The Student Room Group

Failed driving test several times and unsure now of what to do.

Scroll to see replies

I think posters should receive a ban if they resurrect old threads for no reason.
Reply 81
Original post by accountant-future
I think posters should receive a ban if they resurrect old threads for no reason.

Made me reply to a comment from 2010 >:
Reply 82
This person might not be a bad driver it might be one stupid thing every time they don't let you do your test if they don't feel like your safe on the roads!
All those who said you are unsafe to drive on road should shut up, keep your confidence, and try more, but don't be bothered if you fail more in future.
Let me tell you my story
I got my first driving license in China when I was 18, then my second driving license in Canada when I was 23, then my US license when 28
I have been a commuting driver since uni days in Canada, never involved in speeding, dangerous driving, road rage or any any accidents, and got 15 years of driving experience with a perfect clean history when I first came to UK.

Then I failed my first driving test in UK, due to slipping into the wrong lane in a very confusing and busy roundabout.
Within 4 months, I failed my second driving test, for too many small minor faults.
I passed in the third time, in a quiet small town far from city, as I figured out the complication of traffic in the city made clean driving nearly impossible.

I must driving test in UK is extremely hard towards new drivers, the examiners demands way way much more compared their colleagues in Canada and US. Where I got my other three pieces of driving license, you are guaranteed to pass as long as you drive cautiously, even at a turtle speed, or a hesitation more than a full minute at a junction. Awkward driving in the test was not a matter, as long as you are safe on road and hit nothing, you get your license. I repeated more than 5 times in doing parallel parking when I took my first test in Canada, even the examiner sighed and advised me to give up, but in the end I passed!

So far I have driving experience in all continents in the world, climbed up the Alps and Tibet, crossed the sand dune in Middle East, attempted the icy highway in Alaska, never run into any accidents, never hit no-one. BUT I can't drive in UK, BECAUSE I GOT complained and tried for "Dangerous driving" and my license has been SUSPENDED, for speeding up and passing a slow **** head on fast lane who did not have time on throttle (45 on motorway!) but got time to ask his boy in passenger seat to pull out smartphone and video tape me passing on inner lane! I was stupid on not hiring a solicitor and lost the case.

Since then I took 3 more extended driving test to reclaim my license, all failed!
my 4th test failure: not breaking hard enough when asked to do emergency stop, and not giving away at roundabout to a car coming on right who did not use his signal I though the man was going straight but he kept in roundabout and ran head-on into me!

my 5th test failure: insufficient observation, no idea how

6th: did it in Manchester city center on a Friday afternoon, I have been driving in very cautious and confident way,then failed, for too many minor faults.

7th: all clean, no fault at all, until in the very last moment when required to merge onto motorway, short ramp and someone on the right refused to give me the space to merge in and instead he picked up speed! (when he was the only traffic at the time! empty fast lane on his right)forced me to slow down abruptly on ramp!

I kind of give up, seems like UK is the only country I can not drive.
Think about it, Dutch are banning the sell of patrol cars in years, Paris are preparing to ban all traffic in city, smart cars are coming, I am guessing that by the time I passed the test, self-driving may not be compulsory when riding a car!
Now I am driving on provincial license within UK, and my other three license in the rest of the world.
Reply 84
I would say if you want to drive then don't give up, and keep trying. It's completely up to you whether you want to drive or not, if you don't feel like you're cut out for it or you don't want to do it then don't. I know someone who passed on her ninth time, so you'll get there. Just figure out what went wrong the other times, and try and overcome those problems, maybe it was you got nervous or something.
@orogenus

Road fatalities per 100,000 inhabitants:

China - 18.8
USA - 10.6
Canada - 6
UK - 2.9

Our standards are higher for a reason!

You would not have been taken on the motorway during your driving test in England, and there is no ‘fast lane’ on the motorway - all have the same speed limit unless otherwise signed.

You have lost your licence for good reason, and regardless of your other feats, they do not make you a better driver. Reach the standard required and you will pass.
Definitely carry on do not give up, you will eventually get there so good luck
That’s so rude maybe he’s a good driver and get test anxiety you don’t know so keep your rude comments to yourself.
Original post by hothedgehog
Frankly if you can't pass after 7 attempts I don't want you on a road anywhere near me, my passengers or my car. Please stop trying and use public transport instead.

Your rud
Reply 89
Don’t worry I failed my 4th test today always for silly things and do you know what I ain’t going to give up till I pass so never give up too. I think you should take lessons with a instructor trust me it is best . Go book your test again you can do it !
Reply 90
You are such a rude person I wonder how many times you failed to be here ... I failed 4th time and so what this doesn’t mean I am a bad driver ... and guess what I just book another test and I will never give up ...: go Have some manners mate people like you reuin the planet that we are in
Reply 91
You sound like a really bad friend to be honest. You're being very negative and not supportive at all. Did you know that the pass rate is less than 25% Drivers make mistakes and behave dangerously everyday but this would be normal for an experienced driver. But on the test, they want you to drive like a grandma and they want you not to obstruct anybody else because they're afraid to bother other people, classic britishness at its finest.
Original post by L_San98
You sound like a really bad friend to be honest. You're being very negative and not supportive at all. Did you know that the pass rate is less than 25% Drivers make mistakes and behave dangerously everyday but this would be normal for an experienced driver. But on the test, they want you to drive like a grandma and they want you not to obstruct anybody else because they're afraid to bother other people, classic britishness at its finest.

And, classic of TSR - members responding to an old thread.
Don't give up, you have come to far, is it poss to save a little and have instructor lessons , do some mock tests

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending