The Student Room Group

starting a new job dilemma

Ok so I've got a part-time summer job lined up for the start of July (which is like a week away). My dilemma is how I'm going to get around missing the first 2 days without looking like an absolute idiot.

For context - my birthday is this week and as a gift, my friend got us concert tickets which aligns with my first day of work. What also doesn't help is we live like 3 hours away from London so we are going to stay the night as it will be impossible to get public transport so late. To conclude the timing could not be more off.

I know one of my coworkers did something similar at my old job, she communicated that she was going abroad and would start as soon as she got back but I think she did it well in advance and told them in the interview whereas my 2-day trip popped up very last minute.

The job itself is a temp part-time summer role as a store assistant, nothing too demanding however I know they're going to have to find someone to cover the 2 days which reflects so poorly on me.

Yeah so how should I go about this, should I call in beforehand since I have a week to notify them? should I just pop by at the induction and tell them a day in advance? my friend said to say its a family emergency but I feel guilty lying about something so random.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Ok so I've got a part-time summer job lined up for the start of July (which is like a week away). My dilemma is how I'm going to get around missing the first 2 days without looking like an absolute idiot.

For context - my birthday is this week and as a gift, my friend got us concert tickets which aligns with my first day of work. What also doesn't help is we live like 3 hours away from London so we are going to stay the night as it will be impossible to get public transport so late. To conclude the timing could not be more off.

I know one of my coworkers did something similar at my old job, she communicated that she was going abroad and would start as soon as she got back but I think she did it well in advance and told them in the interview whereas my 2-day trip popped up very last minute.

The job itself is a temp part-time summer role as a store assistant, nothing too demanding however I know they're going to have to find someone to cover the 2 days which reflects so poorly on me.

Yeah so how should I go about this, should I call in beforehand since I have a week to notify them? should I just pop by at the induction and tell them a day in advance? my friend said to say its a family emergency but I feel guilty lying about something so random.

You should tell them as soon as possible, so they can make arrangements for you starting a couple of days later. Just explain the situation -- things like this can happen.

Bear in mind that they might be making special arrangements for the day you start -- perhaps scheduling in an additional person to help train you. If you tell them early they can work around the change. If you drop it on them last-minute it won't reflect well on you.

If you try the "family emergency" line on them you may have to make up more lies if they ask for details.

If you're honest, you'll be able to talk about the concert you went to, and post about it on social media (if that's your thing). If you lie about why you weren't at work, you'll have to keep your lips firmly sealed about the concert in case they put two and two together.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending