The Student Room Group

Why Was Joseph Goebbels Burial Site Kept secret?

It says on Wikipedia

The remains of Hitler and Braun were repeatedly buried and exhumed by SMERSH during the unit's relocation from Berlin to a new facility in Magdeburg where they, along with the charred remains of propaganda minister Joseph Goebbels and those of his wife Magda Goebbels and their six children, were buried in an unmarked grave beneath a paved section of the front courtyard. The location was kept highly secret.

Why the secrecy behind Hitler and his closest Aides deaths/burial sites?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
They dont want them becoming a place for people to go and celebrate his life.
Reply 2
I would like to think it was so no one could change his gravestone to 'Broseph Goebbels', but I am guessing becaue of the, erm, lets say, controversial nature of what he and fellow deejays in the Nazi Party throughout their time did in power would cause a lot of people to want to know where his body is and hang it in a square Mussolini or something.
I think it was to stop people going there to worship their graves. Like Neo-nazi's etc.
Reply 4
Krakatoa
I would like to think it was so no one could change his gravestone to 'Broseph Goebbels', but I am guessing becaue of the, erm, lets say, controversial nature of what he and fellow deejays in the Nazi Party throughout their time did in power would cause a lot of people to want to know where his body is and hang it in a square Mussolini or something.

From what I heard its the opposite, people don't want such places becoming neo-Nazi shrines. That's why Hitler's bunker is supposedly under a car park somewhere in Berlin.
Reply 5
To stop them becoming a mecca for neo nazis, same reason that Hitlers Berlin Bunker is sealed up.
Reply 6
Sakujo
From what I heard its the opposite, people don't want such places becoming neo-Nazi shrines. That's why Hitler's bunker is supposedly under a car park somewhere in Berlin.

Yeah thinking about it probably makes sense.
Reply 7
You'd get some people wanting to dig up the remains and do weird stuff with it.

What makes you ask by the way?
johno090
You'd get some people wanting to dig up the remains and do weird stuff with it.

What makes you ask by the way?

Was watching a program on Hitler, it talks about his death but not what happened after.
Reply 9
:erm: strange people in this world
If those are the reasons...why don't they just cremate the remains?
pina.Love
:erm: strange people in this world
If those are the reasons...why don't they just cremate the remains?

He was cremated.
Two words: Neo-nazi Necropheliacs.
Idiot-Finder
He was cremated.

and where was that put...was it spread somewhere or buried?
pina.Love
and where was that put...was it spread somewhere or buried?

A river I think.
Becoz He'z Still Alive Leading A Secrit Nazi Base On Teh Moon To Cum And Invade Earth In 2012!!!111!!1one!!11
Reply 15
Oh my Ms. Coffey
Was watching a program on Hitler, it talks about his death but not what happened after.

Thats cos nobody is really sure what happened. He was burned by the Germans, then was buried and moved twice by the Russians, then supposedly buried again, but they have what is apparently some remains of his skull in an archive in Moscow.

I think its pretty safe to say there is no definitive answer.
Riderz
Thats cos nobody is really sure what happened. He was burned by the Germans, then was buried and moved twice by the Russians, then supposedly buried again, but they have what is apparently some remains of his skull in an archive in Moscow.

No, that was shown to be a female skull of someone far younger than Hitler.
Same reasons German authorities don't want to publicise Hitler's underground bunker, because they don't want the wrong type of people to go worship it.
Reply 18
Worship and Shrine erection.

Nazi scum.
Riderz

But how can there be no definitive answer for what happened after the death of arguably one of the most if not the most infamous person ever.

Latest

Trending

Trending