The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

bmt
Just saw this aswell. Mine haven't been certificated, I have taken all the modules both for AS and A2 in 3 subjects and just AS in one other and havent certificated any of them.

I know this because I had to sit there with the numbers figuring out whar grades I would have got if I had certificated them.

The danger for you, then, is that universities might think you have taken three years to do what others achieve in two and may raise their offers (which is reasonably common) or not make an offer at all.
Reply 21
Good bloke
The danger for you, then, is that universities might think you have taken three years to do what others achieve in two and may raise their offers (which is reasonably common) or not make an offer at all.

That's what I'm thinking, I think I may have took bad advice :|.

However, the grades I achieved were decent (A*AAB (the problem is the B was in mathematics which i need an A in)) and the predictions I will get will be A*A*A*A and I have a year of very good work experience so hopefully they will be able to see that I am not as much of a gamble as some people in similar positions.
Reply 22
i don't know what's going on here lol
Reply 23
oh people, don't you get help from your teacher for ucas application OMG
Reply 24
What if you retook the year and didn't do exactly the same as levels second time round and you did get A-E first time round? I did 2 ASs the same and 2 different ones second time round...arghh UCAS is soo complicated!
Reply 25
Good bloke

They raise offers if you have taken three years? :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
Reply 26
Are we meant to enter all of our AS's separately, even if we're carrying them onto A2? Isn't that a bit pointless, if they can see we're doing the A2 then we obviously did the AS, doesn't 'GCE Advanced Level' mean AS and A2?
This is a bit of a strange question but I never encountered this problem last year when I applied. I completed my A Levels this year and I've added them onto the UCAS application. However, I am now trying to add on my AS Level (dropped after year 12) but there is no option for adding an AS qualification, only -

GCE Advanced Level
GCE Advanced Level with Advanced Subsidiary (9 units)
GCSE
GCSE: Double Award

Other qualification type not in this list

In 'other qualifications' there is 'AS Level first/last award 2001' which isn't the right qualification. :confused:

My AS is cashed in etc. from last year, am I missing out something simple here? Help, please! :woo:
Retrospect

My AS is cashed in etc. from last year, am I missing out something simple here? Help, please!

Presumably you have an advanced subsidiary (i.e. AS), first awarded in 2001. Why do you think that isn't the right one to go with?
Good bloke
Presumably you have an advanced subsidiary (i.e. AS), first awarded in 2001. Why do you think that isn't the right one to go with?

Because some specifications have been revised (from 2008), for example OCR Psychology and AQA Biology.
Reply 30
Hi,

I'm currently taking a gap year and applying as an individual- I will re-sit some modules in January.

I'm sitting the exams externally at a different centre to my previous school. By filling out the exam centre name, I don't want to give the impression I'm studying there because I'm just sitting exams there. So do I enter the exam centre name and centre code, or just put something like 'self teaching' and then put the centre code?

If I have to enter the details of this centre, should I just put I'm attending from Jan 2011-Jan 2011 (when I will re-sit). Do I select part time student?

Thanks
Reply 31
Retrospect
This is a bit of a strange question but I never encountered this problem last year when I applied. I completed my A Levels this year and I've added them onto the UCAS application. However, I am now trying to add on my AS Level (dropped after year 12) but there is no option for adding an AS qualification, only -

GCE Advanced Level
GCE Advanced Level with Advanced Subsidiary (9 units)
GCSE
GCSE: Double Award

Other qualification type not in this list

In 'other qualifications' there is 'AS Level first/last award 2001' which isn't the right qualification. :confused:

My AS is cashed in etc. from last year, am I missing out something simple here? Help, please! :woo:

I am experiencing the same problem! Have you figured out how to add AS levels accurately, yet? It is perplexing me to no end :woo:
Good bloke

I assumed that this applied to an old group of AS qualifications (it was the inclusion of the year that confused me... did ASs not exist before then?), and also the fact that it wasn't listed alongside the main qualification options.

Fluidity
I am experiencing the same problem! Have you figured out how to add AS levels accurately, yet? It is perplexing me to no end :woo:

No need to be perplexed. :p: I've put it under 'AS first award 2001', hopefully that is right. I can't see it being any other way, really, though it's still kind of odd.
Retrospect
did ASs not exist before then?)

Yes, and if you took one before then there is an award called AS, last award 2001 or some such name.
Reply 34
Hi guys :smile: I have some issues I hope someone can help me with!

1) Firstly I took AS drama and theatre studies at my sixthform in june 2009 on AQA but then moved to college to finish the A2 but transferred exam boards to Edexcel..
So do I put the AS under my sixthform and if so do I put it as AQA or Edexcel? And presumably put the A2 under my college as Edexcel?

2) Ok so I took AS maths last year and got a B, i'm doing it now for A2, but I'm retaking C1 in January and plan to retake C2 in June, how do I enter this?

3) When I enter an A2, e.g. Chemistry, when it asks for modules do I put all the AS modules and also the A2 modules?
Reply 35
(edited 13 years ago)
Good bloke
Yes, and if you took one before then there is an award called AS, last award 2001 or some such name.

Thank you for your help.
acquiesce
i have the option to withold my as grades as pending but HAVE to decide today

the AS are generally one grade below my predicted grades A*AAb seeing as i underperformed this year (due to extenuating circumstances)

will admissions officers at top universities such look unfavourably upon pending AS grades,

and can they find out the grades if they want to?

Admissions tutors are not stupid. They know that candidates who are proud of their AS grades will find a way to let them know what they are (via the reference or the education section) in order to squeeze every advantage from their application. Those who don't reveal their grades are at risk of being assumed to be not keen to reveal them, and the universities are at liberty to decide what factors are important to them. That is all that can be said.
Reply 38
Hi everyone, i also have a problem with this "module breakdown" thing from the UCAS application, I got my A-level results this summer, and i am going to apply for 2011, at Oxford University; Materials Science, a course in which the relevant A-levels, in order of importance, are(approximately), Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Further Maths.
My module breakdown of these A-levels is:

Maths: A* (edexcel)
C1: 86/100 A
C2: 100/100 A
C3: 95/100 A
C4: 100/100 A
S1: 96/100 A (interchangeable with M1&M2)
S2: 79/100 B (interchangeable with M1&M2)

Physics: A*
(My physics was a CIE exam, so my module grades have no UMS)
Paper1: A
Paper2: A
Paper3: A
Paper4: A
Paper5: A

Chemistry: A (edexcel)
Unit1: 120/120 A
Unit2: 102/120 A
Unit3: 48/60 A
Unit4: 92/120 B
Unit5: 68/120 D
Unit6: 60/60

Further Maths (AS level, not A2): A
PF1: 79/100 B
M1: 86/100 A (interchangeable with S1&S2)
M2: 80/100 A (interchangeable with S1&S2)

ALL THIS =

Maths: A*
Physics: A*
Chemistry : A
(and)
(AS);FurtherMaths: A

(I also have Biology A2(CIE): A and Spanish A2(edexcel): A, but those are not relevant to the course, i suppose)

So, my question is: Shall i put ALL my modules UMS grades (first case scenario) in my UCAS application "education" section, or NONE of them (second case scenario)??

I have increased in size the ones i am worried about, and highlighted in red and increased in size of the ones i am VERY worried about.

I really don't know which option to choose, if anyone could help me figure out what would be the best thing to get into Oxford, i would really appreciate your reply and reasoning.
Thank you very much.
(edited 13 years ago)
aTlberT
Shall i put ALL my modules UMS grades

You seem to be confused between UMS marks and grades. There is no such thing as an UMS grade, and only module grades can be declared on the UCAS application. I don't see why you wouldn't declare them.

Latest

Trending

Trending