The Student Room Group

Help! Need to decide on a University Course...

Hi all. This may be a bit long but thanks for reading it if you do.

I'll hopefully be going to university next year. The current subjects I am studying for A2 are Mathematics, English Language and Literature and Chemistry, predicted A*, A and B/A respectively. However, I really don't know what course to choose and I need to figure it out pretty soon because I'm trying to write my personal statement, which is difficult when you don't know what your applying for :eek3:

I would love to be a writer/novelist in the future (or even a musician), but that dream doesn't require me to have a degree and so I think I'd be wasting my time if I chose to study English at University. Publishers will look at the novel they've been given, not at qualifications the writer has - I believe that a good novelist has the natural talent/ability, and so writing would be something I'd do on the side during University for my own pleasure and benefit. I love Mathematics because I'm good at it and it can be really interesting at times. I don't really want to narrow it down to engineering or accounting because I've known to love it in general. However I'm not sure what I would do with it once I leave University since I don't really want to be crunching numbers for the rest of my life, but then again I want to be fully grounded with a job that will get a decent amount of money for myself and my parents especially.

Having said that, I've tried looking at Universities that offer Mathematics and English as a joint honours or major+minor but hardly any do, and the ones that do offer it are not somewhere I'd like to go. I think that leaves me with the option of just a single honours course in the field of Mathematics, but I'm really not sure which one which is why I need your help and suggestions. I am really looking for a course at a university ranked in the top 20/30, such as Nottingham, Warwick, Manchester, Sheffield etc. because I want to aim for a place I will be content with. (Birmingham is out of the question because its too close to home :p:)

Hopefully you guys can help me out with a pretty big decision because going to University means alot to me :smile:
Reply 1
Have you thought about subjects not related to your a levels?
You could apply for subjects such as criminology or philosophy?
I know sheffield do a joint mathematics and philosophy course, it might keep it more interesting if your just doing maths because you dont know what else to do. It could also give you more ideas as a writer if you did do philosophy or another subject like it?

Sheffield also do business management and mathematics joint course if your doing it purely for getting a job after?
A level Az
Hopefully you guys can help me out with a pretty big decision because going to University means alot to me :smile:

It's of little help, which I apologise for ... but if going to uni means a lot to you, you should know what you want to go there for.
The University of Glasgow does a four year master's degree in English Literature and Maths, if you'd like a joint honours at a great university + cheaper tuition fees! They want 3 As I think.

For straight maths:

http://www.manchester.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/search2011/atoz/course/?code=00590

Would be really good, Manchester is an amazing place!

I would advise you to do the UCAS careers test thing and research all of your options thoroughly :smile:
Reply 4
TheSownRose
It's of little help, which I apologise for ... but if going to uni means a lot to you, you should know what you want to go there for.

I know, and I really hate myself for that.
Reply 5
If you really don't know, have you thought about taking a gap year and applying next year? You don't want to make a rushed decision and then realise that you hate your course.

None of us can really tell you what to do, only you can decide that. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.
Reply 6
Cross_Your_Fingers
The University of Glasgow does a four year master's degree in English Literature and Maths, if you'd like a joint honours at a great university + cheaper tuition fees! They want 3 As I think.

For straight maths:

http://www.manchester.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/search2011/atoz/course/?code=00590

Would be really good, Manchester is an amazing place!

I would advise you to do the UCAS careers test thing and research all of your options thoroughly :smile:

Hi thanks for the ideas. I did read about Glasgow but I wasn't very excited about the entry requirements or the location personally, considering where I live. However, Manchester sounds really good and I'll definately consider it :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending