with the pace. If yes - perfect. If no - try to take it to AS. If that's no, too - normal Maths.

1) Alright thanks a lot. Do you know how much it would cost?

2) They do offer it, yeah, but I'm starting to panic about getting behind now. Surely if I keep mucking around with subjects I'll have to catch up on everything? How long after you start does it start getting serious? I'd imagine the first week is just getting familiar with your environment etc?
Reply 5
Meleky
1) Alright thanks a lot. Do you know how much it would cost?

2) They do offer it, yeah, but I'm starting to panic about getting behind now. Surely if I keep mucking around with subjects I'll have to catch up on everything? How long after you start does it start getting serious? I'd imagine the first week is just getting familiar with your environment etc?

1) In my college we had to pay £40 per paper. But private candidates pay more, £70 (?).

2) Well, for FM I had to do S1, S2, FP1, FP2, FP3 and M3. First three were easy, last three were nasty :smile: Okay, weren't too bad - manageable. Had bit harder, as in the beginning I took Maths, only in May Year 12 realised that in order to get to top universities I will need FM. So in Year 13 had 8 modules (instead of 6) to study for. All in all went better than I initially thought it would. So scrap what you have heard about FM and just take it now. At least you will never have this 'what if' feeling.
Reply 6
goldsilvy
1) In my college we had to pay £40 per paper. But private candidates pay more, £70 (?).

2) Well, for FM I had to do S1, S2, FP1, FP2, FP3 and M3. First three were easy, last three were nasty :smile: Okay, weren't too bad - manageable. Had bit harder, as in the beginning I took Maths, only in May Year 12 realised that in order to get to top universities I will need FM. So in Year 13 had 8 modules (instead of 6) to study for. All in all went better than I initially thought it would. So scrap what you have heard about FM and just take it now. At least you will never have this 'what if' feeling.

Ah right, that's fine.

And were those for AS and A2 or just AS FM? My plan is either to take maths, history and english literature at A2 and FM at AS or self-study economics at AS.

Would having FM at AS put me a disadvantage? I've heard that some universities count maths and FM as one subject if you're applying for English literature or something like that?

FFUU, I'm so confused tbh.
Reply 7
Meleky
Ah right, that's fine.

And were those for AS and A2 or just AS FM? My plan is either to take maths, history and english literature at A2 and FM at AS or self-study economics at AS.

Would having FM at AS put me a disadvantage? I've heard that some universities count maths and FM as one subject if you're applying for English literature or something like that?

FFUU, I'm so confused tbh.

How about Maths, Economics, History + AS FM? Stronger subject combination for an Economics applicant. Basically, do whatever you can to have as much of Maths + Economics as possible.

If someone was to apply for Eng Lit, I really doubt they would have Maths + FM :smile: You never know though ...

But yes, generally, if you are to have Maths + FM, then you need 4 subjects at A2. Maths + FM = '1.5' A-level.
Reply 8
goldsilvy
How about Maths, Economics, History + AS FM? Stronger subject combination for an Economics applicant. Basically, do whatever you can to have as much of Maths + Economics as possible.

If someone was to apply for Eng Lit, I really doubt they would have Maths + FM :smile: You never know though ...

But yes, generally, if you are to have Maths + FM, then you need 4 subjects at A2. Maths + FM = '1.5' A-level.

Naw, I won't take FM then. And I'm undecided between taking Economics, English Literature or something else at university. I know I should decide but I'm not aiming for Oxbridge/LSE/Warwick so yeah, hopefully I'll be alright.
Reply 9
Meleky
Naw, I won't take FM then. And I'm undecided between taking Economics, English Literature or something else at university. I know I should decide but I'm not aiming for Oxbridge/LSE/Warwick so yeah, hopefully I'll be alright.

Oh, I see. If Econs - take AS FM. Eng Lit - not an expert, but I don't think it's that necessary, better to focus on the present subjects.

:smile:
Reply 10
goldsilvy
Oh, I see. If Econs - take AS FM. Eng Lit - not an expert, but I don't think it's that necessary, better to focus on the present subjects.

:smile:

I guess I could take FM AS in my second year. Would I have an advantage for economics if I take economics AS instead of psychology AS?
Meleky
I guess I could take FM AS in my second year. Would I have an advantage for economics if I take economics AS instead of psychology AS?

Well, I reckon most Economics applicants will have Maths and Economics at A2, so you will only shorten the gap between them.
Reply 12
goldsilvy
Well, I reckon most Economics applicants will have Maths and Economics at A2, so you will only shorten the gap between them.

So I'm screwed basically?

F M L.
Reply 13
Meleky
So I'm screwed basically?

F M L.

If your school won't teach economics or FM you are absolutely not screwed. Next year make sure your referee/s include that you couldn't study them with the school.
It would be good to self teach one of those as an AS to show your dedication to the subject but your school isn't being very helpful so you can't be blamed for not having those A levels.
And yes, doing FM would be much better than psychology. Good luck.
Reply 14
Bakeyy
If your school won't teach economics or FM you are absolutely not screwed. Next year make sure your referee/s include that you couldn't study them with the school.
It would be good to self teach one of those as an AS to show your dedication to the subject but your school isn't being very helpful so you can't be blamed for not having those A levels.
And yes, doing FM would be much better than psychology. Good luck.

They're not offering economics but they are offering FM, although I'm not sure if they had adequate numbers for that either. My mum's going to ring the school tomorrow and ask if they're running economics and, if not, whether I can self-teach it. I just don't feel like I'd manage FM so yeah.

I NEED SOMEBODY WITH EXPERIENCE OF SELF-TEACHING ANYTHING - PREFERABLY ECONOMICS - TO SHARE THEIR EXPERIENCE WITH ME.

Pl0x.
Reply 15
Meleky
My mum's going to ring the school tomorrow and ask if they're running economics

Why aren't you ringing up?
Reply 16
roginho
Why aren't you ringing up?

'Cause I'm a big baby, okay?
Reply 17
Meleky
'Cause I'm a big baby, okay?

I got that from your 'I'm too scared of FM' comment but I was just wondering if there was some special reason.

Anyway, as you were...
Reply 18
roginho
I got that from your 'I'm too scared of FM' comment but I was just wondering if there was some special reason.

Anyway, as you were...

I don't feel like I'm good enough at maths to take FM. It's a sensible decision as far as I'm concerned.
Reply 19
Meleky
They're not offering economics but they are offering FM, although I'm not sure if they had adequate numbers for that either. My mum's going to ring the school tomorrow and ask if they're running economics and, if not, whether I can self-teach it. I just don't feel like I'd manage FM so yeah.

I NEED SOMEBODY WITH EXPERIENCE OF SELF-TEACHING ANYTHING - PREFERABLY ECONOMICS - TO SHARE THEIR EXPERIENCE WITH ME.

Pl0x.

You need to calm down, you're overreacting to your situation as it really is not that bad.

Teaching yourself Economics Alevel is quite a simple task due to the amount of online material you have at your disposal which in many cases will be much better than the standard of teaching in many colleges. Get yourself a good textbook, philip allen revision books, and as you go through the topics do follow up work using resources from the tutor2u economics site. The content in alevel economics really is not hard, and it does not take a long time at all to learn the content.

The most important thing is to get practice doing past papers (And i mean doing every past paper question available stretching as far back as possible), so I would learn the content fairly quickly and then start practicing questions. he skill which you need for sucess in economics is to be able to link how a change in one economic variable will affect all the different areas of the economy, and then for each affected area be able to evaluate the strength of the effect and reinforcing effects etc. It is a very simple process of answering questions which you will develop and hopefully perfect in time for your exams, through practice.

Thus plan your time carefully for the next two years, keep motivated and focused, and it should be no problem. The skills you learn from self teaching far outweigh any setbacks of doing a subject alone.

On the issue of FM, there is no harm in taking it up, and then dropping it if the pressure is too much. FM is ofcourse a step up from alevel maths, but it is not massively more difficult. One thing to note is that many people do not get to grips with FM untill just before their first set of exams because they are not used to the pace of learning which is required to do FM alongside normal maths, so don't give up too quickly if you are finding it difficult.

(I taught myself AS and A2 FM in one year whilst doing 4 A2s)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending