The Student Room Group

Switchin degree subject

I've started an English course at university, and while I find it interesting, I'm taking more and more of an interest in studying Philosophy, to the point where I would really like to switch to Joint Honours with English.

The course is completely full, and that also means I probably won't be able to switch onto the second year of the Joint Honours course next year. I've been thinking through my options (apply to university again, just carry on with English etc) and I came up with an idea, but before I go and make a fool of myself by asking the Philosophy Department, I'd like opinions on whether it's actually a possibility, and whether anyone has done this. (I know no one can give me a straight yes or no answer because it depends on the uni/course, but any advice would be great.)

Could I start the Joint Honours course next year, but do the course in 2years instead of 3 because I will already have done all the first year English modules and 2 of the first year Philosophy modules? Wouldn't it be pointless for me to do all three years, when I will have already completed a few of the modules?
Reply 1
Oops, just realised I put "switchin" instead of "switching". :o:

Does anyone have any advice, please?
Reply 2
Haha, I have the opposite problem to you. I am about to study Philosophy but want to study English. I have asked everybody under the sun about what to do and I think my best option is to study my current subject and take as many elective modules in English, then try and switch to joint honours in second year. Whether they'll let me do this is another matter, but they've turned me down for everything else! Out of interest, which university are you at? I'm about to start at York.
Reply 3
harriepoppy
Haha, I have the opposite problem to you. I am about to study Philosophy but want to study English. I have asked everybody under the sun about what to do and I think my best option is to study my current subject and take as many elective modules in English, then try and switch to joint honours in second year. Whether they'll let me do this is another matter, but they've turned me down for everything else! Out of interest, which university are you at? I'm about to start at York.

I'm sorry you're having the same problem; it's sh*t, isn't it? :frown: I've also asked everyone I can, and have just been told that there's nothing anyone can do, and that I'm lucky to be on such a popular English course, which doesn't help.

I'm at Nottingham. I'm also doing some Philosophy subsidiaries, so I'm going to see what I think of the course for a week, and if I'm still desperate to study Philosophy, I'll go to the department and see what they say about this Joint Honours in 2 years thing. I can see why you'd want to study English, but at the same time I think your course involves exploring far more fascinating, wide-ranging, and meaningful concepts than you can look at in English. What is it that makes you want to study English?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 4
Well, I have started to change my mind about the whole English thing, for the same reasons as you it would appear. I originally applied for English because I did best in it at A-level (I already had my results) and really enjoyed it. Actually that's a bit of an understatement, I'm quite obsessive and bookish naturally, so English seemed to be the perfect fit. I have never studied Philosophy before but when I only received a single offer from my last choice university, I considered it and applied through ucas extra. After the initial elation at having an offer had worn off however, I began to regret my decision mostly out of fear of not knowing anything and being crap at a subject I was supposed to be best at. Now I'm starting to see what you're getting at! What I would say is if you still want to switch to Philosophy once you've started your course, go to the department with a sympathetic argument and speak to someone in person. I think it's probably easier to speak to an actual human being as it's so easy to brush people off via email, plus they'll know you've given it a chance and have thought things through properly. Also, people are bound to drop out during the first few weeks, so if it's a question of numbers, time could well be your friend. I think the best you can do is try to get excited about your course, I know it's natural to want to get the best possible outcome for yourself, in fact I think it's commendable, but if the worst comes to the worst you'll be studying English for this year at least. If it helps, I've heard from many English undergrads that philosophy forms quite a large part of an English degree and in terms of analysis, reading and thought processes, they're not too different. Plus, as you say you can always do elective modules and join the Philosophy society at Nottingham.

Although this may not be too cheery a thought (I didn't think so when my mum reminded me of it), unless you are planning on further study, the difference between a Philosophy and an English degree is negligable to most employers, especially if it's from an institution like Nottingham where the prestige of the place is most important. If the worst comes to the worst you can always apply for a transfer into second year doing joint honours, whether it be at Nottingham or elsewhere. My friend did this last year and applied for History and Politics when she was doing History and English. She got offers from Glasgow, Queen Mary, Edinburgh and Warwick, so it can be done. Good luck :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5
I am about to study Philosophy but want to study English. I have asked everybody under the sun about what to do and I think my best option is to study my current subject and take as many elective modules in English, then try and switch to joint honours in second year. Whether they'll let me do this is another matter, but they've turned me down for everything else! Out of interest, which university are you at? I'm about to start at York.

Hi I graduated from York last year (in neither English or philosophy!). From friends' experience, I would say that your chances of transferring into English at York are close to zero.

I suggest you ask before your start term. You might be better off withdrawing and re-applying if your heart is set on English. If you do a year then change course/uni, you could be liable for an additional year's fees and not be eligible for a student loan for what will effectively be your fourth year.

Sorry not to be more positive but the financial side is an important consideration.

Good luck
Reply 6
Thanks for the advise! I'm happy with Philosophy now though, I think it was probably fear of not knowing anything about Philosophy that put me off. Trying to sort that out before I go...
Reply 7
harriepoppy
Well, I have started to change my mind about the whole English thing, for the same reasons as you it would appear. I originally applied for English because I did best in it at A-level (I already had my results) and really enjoyed it. Actually that's a bit of an understatement, I'm quite obsessive and bookish naturally, so English seemed to be the perfect fit. I have never studied Philosophy before but when I only received a single offer from my last choice university, I considered it and applied through ucas extra. After the initial elation at having an offer had worn off however, I began to regret my decision mostly out of fear of not knowing anything and being crap at a subject I was supposed to be best at. Now I'm starting to see what you're getting at! What I would say is if you still want to switch to Philosophy once you've started your course, go to the department with a sympathetic argument and speak to someone in person. I think it's probably easier to speak to an actual human being as it's so easy to brush people off via email, plus they'll know you've given it a chance and have thought things through properly. Also, people are bound to drop out during the first few weeks, so if it's a question of numbers, time could well be your friend. I think the best you can do is try to get excited about your course, I know it's natural to want to get the best possible outcome for yourself, in fact I think it's commendable, but if the worst comes to the worst you'll be studying English for this year at least. If it helps, I've heard from many English undergrads that philosophy forms quite a large part of an English degree and in terms of analysis, reading and thought processes, they're not too different. Plus, as you say you can always do elective modules and join the Philosophy society at Nottingham.

Although this may not be too cheery a thought (I didn't think so when my mum reminded me of it), unless you are planning on further study, the difference between a Philosophy and an English degree is negligable to most employers, especially if it's from an institution like Nottingham where the prestige of the place is most important. If the worst comes to the worst you can always apply for a transfer into second year doing joint honours, whether it be at Nottingham or elsewhere. My friend did this last year and applied for History and Politics when she was doing History and English. She got offers from Glasgow, Queen Mary, Edinburgh and Warwick, so it can be done. Good luck :smile:

Thanks for your post; it was helpful. I went to the department and spoke to the person in charge of admissions to all the Philosophy courses, and she said it's completely full and there is very little chance of enough people dropping out within the first few weeks (the course is over-subscribed by more than 30 people :frown: ) for me to be allowed in. I am going to give English a good chance, and it may turn out that I love it. I'm also doing two subsiduaries in Philosophy, so I'll be able to get a good idea of what it's like and whether I really would like to study it. I liked what you said about transferring for joint honours in the second year- that will be my plan of action if after the first week of lectures I decide I really do want to switch. Thanks! :smile:

Latest