The Student Room Group

funding a second degree

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Shani
But a criminal record would not look good on your CV, which, if you're caught and charged with fraud (which SF do, maybe not whilst your studying, even years later) will happen.

Fair enough that's a good point, but I thought they'd check it all out from the off, rather than pinning you years later. Anyway, changing name and location should solve the problem?
Original post by glittersticks
I didn't ignore it - what I was referring to is that you could slip through the net but then it might well be picked up on later. And that isn't true: there's a number of exception courses where you can receive the maintenance loan (and supplementary grants if applicable) if you're doing them as a second degree such as social work, medicine, dentistry, architecture. For postgraduate initial teacher training you can get all the same full support as an undergraduate.

Apart from the moral impliations, wouldn't it be a pain in the a*** to pay back all that money if you were caught? It would be done as a payment plan, too, as the loan is being reclaimed as an overpayment, and so would not be subject to the favourable repayment terms of a loan you've received and kept. You can go ahead arguing all you want, but lying on an application is fraud. The terms and conditions of the loan state this. Don't do it.

Ok, these are good points.
Reply 42
I agree that it is wrong for them to limit people to just one degree. Funding should be given for a second degree as many teenagers fresh out of high school do not really know what they should or want to study and are forced to go into higher education no matter what.
Everyone is entitled to education and money should not be a barrier.

How can some people be so ignorant and disagree with that?
Original post by hero
I agree that it is wrong for them to limit people to just one degree. Funding should be given for a second degree as many teenagers fresh out of high school do not really know what they should or want to study and are forced to go into higher education no matter what.
Everyone is entitled to education and money should not be a barrier.

How can some people be so ignorant and disagree with that?

Valid points, but it's a recession and there's a line of argument that people with direction, maturity and a good 1st degree are valued over those having to re-enter higher education.

And if we're being brutally honest, most people in this position are doing a 2nd degree to not face the grim reality's of working life, rather than a real passion and determination for a given degree.

^^^ And I say that as a relatively bright person who didn't do himself proud in his degree, either. I accept I have those big flaws and so will face the world head on.
Reply 44
Original post by Physics Enemy
Valid points, but it's a recession and there's a line of argument that people with direction, maturity and a good 1st degree are valued over those having to re-enter higher education.

And if we're being brutally honest, most people in this position are doing a 2nd degree to not face the grim reality's of working life, rather than a real passion and determination for a given degree.

^^^ And I say that as a relatively bright person who didn't do himself proud in his degree, either. I accept I have those big flaws and so will face the world head on.

or to actually do a second degree because their first degree has zero job prospects due to the changing economy. When i started my degree 7 years ago, funding for research was at its peak - now with all the cuts research jobs are hard to come by. The only real secure jobs are medicine, pharmacy, vet science and only the former is funded. is pharmacy any less important? not really which is why i'd have to take out a private bank loan if i wanted to do it. I don't think most people are taking 2nd degrees just to avoid working. I'd rather have cash in my pocket and a job than do another 4-5 years at uni.
Original post by Opalfire
or to actually do a second degree because their first degree has zero job prospects due to the changing economy. When i started my degree 7 years ago, funding for research was at its peak - now with all the cuts research jobs are hard to come by. The only real secure jobs are medicine, pharmacy, vet science and only the former is funded. is pharmacy any less important? not really which is why i'd have to take out a private bank loan if i wanted to do it. I don't think most people are taking 2nd degrees just to avoid working. I'd rather have cash in my pocket and a job than do another 4-5 years at uni.

Good points. Hey, I'd love to do another degree myself.
I've been thinking ...

If you apply for an undergraduate masters (4 years) having already obtained a BSc, then I think you'd be eligible for funding, as per the 'course length + 1 year minus previous years study' rule.

The key part being the qualifications aren't of the same level; BSc is Level 6, the MSci (or whatever, MMath, etc) is Level 7.

I've tried this on the SLC calculator and it still works.

Anyone disagree with me on this?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 47
You're right in that you won't be subject to ELQ fees, but the normal formula will apply in determining how many years funding you can have.
Original post by Shani
You're right in that you won't be subject to ELQ fees, but the normal formula will apply in determining how many years funding you can have.

Yes. So it'd be maintenace loan for Years 1 and 2 and then everything for Years 3 and 4 (plus grants). Correct?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 49
If you already have 3 years study, yes.
Original post by el pollo diablo
Unless it's Pharmacy. Even though Pharmacy is an undergraduate masters it's considered a bachelors for ELQ purposes.

That's harsh. :-|
Reply 51
yes thats harsh and the whole point in my thread as i wanted 2 do pharm as my 2nd degree :frown: no funding for yr 1 either as it would be classed as a foundation year since i dont have chemistry a level. oh well.........dreams destroyed due to bad decisions made at the age of 17!! you live, you learn.
Original post by Opalfire
yes thats harsh and the whole point in my thread as i wanted 2 do pharm as my 2nd degree :frown: no funding for yr 1 either as it would be classed as a foundation year since i dont have chemistry a level. oh well.........dreams destroyed due to bad decisions made at the age of 17!! you live, you learn.

It's sickening isn't it. Just shows how rubbish teachers are in comprehensive schools. I think I've figured out a loophole in the system that would somewhat enable me to do Maths at Oxford ... except I'd still need to cough up a lot of money (which I don't have).

Indeed, futures destroyed over silly decisions at 17. Good system. :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending