The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Mr M
I wouldn't predict him lower than an A. However, I don't think the way to resolve this matter is to try to threaten and bully the Headteacher. My reply would be that it might be best if the OP leaves at the earliest opportunity so that he can attend a school or college that more closely meets his requirements.

If the OP is as good as he says, he will impress at interview and Cambridge will make him an offer. Predicted grades are pretty unimportant. TSR has a distorted idea of their value. This issue will certainly not affect his Warwick application as they have a standard offer and do not pay any attention to predicted grades.

Any evidence for that assertion? Cambridge state the complete opposite on their website.
First, email Cambridge/Warwick and ask them how important it is. Save their reply. If they say that you'll need As, forward their reply to your school. Get your parents to write an angry letter, get your parents to talk to the headmaster, kick up a fuss with the press/local MP if necessary. If you got 5 Band 1s for Higher in a state school then you deserve to be predicted As and it sounds like your school is being pig-headed for little reason.
get rents to ring up, go to person who enters then and beg; basically create as much commotion as you can :smile:
Reply 63
Forgive me if this is stupid but could you contact Cambridge, explain your situation and your grades and say that your school is refusing to predict anybody As?

Otherwise yeah, get your parents in :smile:
davidmarsh01
No, I do not want to take a gap year, and in any case I don't see why I should be forced to take a year out of my life just because of the schools fallibility regarding this :/

You could look on an enforced gap year as an opporunity to gain some valuable work experience in the field you want to enter, thereby making your application even stronger.
innerhollow
Any evidence for that assertion?

Yes but it is mostly anecdotal. Do I feel inclined to share it? Not really.
Mr M
Yes but it is mostly anecdotal. Do I feel inclined to share it? Not really.

Glad that you're not inclined, I wouldn't want your anecdotal evidence anyway. We hear all these "My friend got into Cambridge with bad A-level grades" stories all the time and they prove nothing. Cambridge have no reason to lie about it- when they themselves state the importance of predicted grades on their website, I'm going to believe that over some internet anecdotes.
innerhollow
Glad that you're not inclined, I wouldn't want your anecdotal evidence anyway. We hear all these "My friend got into Cambridge with bad A-level grades" stories all the time and they prove nothing. Cambridge have no reason to lie about it- when they themselves state the importance of predicted grades on their website, I'm going to believe that over some internet anecdotes.

You might like to check out my background before making yourself look foolish. I will pm you.
(edited 13 years ago)
davidmarsh01
Ok, so I've been made dux of the school, and I got AAAAA in my Scottish Highers last year, all band ones(typically above 85%).

I want to apply to Cambridge to do Maths, so yeah I kinda need top predictions to begin to compete.

But the school are saying they are only going to predict some of my Advanced Highers at Bs!!! I'm so angry, it's like an English student being predicted Bs for their A levels! How am I even supposed to get an interview with only Bs predicted? My application will just be laughed out of town :mad:

And this gets worse - one of the assistant heads said that the predictions are solely a one way thing and I have no input. I'm working my ass off already, and I think this is a complete insult. It will ruin my future, these people at the school are going to ruin my chances of a sniff at Cambridge and severely hinder my Warwick application. I'm so angry right now, what can I do to get this changed?

I know a lot of you will just say it's tough if they won't change their mind but I need better than this, is there anything I can do to help make them change their ways? I'm so worried about this, I don't want my life to be ruined, please help :mad:

If you're a troll...die.

If you're not - here's what to do. Contact the universities you wish to go to, see what they can do. I'm sure they've had cases before where they can see an applicant is talented enough but they, for some reason, haven't been predicted the grades they should have been.

Speak to your subject teachers about it. From AS to A2, a lot the time they compensate for the increased difficulty by predicting you one grade lower than you got last year. This is (in some institutions) a standard thing, and may be the same for Scotland.

Predictions are not a one-way thing. I've already spoken to two teachers and had predictions moved up from A/B to A and from A to A*, purely by speaking to them about it.
davidmarsh01
I go to a normal, crappy state school, and their reasoning is that because Advanced Highers are only over one year is that they do not have enough evidence to go on. I see their side, but I don't think they really understand the importance of these predicted grades to me, and if they're not going to predict someone who got all As last year As this year then it's frankly ridiculous.

And their immovable stance on these grades piss me off even more. Basically they're saying "you will be predicted this" and not giving me a say. I find this really, really unfair.

hmm let's see

who has the better evidence base

a Qualified teacher with X numbers of experience and a graduate or postgraduate qualification or some snotty zitty kid who believes the utter tripe talked about university league tables ...

if you are so dead set against applying in line with your predicted grades, the obvious answer , as others have suggested is take a gap yah! and apply in the next cycle with your final grades
Mr M
You might like to check out my background before making yourself look foolish. I will pm you.

Even if you told me you worked in the admissions department in Cambridge I probably wouldn't listen to you. People lie all the time. When it is in Cambridge's best interest to tell the truth about their admissions process, why would I believe an anonymous wall of text on the internet?
zippyRN
hmm let's see

who has the better evidence base

a Qualified teacher with X numbers of experience and a graduate or postgraduate qualification or some snotty zitty kid who believes the utter tripe talked about university league tables ...

if you are so dead set against applying in line with your predicted grades, the obvious answer , as others have suggested is take a gap yah! and apply in the next cycle with your final grades

But it's so stupid.

What school predicts a grade LOWER than the one previously achieved?!

The school is hardly infallible; let's be serious here, if the OP had the got those grades in most other schools, he would have got the predictions he required.
Reply 72
is the person who is writing you reference friendly with you , if so just tell them to put that nobody was predicted straight A's as it was not school policy
Cambridge will also ask you to fill a form with all your module marks, if they see you have done well as you obviously have then they should no really discriminate against you ...they will take this into accoutn as many schools for A-Levels are not predicting A* despite the fact that there is an A*AA requirement, therefore, they will be many people in your situation.

Or phone the college you are applying to explain your situation, if you are a serious candidate they will take you into consideration

Hope this helps a little
Jonty99
But it's so stupid.

What school predicts a grade LOWER than the one previously achieved?!

It's quite common in Scotland to predict a grade one below what you achieved before, at least in my school.
Probablt because the majority of Scottish applicants apply within Scotland with Highers, so predicted have a lot less value, as many offers are unconditional.
Also because us Scots are dour and pessimistic :P:
anoushka1
is the person who is writing you reference friendly with you , if so just tell them to put that nobody was predicted straight A's as it was not school policy
Cambridge will also ask you to fill a form with all your module marks, if they see you have done well as you obviously have then they should no really discriminate against you ...they will take this into accoutn as many schools for A-Levels are not predicting A* despite the fact that there is an A*AA requirement, therefore, they will be many people in your situation.

Or phone the college you are applying to explain your situation, if you are a serious candidate they will take you into consideration

Hope this helps a little

We don't have modules in Scotland, so it's harder to prove what you precisely achieved.
davidmarsh01
No, I do not want to take a gap year, and in any case I don't see why I should be forced to take a year out of my life just because of the schools fallibility regarding this :/

if i was you, i'd accept fate and take a year out.
1. a year is not long.
2. it won't be a year out of your life. you will still be a breathing, living entity: you might even learn something interesting in a gap year.
Reply 76
Maybe get your parents involved or something? What have they said about it?
innerhollow
Even if you told me you worked in the admissions department in Cambridge I probably wouldn't listen to you. People lie all the time. Without disclosing private info, I will say that I think it's very unlikely Mr M is lying here (and although he could be mistaken, I think that is also unlikely. He has good reasons for saying what he does).
GingerGoat
We don't have modules in Scotland, so it's harder to prove what you precisely achieved.

Well, he knows he got all A1s at Higher, which is a great achievement, and you can always find out your actual mark from the school or from the SQA. But, yeah, the SQA doesn't tell you your marks (or even your bands) on the certificate, so this point is true.
GingerGoat
Get your parents to complain.
Schools don't like parents complaining, they will do almost anything to avoid it, but people are usually too cba to actually to go get their parents to go in.

Failing that, contact the unis you're applying and explain to them that you think their predictions are off, and supply them with the evidence to back that up.
Good luck :smile:

Yeah.
And failing all that, like someone earlier said, you could also defer your place untill next year and have a gap year- then you will already have your grades and they will look at them, not some predicted grades that your school made up.

Latest

Trending

Trending