The Student Room Group

Foundation year or not?

Hi all

This summer I got a place to study Law (LLB) at the University of West London (after attending an Open Day and liking their campus), however I wasn’t sure whether I wanted to go to university or not, so I decided to take a gap year.

After reading some things online about the university (I.e some people saying it’s not very good), I’ve been thinking of applying in this years cycle to try and get a place at a better university, however i would have to do a foundation year as I only achieved 92 UCAS points.

All of the courses I have been researching have been Law (LLB) with a foundation year, at the following universities:
Royal Holloway
University of Kent
Westminster University

Should I take my current, three year place at UWL, or should I try and apply to another university which is more highly ranked but where I would have to do a foundation year?

Thanks
Original post by adc2212
Hi all

This summer I got a place to study Law (LLB) at the University of West London (after attending an Open Day and liking their campus), however I wasn’t sure whether I wanted to go to university or not, so I decided to take a gap year.

After reading some things online about the university (I.e some people saying it’s not very good), I’ve been thinking of applying in this years cycle to try and get a place at a better university, however i would have to do a foundation year as I only achieved 92 UCAS points.

All of the courses I have been researching have been Law (LLB) with a foundation year, at the following universities:
Royal Holloway
University of Kent
Westminster University

Should I take my current, three year place at UWL, or should I try and apply to another university which is more highly ranked but where I would have to do a foundation year?

Thanks

Hi there,

It would seem you have a fair bit to consider here. It basically seems you need to decide whether you would like to do an additional year and take a slight risk by giving up your existing place to reapply, or whether you would like to stick with your place and do a shorter course at a university you're now not sure about.

One suggestion I would make is revisiting the University of West London and going to open days at the universities you are considering (if possible), as this will help you to decide where you might like to go. There are lots of things to consider: course content, availability and price of accommodation, cost of living while studying, careers support/opportunities, societies/clubs/activities to get involved in, etc. It's a big decision and you should definitely take the time to weigh up all of these factors, and not just focus on what is a more highly ranked university. I would definitely also look at student satisfaction ratings for each university too.

I hope this helps!
Original post by adc2212
Hi all

Royal Holloway
University of Kent
Westminster University

Thanks

Hi there

I am a final year law student at the University of Kent, and I know a few people who did a foundational year.
From my perspective, having a foundational year would equip you with all the skills you need to perform well in Law LLB. I know there is a particular focus on essay writing here at Kent. Depending on the subjects which you have taken in A levels, you may or may not have had the opportunity to develop writing skills in a legal context. A foundation year would therefore be quite useful.

Here are some other factors that you could consider:

Whether financing would be an issue? This could impact how many years you decide to study at University.

Would you want to enter a law career? Law is a competitive industry, and often employers will look at rankings of Universities, which is something to bear in mind.

What modules you are interested in? Different Universities will offer different modules, and it is important to check they offer the modules you are interested in.

What style of learning suits you? University of Kent is a critical law school- this means we study the law in its surrounding context: social, political, historical etc. If this is interesting to you, you could research a bit more about it.

Hope this helps.
If you have any queries about studying law at Kent, I am happy to answer them! :smile:
Chloe
University of Kent Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending