The Student Room Group

Year abroad dilemma

I've posted this elsewhere, but need as much help as possible :smile:

Hi everyone. I know this isn't strictly health and relationships, but hopefully it'll be ok here because it is sort of related. Basically, the situation is I'm currently on a 4 year degree course which includes a year in America in the third year (I'm just about to start my second year). However, recently I've been having a few doubts; my best friends are my flatmates, who are all on three year degrees, so this will be my last year at uni with them should I go, and the situation is the same with my girlfriend. I'm not particularly keen on leaving them all, particularly my girlfriend (I'm really not sure if we'd last in an LDR), although I know it's not the most concrete reason given we could break up etc. She's also very close with my flatmates, so if we were to break up, it'd be quite awkward in terms of living. On the other hand, I'm worried that if I don't go, I'll be passing up a great opportunity and would regret it. I've just been emailed by the tutor of another course who said she'd take me on if I wanted to make my degree joint honours, which would mean no year abroad, and my understanding is that this would only mean me doing one extra module from the first year, so presumably I'd only need to pass it anyway, so the academic POV doesn't really matter. Please, if anyone has been in a similar situation, or has any views, let me know. I'm so split :frown:
Mate I have a similar dilemma!
I'm tossing up going to university in England (I live in Australia, but am English) or studying here. I have some great friends here and I'm really really close with my family.

I've decided that I most likely want to study in England because it'll be a much better uni experience for me and I'll definitely stay close with all the people here!

For your dilemma mate, I'd say to get yourself to America! Unless you would prefer to do the joint honours, this would be the best for you I think. You can still stay close with your flat mates, and I hope that your girlfriend won't stress too much about 'a year away'. Remember, the distance from England to American isn't THAT big! I don't know about prices but I'm sure they (flatmates/girlfriend) could come to see you or you could come home during the summer.

I studied in another city of Australia and we had loads of US exchange students. They all had their friends come for a holiday. I know circumstances can be very different, but I bet it'd be great!!

All the best!!
Reply 2
Stop being a pansy and man up. Yes, you and your girl mightn't last, but that happens. Hell, you could break up tomorrow. It's not that important a reason. You have an amazing chance to go study in another country for a fraction of the cost. Don't give that up. Your friends will be there when you get back, even if they aren't in uni. It happens to a lot of people. Just do it, man. It's an amazing chance and your friends would want you to go.
I can definitely understand why you're struggling with this decision, it's a big deal to leave family and friends behind. But it's only for a year.. less than that, even, it's just one academic year. And you'd most likely want to come back for Christmas anyway so it wouldn't seem like that long. Look at it this way - you probably won't ever get an opportunity to spend this much time in America ever again. So if you're not bothered by that and would prefer to just pass on it, then don't go. But if you think you'll be more likely to spend your time here wishing you'd gone, then you should just go. It's an adventure! Embrace it! :smile:
Reply 4
Have you applied for it yet or gone?
I'm off to Australia next year and nearly cancelled everything but you know if you have a great girlfriend and great mates then when you come back you'll be able to fit right back in with routine but ofcourse alot would have changed... Definitely such a good opportunity not to miss imagine how many other people would love to have it but they can't!
Reply 5
Go on the year abroad. Trust me, it's an awesome opportunity and you will never get anything quite like it again.
Reply 6
Do it! If it's not for the reason that you wouldn't like america then go. Friends who really do care will be there when you get back, trust me.
Reply 7
I don't want to sound cold and uncompassionate BUT remember that this is your future-university is what you make it- i'm sure your friends didn't apply to university to just hang out with you
Get your education/experience and if your g/f supports you then im sure the ldr will work

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending