The Student Room Group

UCAS Applications 2011 **Look in Here First**

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Thanks for that - don't think the actual individual subject or grades appear on the certificate as everyone studies the same subjects and you have to pass them all to get the cert and continue to Bachiller but I need to check that.
Reply 21
Hmm this doesn't sound ideal. Maybe my master plan wont work out after all.
Reply 22
There isn't a minimum length, but if it's too short things may be missed out. The maximum is 4000 characters, same as for your personal statement. If you've read your reference do you think there is anything missed out? If so, ask if it can be added.
Just choose where you want to go and put in the application. You'll have the same number of choices so there is no point in waiting to see if you get offers any way.
I would apply to a range of universities to give yourself the best chance of getting somewhere, it is definitely getting more competitive.
Hi!!!! I'm applying to 2011 cycle as an individual applicant.
My referee wrote only 1100 characters long reference for me. it is a very well written piece but is it too short for the application (only 1/4th of 4000).

I'm worried if this will be a problem when universities will read my reference and just reject me straight away.

for those who are applying independently and those who gets to read your reference, How long is your reference????

thanks...:p:
Reply 26
Hmmm well this is less than 200 words :confused:

Now I'm worrying and thinking who else mature students get their uni references from??
Good bloke
You have no choice but to declare your year at university in the education section of the UCAS application. Whether you mention it in your PS is up to you, but you must have gained something from studying a similar subject for a year, surely?

OK, great, thanks for answering. But where in Education do I put it? I did my exams and got marks..but for the first year only. My careers teacher said not to mention it...but then he mentioned it in my reference..argh,
YellowDucksOnBlueSocks
OK My careers teacher said not to mention it...

Thenhe isn't very well informed on UCAS issues. You should read http://www.ucas.com/students/applying/howtoapply/education/

You must include all schools, colleges and universities that you have attended since the age of 11, even if you withdrew from your course. There is space to enter up to 10 centres.

For each school and college, you provide details of:

all qualifications for which you have accepted certification from an awarding organisation, even if you're retaking all or part of the qualification

all qualifications for which you are currently studying or awaiting results

Good bloke
Thenhe isn't very well informed on UCAS issues. You should read http://www.ucas.com/students/applying/howtoapply/education/

Thanks! You've been a great help! I'll phone UCAS up on Monday aswell just to make sure i'm doing it right
Reply 30
Lulope
I'm considering applying for maths and was wondering if this plan would work.

1. Apply for Cambridge, St Andrews and Glasgow by October the 15th.
2. Wait and see what happens with these ones.
3. Either (a) If I get all rejections apply to like Aberdeen and Strathclyde or something like that OR (b) If I get offers apply to like Imperial and Warwick.

Obviously though, for this plan to work, I need to get replies to my offers in before the final deadline so I can apply to the other places in time.

Thanks for any help.
Unless you are pooled, you will have heard definitively from Cambridge by January 15 (and might have done even if you are, most poolees know within the week if they are getting anywhere). Glasgow may have responded by then; St Andrews seems to take its time in general, but it might be different for Maths.

Either way, you have nothing to lose by leaving those choices free for the moment and adding them in later, as long as you do so by January 15 - I reckon you'll be in a position to take a reasonably informed view of what those choices should be. If you aren't, you can always add in the low risk choices.
(edited 13 years ago)
Hi!!!! I'm applying to read maths in 2011 cycle as an individual applicant.
My referee wrote only 1100 characters long reference for me. it is a very well written piece but is it too short for the application (only 1/4th of 4000).

I'm worried if this will be a problem when universities will read my reference and just reject me straight away.

for those who are applying independently and those who gets to read your reference, How long is your reference????

thanks...:p:

Please please reply me....
Reply 32
bump

Im interested on this, even though my PS at the moment is 2865 characters lol
Reply 33
Is there anything you can do about it?
ussumane
bump

Im interested on this, even though my PS at the moment is 2865 characters lol

Its not personal statement it a REFERENCE.
I am applying individually so I have to type down my reference which I got from referee on my own in UCAS form.
BumperBo
Is there anything you can do about it?

I'm afraid nothing but......may be some companions..
Reply 36
cazzy-joe
Its not personal statement it a REFERENCE.
I am applying individually so I have to type down my reference which I got from referee on my own in UCAS form.
No you don't - the system has changed. See this.
(edited 13 years ago)
cazzy-joe

You seem to equate length with quality, which is a very strange way to look at a piece of writing. You should also bear in mind that some teachers have to write many references; if each took as long to write as you have probably spent on your PS the teacher would never get any teaching done.

Stop worrying and get on with the rest of your application.
Minerva
No you don't - the system has changed. See this.

Last date for old system is 29 September but I will put it down today itself.
that wont cause a problem right??
Good bloke
You seem to equate length with quality, which is a very strange way to look at a piece of writing. You should also bear in mind that some teachers have to write many references; if each took as long to write as you have probably spent on your PS the teacher would never get any teaching done.

Stop worrying and get on with the rest of your application.

tbh I'm the only student applying to UK from my school. Others are staying back in Bangkok for university which do not even need a recommendation letter. I personally feel that my school teachers are super lazy.
And also I have finished all other parts.:frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending