The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
badger-man

As for believing in Jesus to be saved, that is made very clear in the Bible and I do not see how it can be interpreted in another way. If you choose not to literally interpret such clear messages then why literally interpret any of the Bible? Why even believe in Christ if you are going to chop and change the religion to fit you?

Could you maybe list a few passages where you think it is clear that you must have an explicit personal belief in and acceptance of the historical person of Jesus Christ to be saved? Because I'm not at all sure that it is clear. (Also how would you interpret 'saved'? Do you not think there is the opportunity of post mortem conversion? Besides the biblical evidence for this, I find it hard to imagine how a god of love without limits could set a limit to forgiveness at death, especially if in the end everyone will realise the reality of God. Would God just say "Sorry, you had your chance"?)

P.S. Personally coming to a position of universalism wasn't exactly to fit me - when I first realised the alarming potential of such a view my reaction was something more like horror and I tried to forget it. Which is weird, you'd think I'd have been ecstatic... :s-smilie:
Reply 21
pina.Love
It is how you live you life that determines whether you get to heaven or hell. There is no point in thinking I believe in God and then drink, smoke do drugs, kill and rape everyone and think just because you believe in the "right" god you will go to heaven.

Even that's not entirely accepted. Try reading the Confessions of a Justified Sinner if you want some insight into the bizarre Calvinistic understanding of the infallibility of those who have been 'saved' - the concept basically suggests (and its exploited in the novel) that once a person has - by the preordinated will of God - reached a state of salvation, they cannot fall from it.

This is actually a more literal Biblical interpretation than most. Calvinists were fairly hot for that, and indeed the whole concept of Predestination - basically an alienation of free will. It still forms the view of many mainstream Christian denominations' views on salvation - such as the dear old Church of Scotland.
totoro
Could you maybe list a few passages where you think it is clear that you must have an explicit personal belief in and acceptance of the historical person of Jesus Christ to be saved? Because I'm not at all sure that it is clear. (Also how would you interpret 'saved'? Do you not think there is the opportunity of post mortem conversion? Besides the biblical evidence for this, I find it hard to imagine how a god of love without limits could set a limit to forgiveness at death, especially if in the end everyone will realise the reality of God. Would God just say "Sorry, you had your chance"?)

P.S. Personally coming to a position of universalism wasn't exactly to fit me - when I first realised the alarming potential of such a view my reaction was something more like horror and I tried to forget it. Which is weird, you'd think I'd have been ecstatic... :s-smilie:

here's a passage:
9That if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. 10For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved.
Romans 10: 9-10
Reply 23
pink giggle
here's a passage:
9That if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. 10For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved.
Romans 10: 9-10

Sorry I should have said ONLY by a personal belief in and acceptance of Jesus...
totoro
Sorry I should have said ONLY by a personal belief in and acceptance of Jesus...

Romans 10:9 as mentioned earlier and

John 3:36 - He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.

These passages do not state that you only have to beieve in Jesus but they do state that it is one of the requirements, thus upholding my point that the Bible says only believers in Jesus can enter the kingdom of Heaven.
Reply 25
badger-man
Romans 10:9 as mentioned earlier and

John 3:36 - He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.

These passages do not state that you only have to beieve in Jesus but they do state that it is one of the requirements, thus upholding my point that the Bible says only believers in Jesus can enter the kingdom of Heaven.

Hang on, I don't mean that it is one of many requirements, but that it is perhaps not the only way. How can someone have an explicit personal faith for example if they have never heard of Jesus? I do not deny that Jesus is the only way to God, just question the explicit belief part.
Reply 26
FroKane
Im sure that you take great pride in saying that you have your own personla beliefs and you are tolerant of people of all other cultures and faiths, and you may even have numerous friends in those alt categories.

Now while thats all fine and well I bring up the fact that if you are a christian with a muslim freind (or vice versa) you have to live with the fact that your friend doesnt matter how long you have known him/her is going to go to hell simply because they belive in 'the wrong god'

How can you call yourself a loving christian when you have the belief that innocent people of other faiths are going to spend thier afterlives burning in agony?

I await for your rationalisation of this topic.

My god... and most gods I beleive... don't need you to follow them or even believe. They just ask you to be a good person, do good deeds etc. You don't get condemned to hell for being wrong about something. God all the athiest or TSR are so annoying you ask dumbass questions to make people who believe feel like idiots. We don't all follow religions word to word and by the book you know!
Reply 27
FroKane

but if a drug dealer who has been poisining and killing people for most of his life decides to attend church and seek atonement he can be an ******* for the rest of his life as long as he confesses before he dies.

Well, no, just because you say "sorry" doesn't mean you're forgiven. For a start, you have to mean it, as in, you have to actually be sorry.

Equally, we are saved by grace, through faith shown by good works. So to believe is not quite enough; you have to show that by your Christian lifestyle.

The drug dealing "believer" falls short by not practicing what he preaches.
I believe that if you are good and don't kill anyone and just try to live to the best of your ability you'll be fine. I was always told that to get into Hell you want to end up there. And it takes a lot of effort to be so bad it warrants going into hell. Whereas most people day to day if they do anything a little bad I dunno like stealing or what not they'll just go to purgatory then head up to heaven :smile:.
But I think that goes for everyone no matter what faith/or lack of.
Reply 29
I don't see any logical link that means believing people may suffer in the afterlife means you're not loving.

I could equally say how can you be a loving person when you know innocent people born in poorer parts of the world are suffering - there's just no real link between the two statements.
tbh, I don't really spend time thinking about what's gonna happen after I die.

Not my place to judge, I don't decide who lives, who dies. I don't choose who goes to hell, who goes to heaven. So, naturally it would be arrogant to judge my friends in that way.
FroKane
Im sure that you take great pride in saying that you have your own personla beliefs and you are tolerant of people of all other cultures and faiths, and you may even have numerous friends in those alt categories.

Now while thats all fine and well I bring up the fact that if you are a christian with a muslim freind (or vice versa) you have to live with the fact that your friend doesnt matter how long you have known him/her is going to go to hell simply because they belive in 'the wrong god'

How can you call yourself a loving christian when you have the belief that innocent people of other faiths are going to spend thier afterlives burning in agony?

I await for your rationalisation of this topic.

For my part, I don't believe they'll go to hell. In fact, I don't believe they're doing anything wrong at all by having another religion. Simple. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending