The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

As someone with experience of this, it's easilly doable.

The real problem comes from learning the course in the wrong order. I did Maths, Chemistry and Biology in a year. I was doing C3 while doing C1. F321 before F324. It definitely made things a lot more complicated.

If you have the option, definitely try and self teach it in the right order, at least in one subject. I don't really know how it is with humanities subjects as the closest I got was English Language A Level, where you could easilly do module 4 without doing module 1, but the Sciences are very dependent on the module before it. If Module X depends on knowledge from Module W, make sure you know the bare minimum from W to give you a foundation at least, no matter how rickety.
Reply 21
Ive just left a sixth form intensive college...i only did chemistry intensive but know lots of people who did 3 subjects intensive.

Dont under estimate how much work it is....of course it is do-able
BUT,
a lot of the people i know who did 3 intensives didnt end up doing too well x
Reply 22
Silent Man
I've already enrolled at a my college and on my timetable it says I will have two lessons for each subjects a week. Which means I have 6 classes a week.

Just wondering if it's doable and get the grades I want.

Sorry - I must have misread that. I read the title and presumed that you had wanted advice BEFORE taking action. Seems highly risky to do so afterwards. :yep:

It's doable, but extremely difficult. Make sure you pull out all the stops and you should be okay. I cannot guarantee this though.
Reply 23
TwilightKnight
As someone with experience of this, it's easilly doable.

The real problem comes from learning the course in the wrong order. I did Maths, Chemistry and Biology in a year. I was doing C3 while doing C1. F321 before F324. It definitely made things a lot more complicated.

If you have the option, definitely try and self teach it in the right order, at least in one subject. I don't really know how it is with humanities subjects as the closest I got was English Language A Level, where you could easilly do module 4 without doing module 1, but the Sciences are very dependent on the module before it. If Module X depends on knowledge from Module W, make sure you know the bare minimum from W to give you a foundation at least, no matter how rickety.

explain to me why you were doing it in the wrong order?
W.H.T
explain to me why you were doing it in the wrong order?

Because I was self teaching AS while attending lessons in A2? It was the only realistic way I could fit it in a year because I missed college last year due to my health.
Silent Man
I have no idea how it works. I need to speak to the teachers. I assume you take all the AS exams in January and the A2 exams in the summer :s-smilie: Or have I got it completely wrong? :o:

Don't you have read for a lot of subjects? :s-smilie: History and G&P should be fine because I'm interested in that field. It's just sociology which might be a problem because I don't know what to expect.

With History (and I imagine G&P) you will have quite a lot of extra reading to do. However, with Sociology if you just learn the textbook you will absolutely fine.
Reply 26
TwilightKnight
Because I was self teaching AS while attending lessons in A2? It was the only realistic way I could fit it in a year because I missed college last year due to my health.

Oh, I thought you were on an intensive course.

but, how comes you didn't attend AS lessons as well?
W.H.T
Oh, I thought you were on an intensive course.

but, how comes you didn't attend AS lessons as well?

Because in reality, I needed to be teaching the AS at an accelerated rate. They really take their time at AS, when the content can be taught very quickly. I managed to finish Chemistry AS and Maths AS before Christmas. Biology A2 seemed less dependent on AS than those, so I took my time with it and finished around March.

Sitting A2 exams in January was a bit detrimental though. I got A's, but they were relatively low A's. When I came round to do them in summer again as resits (keeping in mind I was doing 13 exams in the Summer. I had no idea how well I was really doing, so I wanted to hedge my bets), topics 'clicked' much more than they had before, since I then had full AS knowledge.
DPLSK
It's possible, although extremely difficult. I would advise you to consult with the colleges that you think you will be going to before finalising the decision.

If you're doing it on your own - forget it. It's enough stress doing them all in a year, but doing them w/o assistance is asking for trouble. Unless you think you're that clever. I don't think I am.

I would advise you to take them over 2 years. It'll work out better that way. :yep:

Im doing three A levels in one year AND teaching myself.

Started doing them about a month ago and I'm about a third of the way through the AS.

Are you suggesting I'm a genius? :rolleyes:
Reply 29
miike1234
Im doing three A levels in one year AND teaching myself.

Started doing them about a month ago and I'm about a third of the way through the AS.

Are you suggesting I'm a genius?

I would never suggest you're a genius. I'm saying the following:

- If you get crap grades, you're as smart as I am.

- If you get good grades, you're smarter than I am.

- If you get excellent grades, you're smarter than most the people I know.

Either that or you work like really bloody hard to get good grades. In any case, not a genius - just a lot smarter/hard working than I am. :yep:
******** of reading and you'll be fine. I would've taken more Maths if I were you.
Reply 31
Silent Man
No chance :eek: I'm retaking my maths gcse in November and I don't like Science/Maths subjects. I prefer humanities subjects and essay based ones.

Furthermore I have a B in English and I'm hoping to study Theology at University.

should have picked up philosophy/religious studies
Silent Man
Right, I couldn't get in to a normal two year A level course because I didn't have "7 gcses". So it was either an Access course or the intensive A levels course. I'm 20 by the way.

Have I made a mistake? Is it possible to get AAB/ABB?

The A levels I picked were...

*History
*Government & Politics
*Sociology

I left out English because I believe that would be too hard, and I've already picked a hard A level in History, so I opted for a "soft" one instead, which was sociology :p:

They are not intensive.
Yes it it possible to get AAB
You should probably push yourself a little harder.
doable...
Reply 34
Silent Man
Really?

Out of a scale of 1 to 10, how had was it for you and what did you get? Also, would you have gotten the grade you got, if you did it in one year, rather than 2?

Throughout the two years when we did in class assessments and essays I consistently got As and Bs; As were more common with the European Union side of the course.

I did love the European side of the course - truly brilliant. But then again, my teachers were also fantastic.

Could I have done it in one year? If I had the will to do it in one year, probably.
I did history + joint English in a year to keep my mind a bit (in)active before going back to uni. One 3 hour lesson of each a week, did very little work, got As in both.

This is one of those questions that is pretty much irrelevant, no one here can really say how easy or hard it will be for you.
Yes. It is if you work your backside off.
Yes, easily.

No, not much reading.

English isn't hard.

Sociology is probably more work.

7 GCSEs? Lol I got in with three.

Good luck.
Reply 38
If you do nothing but and have an amazing tutor? Yes.

But I wouldn't dare attempt it! Surely it's better to take two years and ensure that you get the best marks you can, especially that now resits are really baaaaaad for admission to Unis.
Silent Man
Right, I couldn't get in to a normal two year A level course because I didn't have "7 gcses". So it was either an Access course or the intensive A levels course. I'm 20 by the way.

Have I made a mistake? Is it possible to get AAB/ABB?

The A levels I picked were...

*History
*Government & Politics
*Sociology

I left out English because I believe that would be too hard, and I've already picked a hard A level in History, so I opted for a "soft" one instead, which was sociology :p:

Yeah, Its possible... I would do English as its really complemented by History..

Latest