The Student Room Group

BSMS Medical Applicants 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
slightly harsh if they tell you by call and not email :\
coz its more likely the message wont get through!!!!!

surely it would appear on track though?
:\
Reply 181
Original post by bindy

If it's just an interview then it won't appear on track :smile:
Oh and sorry I accedently neg repped your last post by the way, my fat fingers pressed it rather than quote, I'll +ve your next one..:smile:
Original post by 09MattH
Oh and sorry I accedently neg repped your last post by the way, my fat fingers pressed it rather than quote, I'll +ve your next one..:smile:

I balanced it out with some positive.
Reply 183
Original post by 09MattH

hahaaa no offence taken :biggrin:
and oh crap.... better go check my voicemails then :\
*crosses fingers*
Reply 186
Original post by WaterHorizon

I wouldn't follow it to closely (in fact at all), it's painfully slow at uploading :biggrin:
For example they must already be on 2/3/4 as people already have interviews (some are taking place today, and mine is on Weds :smile:)
Reply 187
Original post by bindy

I got a phonecall initially, they said I had an interview and wanted to know whether I was going on the campus tour. I got an e-mail with more details about an hour later.
How were your Interviews today guys?
Original post by suna_b28
Hii, could you tell me a little bit about the interview what type of questions do they base most of the interview on and how important can UKCAT scores be? thank you :smile: how is your first year like?

Cheeky asking about specific questions, there! Not exactly fair, and it wouldnt surprise me if the BSMS staff were looking here, they are aware that people do this, and between you and me, they wouldnt be too impressed. Just saying - careful!

UKCAT is used for "borderline" applicants who perform similarly at interview. But interview really matters. They are said to like good work experience and volunteering. (Y)
Original post by bindy
im applying here!!!!

8A* 2A at GCSE
5A at AS level
predicted 2A* 2A at A2
UKCAT of 680....

does anyone know if BSMS can offer you A*AB .... or if all their offers are just AAA...
i reaaaally dont want an A*AB offer....so much added pressure to get an A*!!!

They use a points system so eitherway it doesn't matter.
Original post by jam277
They use a points system so eitherway it doesn't matter.

Not always the case, I had a points offer but others in my year got grade offers, some with specified grades in subjects.

However, the grade offers were AAB, rather than A*BB, so presumably any grade offers this year will be AAA, as few med schools are asking for A*s yet.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Persephone9
Not always the case, I had a points offer but others in my year got grade offers, some with specified grades in subjects.

However, the grade offers were AAB, rather than A*BB, so presumably any grade offers this year will be AAA, as few med schools are asking for A*s yet.

Oh ok. That's horrible then, They could ask you to get A*AB and you end up with AAA and get rejected. On the website it says they'll accept someone with A*AB so they might give offers like that as well. If they said I should get a B in biology then I wouldn't mind because I could balance it out with maths but I have to get an A in that as well. Ouch.
sorry guys to burst your bubble on this one, but I feel obligated since this is a five to six year commitment, that you should know a few facts about BSMS. I am a student there and have been for over four years. This year only 83% of the final year graduated as doctors. So you maybe thinking they maybe the morons of the year who knows maybe they are.
In one third year finals 26 out of 120 had to resit the the OSCE finals....hmmm well maybe they were morons too....
In fourth year over 15 people failed the finals.... another group of moronic school leavers all with A stars... worrying trend I think.
Finally there are the many people who have been asked to leave at various points of the year mainly 4th and 5th. So just imagine going to medical school for four to five years and then you have to leave. I know of at least five people some were having a difficult time others just needs a bit of a push. These are the people I know of. There are many more. I count myself lucky for now but these have been some of the worst years if my life. So my advice go to a medical school where there is a more established program. cause paying £10,000 a year for five years only to possibly leave with nothing in the end is harsh... In ten years time BSMS would have worked it and become a better medical school but don't be fooled by all the new gadgets. Good Luck
Original post by jam277
Oh ok. That's horrible then, They could ask you to get A*AB and you end up with AAA and get rejected. On the website it says they'll accept someone with A*AB so they might give offers like that as well. If they said I should get a B in biology then I wouldn't mind because I could balance it out with maths but I have to get an A in that as well. Ouch.

Well in theory, yes, but as I said I doubt they'd ask for A*AB over AAA, and not everyone does get grade offers. You've applied now anyway, you'll really just have to wait and see :smile:

medicalsurge
This year only 83% of the final year graduated as doctors. So you maybe thinking they maybe the morons of the year who knows maybe they are.

medicalsurge
Finally there are the many people who have been asked to leave at various points of the year mainly 4th and 5th. So just imagine going to medical school for four to five years and then you have to leave. I know of at least five people some were having a difficult time others just needs a bit of a push.

I completely did not know this, tho I assumed that there would always be resitters. I guess I'll just be working very hard and running up to student support if I have a problem.
I just wanted to know with the interviews do they give us a score? and if so do they combine that with the preinterview score? or do they give offers based only on the interview score if they do give scores?

also when do they tell people about offers, rejections/ waiting list

or do they interview everyone first then give offers at the end of the process
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 196
Original post by medicalsurge
sorry guys to burst your bubble on this one, but I feel obligated since this is a five to six year commitment, that you should know a few facts about BSMS. I am a student there and have been for over four years. This year only 83% of the final year graduated as doctors. So you maybe thinking they maybe the morons of the year who knows maybe they are.
In one third year finals 26 out of 120 had to resit the the OSCE finals....hmmm well maybe they were morons too....
In fourth year over 15 people failed the finals.... another group of moronic school leavers all with A stars... worrying trend I think.
Finally there are the many people who have been asked to leave at various points of the year mainly 4th and 5th. So just imagine going to medical school for four to five years and then you have to leave. I know of at least five people some were having a difficult time others just needs a bit of a push. These are the people I know of. There are many more. I count myself lucky for now but these have been some of the worst years if my life. So my advice go to a medical school where there is a more established program. cause paying £10,000 a year for five years only to possibly leave with nothing in the end is harsh... In ten years time BSMS would have worked it and become a better medical school but don't be fooled by all the new gadgets. Good Luck

From what I've read BSMS has one of the highest student satisfaction rates in the country..and looks to me like a great place to study. The course is absolutely suited to my style of learning and, with enough commitment, I can't see why I wouldn't graduate as a doctor. To just kick people out without any warning in year 4/5 year seems incredibly harsh, and somewhat unbelievable..
The fact that it's newer, and 'less established' isn't going to put me off in the slightest, (it is my first choice over far more 'established' programmes)
..but I appreciate your concern :biggrin:
You say you've been there over four years, so are you 5th year or doing an intercalated BSc?
Yes its unbelievable that they would kick people out, but they have maybe by the time you graduated from BSMS things will be a bit better I would rather not say what stage I am at. I will just be grateful to leave that medical school and never look back. Good luck with your career. I hope it is a much better experience for you. My friends and I have been the guinea pigs of that medical school hopefully you will benefit from our complaints and improvements.:smile:
Reply 198
Yes its unbelievable that they would kick people out, but they have maybe by the time you graduated from BSMS things will be a bit better I would rather not say what stage I am at. I will just be grateful to leave that medical school and never look back. Good luck with your career. I hope it is a much better experience for you. My friends and I have been the guinea pigs of that medical school hopefully you will benefit from our complaints and improvements.:smile:

I appreciate that being one of the first cohorts in a new school is always going to be an issue and there will always be kinks that need ironing out. With regards to your stats on failures etc, i would rather have a potential doctor failed than be passed and screw up when it counts on a real patient. You will probably find that BSMS may have stricter marking schemes than a more established program for the sole reason of wanting to make sure they produce better than average doctors which in the long run will only benefit them. Having said that all schools will have standards that need to be met regarding marking laid out by the GMC i'm sure. I am just sorry that your experience there has not been that great but as you said by the time we graduate (heck if we get there that is) then most of these issues will have been sorted so thank you for all your complaints :colondollar:
Reply 199

Thanks for the luck :smile:
From talking to current students in years 1 and 2 I feel confident that thanks to people like yourself, any problems there perhaps were at one point have been ironed out...and it seems like a great place to study now :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending