The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Magnum Opus
No, because no-one has forced him to cancel it, in fact, that's a GREAT thing. Even Obama could just say one word and get people to arrest him, but no, instead he has the choice to continue with what he's doing, or be a better man and stop it. That's the wonderful thing, he has freedom of expression, and that hasn't been taken away from him throughout all of this.

He was under great pressure, by the State Department, the White House and et cetera, Not to mention the threats from Muslims - remember Theo van Gogh, Salman Rushdie?
Addzter
Doesn't look like they're moving it, but they have arranged a meeting between the Imam in charge of the cultural centre and the Pastor and the Imam from the same town who also opposes the project.

Hmm. Crafty move by the Imam it seems. Luring the Pastor away on 9/11 when he planned to burn the books, only to come out of it telling him the mosque won't be moved.

But the Pastor will just do the burning another time, so it's just a short-term delaying move.
Reply 82
callum9999
Obviously not. Especially as the sole purpose of him owning those books in the first place was to burn them as he knew it would hurt people.

Despicable man - I'm glad the local community there also seem to despise him.

:rofl:
Tobts
You're a hypocrite. You have no problem when Muslims completely disregard the sensitivities of others, but you think it is OK to infringe on the rights of others if they are violating the sensitives of Muslims.

Well I personally don't see redeveloping their own cultural centre as on a par to someone burning the koran because they know it will deeply upset people - but if you do then I guess I do look like a hypocrite to you.

On the other hand, you look like an islamophobe to me, so goes both ways I guess.
Tobts
He was under great pressure, by the State Department, the White House and et cetera, Not to mention the threats from Muslims - remember Theo van Gogh, Salman Rushdie?

But he still had the freedom of expression, and carried on with what he was doing... that was never taken away from him, he could still continue with this if he wanted to... and don't bring **** about "threats from Muslims" into this, that's ********.
Magnum Opus
No, because no-one has forced him to cancel it, in fact, that's a GREAT thing. Even Obama could just say one word and get people to arrest him, but no, instead he has the choice to continue with what he's doing, or be a better man and stop it. That's the wonderful thing, he has freedom of expression, and that hasn't been taken away from him throughout all of this.

I don't believe that for a second. I'm sure Barack or the State Department had a word and told him to stop being such a child or else.

Yes, he can legally burn a Qur'an, but if it's only going to rally the fanatics in the Middle East it's not worth it. Not to mention what Betrayus said about it.
good, now people can stop ******* complaining...although i doubt that would happen. although its good that the imam was able to strike a diplomatic solution to this pastor's idiocy. Though Jones got his media attention, so the only conclusion of this whole escapade is that the media are ******* retarded and willing to put people's lives at risk for the sake of a cover story.
Dream Weaver
*sigh* another freedom of expression stopped by islam.

He's decided not to do it of his own accord, not because the human embodiment of 'Islam' somehow threatened him.

:facepalm:
Reply 88
Jackthevillain
Is was damaged by debri from ground zero attacks though so basically it was impacted by the attacks it just like me telling someone to stop complaining about Hurricane Katrina effecting New Orleans when that wasnt when the eye of the storm hit.

Just so as you know, the eye of a storm is the calm bit, & the bits around it the worst :p:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eye_%28cyclone%29
Addzter
He should use his freedom of expression wisely instead of stirring up trouble between the faiths.

that goes against freedom of expression though.........................

you can say anything you want......however just don't offend muslims
Dirac Delta Function
I really don't think they need to build this thing to break down barriers, existing mosques should be sufficient.

The stupidity of their protests is evident to most of us on TSR, but what matters is what they think, and with 25% of the American population so far gone as to think Obama is a Muslim, there is clearly a huge chasm between ignorance and enlightenment for a lot of Americans. At this moment in time, they need to feel that their collective voice carries weight and not that they are fighting a war for their country against a fifth column. If Muslims can be seen to be sensitive to their views and mature enough to be the bigger man, rather than belligerent conquerers-by-stealth, then they will deal a double blow to both their detractors and to the Islamofascist terrorists abroad salivating at another opportunity to recruit mindless drones to commit mass murder.

No doubt, they have a constitutional right to build it, but just because they have the right to do it, doesn't mean they should.

I would agree with you, if it weren't for the fact that this isn't a mosque, it's not a place of worship, it's a place of community and outreach, for anyone. Beyond that, this community already existed there before any of the sensitivities took hold, so it's not as if they're moving there purposefully to add insult to injury, they were already there. I don't believe we should say to a group of people that they shouldn't be allowed to stay where they are because of the actions of others. I think that's wrong, and is a very slippery slope towards mass racism/islamophobia, and has distinct parallels with anti-semitism leading up to the Holocaust. We all have responsibilities.
Reply 91
why give the attention seeker so much media attention?
Reply 92
The_Male_Melons
What a stupid thing to say.

1. It is not just some random book. It is followed by Billions who hold it in high regard.

2. No, they should go around shooting people because they look "funneh" and that they are "Jews" , "Muslims", or "left wing" cos I follow fox news. If they are not doing that in their spare time, they are abusing kids.
It is easy to spread ignorant moronic posts. Isn't it? Burning a book that held in a high regard damages relations and clearly unChristian.

3. What are you on about? What is this waffle? Are you trying to imply that what Extremist do such as blowing up buses is right? I hope not. It is wrong. Exactly, what are you insinuiting? Or do you just like to make comments that are stupid and ignorant and brush a tag on a billion people?

Now now, let's not twist my words :rolleyes:

1. It's stil just a book. Let me repeat that. Just a book A book with millions of copies. A few arn't going to be missed. I mean it's a little childish to get so riled up about it. I mean, I like Tolkien, Pratchet and R.L.Stine. But you know, if you wana burn their books, fine by me. You bought them.

2. I'm sorry, what now? I'm British, I don't watch Fox :L And I don't read the Daily Mail either :wink:

3. No, not implying, stating. Islamic extremists are known to somewhat frequently commit violent acts of terror. You can't deny that. You can say they're not Muslim, you can say they're misguided, you can say whatever. The fact remains, they're Muslim. ANd here you've tried to twist my words. I clearly sai extremists that's not billions of people. Most likley only a few million by the common definition. That said, I think all Muslims are far too extreme.
Gandalf_is_a_girl
There was an Islamic centre near Ground Zero the past 10 years and funnily enough, you weren't bothered. Why the fake concern now?

If it was built there before the attacks then it obviously has no effect on the residents as they know this Islamic centre was not trying to claim any glory if you catch my drift and to be honest I didnt say I supported or didnt support the mosque being built I was just saying how it was directly effected by ground zero but was in a secondary way through debri from the attacks.
Reply 94
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
that goes against freedom of expression though.........................

you can say anything you want......however just don't offend muslims

What goes against freedom of expression, me saying he should use it wisely?!

True freedom of speech means you can say whatever you want (with obvious limits e.g. threats against someone's life, blackmail) but it doesn't mean you should say what you want if you're going to cause trouble.
Stalin
I don't believe that for a second. I'm sure Barack or the State Department had a word and told him to stop being such a child or else.

Yes, he can legally burn a Qur'an, but if it's only going to rally the fanatics in the Middle East it's not worth it. Not to mention what Betrayus said about it.

No it's not worth it, I don't think it is at all, I don't think it's right, and in honesty if someone has told him to pack up or ship out, I would fully support them. I do think, though, that if as you say someone from up on high has said that, then all it takes is a call to Fox News, and the media would have a field day over the Islamisation of the government, the fact that hasn't happened says to me that no-one has forced him to shut up.. yet.
Pastor Terry Jones is a very clever man, although in my opinion very unpleasant.

This issue has undoubtably spurred up a lot of tensions with Christians and Muslims around the world, which is the opposite of what we need.

His 'stunt' (as Obama put it) has grabbed media attention at a convenient time, albeit for the wrong reasons, and he has probably profitted greatly from it.
Reply 97
Dream Weaver
*sigh* another freedom of expression stopped by islam.

You mean hate crime.
Win for the power of terrorist threats.

alaroche
You mean hate crime.

I think something has to be a crime before it can be a hate crime. The only crimes committed in this fiasco are by those hundreds who sent death threats and those groups who used the threat of violence against American embassies to blackmail support out of politicians.

He's decided not to do it of his own accord, not because the human embodiment of 'Islam' somehow threatened him.

:facepalm:

Not the human embodiment of Islam, just hundreds of individuals and some Muslim groups.
aKarma
Just so as you know, the eye of a storm is the calm bit, & the bits around it the worst :p:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eye_%28cyclone%29

My bad but New orleans was not the worst effected place or else more would of been flooded due to its low placing.

Latest

Trending

Trending