The Student Room Group

Would you want to survive a nuclear war?

So, I watched this really old drama from the 1980's that the BBC made called Threads.

It depicts nuclear war and the after effects it would have on Britain. Needless to say, its depressing.

So my question is, would you even want to survive a nuclear war? What would be the point in surviving? The only thing you have to look forward to is radiation, starvation and misery.

If I knew for sure that nukes were incoming, I think I would just commit suicide and save myself the long, slow death.

Scroll to see replies

Im no where near brave enough to kill myself I would be like an extra from the road or something similar
Reply 2
I would like to survive as long as possible, despite the drawbacks.
Reply 3
Probably not. What would be the point in living if most of your family has died and you're going to give birth to mutant children?
Reply 4
Not really. But I don't particularly fancy finding out what it's like to just evaporate either.
No.

The internet wouldn't exist any more.
I think I would want to survive. Survive and try and rebuild a new society where nuclear weapons didn't exist, and to make sure the world remembers those that did die.

Though, if there was a nuclear war, I doubt there'd be a world left.
yea. aslong as i was the only man and there were hundreds of women:hump:
if its skynet then hell yeah - who doesnt want to fight with laser weaponry on a field of skulls with HK's..............

looks around

just me then????????

in seriousness no i wouldnt want to see the direct aftermath, id rather die in the blast than suffer from starvation, radiation poisoning and the dregs of humanity.

What follows i will admit to being curious as to what will occur after the war - say a century down the line
Sweet_Comrade
I think I would want to survive. Survive and try and rebuild a new society where nuclear weapons didn't exist, and to make sure the world remembers those that did die.

Though, if there was a nuclear war, I doubt there'd be a world left.

dont be so arrogant - of course there will be a world left - mankind has not yet developed the ability to destroy a planet. Nor will it eradicate all life, we might not survive but our planet which mankind is merely a speck in its existence will continue (and be better off) without us
Reply 10
If I was going to die I'd make sure that my 'radiation shadow' is comical. By putting a cucumber in front of my crotch, so in a hundred years time when people come to survey the damage I'll appear to be extremely well endowed.
Reply 11
I'd like to die in the quickest, least painful way possible. So standing right next to a nuclear bomb would be the best way.

Put it this way - better than concentration camp!
No.
I hate babies as it is, nevermind babies with 3 feet.
depends....although I would probbably end up like the dude from zombieland....searching for the elusive twinkie bars
I would take the opportunity to rebuild a different world.
silverbolt
dont be so arrogant - of course there will be a world left - mankind has not yet developed the ability to destroy a planet. Nor will it eradicate all life, we might not survive but our planet which mankind is merely a speck in its existence will continue (and be better off) without us

How is that being 'arrogant'?

It may not destroy the planet, but the radiation can cause sterile landscapes where nothing can grow for years. Animals may still be alive in the places which haven't been bombed, but who knows what kind of life they'll lead with all that radiation in the atmosphere?
Reply 16
Sweet_Comrade

It may not destroy the planet, but the radiation can cause sterile landscapes where nothing can grow for years. Animals may still be alive in the places which haven't been bombed, but who knows what kind of life they'll lead with all that radiation in the atmosphere?

God. Are you French? The arrogance is seeping through your beret!
Sweet_Comrade

i think i phrased that harsher than i meant - bear in mind the radiation wont kill all life even on the surface - cockroaches for instance.
Nor will it cover the entire planet. The planet earth survived a metorite several hundred times the power of our most powerful weapon slamming into and life survived. It would continue to do so.

Will it change? yes but thats the nature of things, but it will survive and it will adapt as it has always done. Mankind may survive as well but i garuntee we will be worse off than the planet.

However to say that humans hold the power of life and death over our world is very arrogant. It speaks of people thinking we are more than we are.
Threads is a very well made docu-film. Chilling watching.
silverbolt
i think i phrased that harsher than i meant - bear in mind the radiation wont kill all life even on the surface - cockroaches for instance.
Nor will it cover the entire planet. The planet earth survived a metorite several hundred times the power of our most powerful weapon slamming into and life survived. It would continue to do so.

Will it change? yes but thats the nature of things, but it will survive and it will adapt as it has always done. Mankind may survive as well but i garuntee we will be worse off than the planet.

However to say that humans hold the power of life and death over our world is very arrogant. It speaks of people thinking we are more than we are.

Humans hold the power of life and death over the vast majority of animal and plant life. The planet earth would survive geologically, just like Venus survives the storms which go on all the time there.

Latest

Trending

Trending