The Student Room Group

Training contracts

I wish to become a barrister, nevertheless I am open to doing any thing I can get. Hence I might apply for a training contract to see whether they would take me. They are all 2 years in advance the applications? Do you start the training contract after the LPC??

Thus with an LLM at camb next year, and then the LPC I would be applying two years in advance, right? Thats is, if I applied now. :askpig:

Sorry I can never actually be bothered reading the intricacies on forms. :biggrin:
You apply for Training Contracts a year in advance. The firms pay for the LPC and such it is part and parcel of the training contract so to speak. However, you begin your trainign with the firm itself after completing the LPC.

Thus if you are doing an LLM, you apply for a training contract at the end of your thrid year, before embarking on the LLM.
Cheers Octanethriller, all the answers!

So ignorant, lets just hope I can do the job. When I won a EU prize I worked for the company who sponsored it and it was so boring.
Reply 3
erm no.

Some training contracts are 2 yrs in advance if you want a bigger firm and only the bigger firms pay for the LPC.
All most all of the Bigger city firms that do corporate/commercial type work will pay for your LPC. You apply to them the year before you graduate, so that when you do graduate, you can take the LPC that they have paid for and then you once you have completed the LPC you begin training with them at the firm itself.

I think that Laura was asking about the larger firms. I should have made that clearer.
Reply 5
Most of the top 8 have just whacked up their maintenance grants for this next year too.
Reply 6
im afriad thats not right! most of the top london firms recruit 2 years in advance, as Laura originally stated. This can be firm specific of course but the general rule is 2 years in advance. Id do some research if i were you cos you wouldnt want to miss any deadlines as it will delay you another year.
Reply 7
she should be looking to apply now if she decides to as they are 2 yrs in advance and she has her LLM year to go and then LPC year.
If they are paying for the LPC, then you apply a year before the LPC begins - correct?
Reply 9
No!nearly all top london firms paying for the lpc, and so thats why they take applications and recruit trainees 2 years in advance.
Reply 10
next batch of recruitment will be for 2008
Reply 11
yeah tis true viviki
Hi all,

Actually it appears that even many of the 'little' firms in the Hull and East Riding area even recruit two years in advance. I noticed this yesterday, with many of them closing applications in August.

Laura
Ok according to the 'Training Contract and Pupillage Handbook 2005', you apply to firms in the summer vacation bwetween the second and third year of your degree. Therefore, if Laura is doing an LLM, which is 1 year extra, she applies in the vacation between her 3rd year and her LLM year. That is what I have been trying to say!
This debate is fantastic, lets apply for every thing just out of interest and see how it goes :smile:

Or, as in the case of our law society president, just get a 2,2, and do a speech infront of a firm get an interview, then get training contract because the clients will love you. This is a true story and I am sure he would not mind me mentioning it.
Reply 15
octanethriller
Ok according to the 'Training Contract and Pupillage Handbook 2005', you apply to firms in the summer vacation bwetween the second and third year of your degree. Therefore, if Laura is doing an LLM, which is 1 year extra, she applies in the vacation between her 3rd year and her LLM year. That is what I have been trying to say!

Well, no - it says between the second and third year of your degree, and it doesn't really matter if you intend postgrad afterwards. It's better that she applies at the end of her second year along with everyone else, and then explain that she will be taking the LLM. That's what people I know did.
Reply 16
why would she have applied for a post for 2007 and then explained that she can't take it til 2008 better just to go for 2008 recruitment.

The training contract handbook is just a guide anyway.
Yes I know its just a guide. I'm just pointing out that what I said wasn't wrong. You can do it either way as I do also know some people who have deferred entry till after an LLM.
Oh well thanks for all you help. I have never really bothered with these guides, or the pesky careers person who handed me one. :smile: I even upset the careers service when our lecture was changed, making me turn up 5 minutes late. As you can imagine, they were far from impressed :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending