The Student Room Group

Law or english at uni?

Hi so I'm having a bit of a dilemma at the moment.
I'd always wanted to do law because, at least in my head, it was always the practical choice. I went to an LSE law student shadowing thing and could really see myself doing it, but I've just started an English course at Cambridge and now I'm confused as to what I want to do as my passion for it seems to have been reignited.
Preferably, I'd apply for English at Cambridge and law at my other unis, but I don't think that's possible (?).
If I were to do English for 3 years and then do a conversion course, does the extra time (1 year) really matter? Also, for anyone that has done a conversion course into whatever subject, what was your experience of that?
To complicate things further, I'm considering doing a year abroad, in France, but I'm not sure if I have the confidence to do it. If anyone has, and could please let me know how they found it, then that would be great
Original post by emilyjones_542
I'd always wanted to do law because, at least in my head, it was always the practical choice. I went to an LSE law student shadowing thing and could really see myself doing it, but I've just started an English course at Cambridge and now I'm confused as to what I want to do as my passion for it seems to have been reignited.
Preferably, I'd apply for English at Cambridge and law at my other unis, but I don't think that's possible (?).
If I were to do English for 3 years and then do a conversion course, does the extra time (1 year) really matter? Also, for anyone that has done a conversion course into whatever subject, what was your experience of that?
To complicate things further, I'm considering doing a year abroad, in France, but I'm not sure if I have the confidence to do it. If anyone has, and could please let me know how they found it, then that would be great
you can only upload one personal statement so basically to have any chance to get into cambridge you would have to write it about english which would hamper ur chances in the other courses unfortunately, doing a conversion course is totally possible I have two friends who are doing that this year from two unrelated subjects to law. In terms of a year abroad thats totally something you should do, I went on a year abroad and it was the best expierence ever, most people will say the same!
Original post by teilchen
you can only upload one personal statement so basically to have any chance to get into cambridge you would have to write it about english which would hamper ur chances in the other courses unfortunately, doing a conversion course is totally possible I have two friends who are doing that this year from two unrelated subjects to law. In terms of a year abroad thats totally something you should do, I went on a year abroad and it was the best expierence ever, most people will say the same!
that's really helpful thank you so much! i get nervous about being away from home for so long, so that's the main reason why im a bit hesitant.
that's really helpful thank you so much! i get nervous about being away from home for so long, so that's the main reason why im a bit hesitant.
yeh I get that, I actually went the whole way to China and honestly I was so busy I didn't feel nearly as homesick as I thought! its defo one of those you miss the chances you don't take scenarios :smile:

Hi,

So I did an English Lit degree because I knew that I was passionate about English but wasn't 100% set on law at that stage in my life (although my plan was always to do a conversion unless I changed my mind). I really enjoyed my undergrad degree and then did the law conversion last year. It is a bit of a change in terms of the workload and the topic but many of the core skills are the same and I had no issue adapting (I managed to get a Distinction and am now on the BPC). In terms, of the extra time, it makes no difference. Lots of people do the conversion and due to the nature of a career in law, people change to law at all sorts of time so even in the conversion class the age range was from those having just graduated to people with 20 years experience in another career.

I would say, do the topic you enjoy the most :smile:

I hope this helps and good luck!

Sophie
Original post by UniofLaw Student
Hi,
So I did an English Lit degree because I knew that I was passionate about English but wasn't 100% set on law at that stage in my life (although my plan was always to do a conversion unless I changed my mind). I really enjoyed my undergrad degree and then did the law conversion last year. It is a bit of a change in terms of the workload and the topic but many of the core skills are the same and I had no issue adapting (I managed to get a Distinction and am now on the BPC). In terms, of the extra time, it makes no difference. Lots of people do the conversion and due to the nature of a career in law, people change to law at all sorts of time so even in the conversion class the age range was from those having just graduated to people with 20 years experience in another career.
I would say, do the topic you enjoy the most :smile:
I hope this helps and good luck!
Sophie

I think you can get away with doing a non-law degree at a top 5 university and still have good employment prospects but it becomes harder the lower down the rankings you go, especially if applying to a top commercial law firm in London.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending