The Student Room Group

Give them vouchers instead of benefit money?

Lets assume 100 billion is given away in benefit money (not including housing costs)

Why can't the Government negotiate with Tesco to purchase 100 billion in vouchers for say, 85 billion pounds? (The figures arent equal because the Government could argue tesco is guaranteed extra business when some benefit receivers could have shopped at ALDI)

This would prevent abuse of benefit money as the essential spends are food. Energy costs could be treated with housing.

There could be problems, things like buying 'the kids' their school uniform, but perhaps if 'food benefits' could be separated from 'utilities benefits' then we could perhaps reduce the amount we spend on social and also prevent people not using the money accordingly. If they manage to get by on 50 pounds a week whilst still buying fags, there's obviously still more that could be taken away.

What does everyone else think?

Scroll to see replies

I think you're retarded

/thread.
future_hopeful_uk
Lets assume 100 billion is given away in benefit money (not including housing costs)

Why can't the Government negotiate with Tesco to purchase 100 billion in vouchers for say, 85 billion pounds? (The figures arent equal because the Government could argue tesco is guaranteed extra business when some benefit receivers could have shopped at ALDI)

This would prevent abuse of benefit money as the essential spends are food. Energy costs could be treated with housing.

There could be problems, things like buying 'the kids' their school uniform, but perhaps if 'food benefits' could be separated from 'utilities benefits' then we could perhaps reduce the amount we spend on social and also prevent people not using the money accordingly. If they manage to get by on 50 pounds a week whilst still buying fags, there's obviously still more that could be taken away.

Bad, Bad, Bad idea.
Reply 3
Tesco sell everything: alcohol, tv's, music, games, lottery tickets etc.
CJN
Tesco sell everything: alcohol, tv's, music, games, lottery tickets etc.

Vouchers can easily be limited to food only like the milk vouchers new mums get

The_Male_Melons
Bad, Bad, Bad idea.

why is it a bad idea to save the country money in the time of a recession

future_hopeful_uk

I actually agree with you and the kids could be given voucher (for uniform) if they recieve free school meals

The social stigma of shopping with the vouchers could also help get alot of people off benefits
(edited 13 years ago)
The Next Left
I think you're retarded

/thread.

With the image in your signature, clearly not as retarded as you are...

At least i dont support a political party who has bankrupted the UK every time they left power since the 70s..... IMF anyone?

If you're going to critcise, atleast do the non-Labour thing and propose a better idea (as we are sorting out Labour's mess).
(edited 13 years ago)
brokenangel
why is it a bad idea to save the country money in the time of a recession

several reasons why:

1. If you a person starts showing a voucher, people will assume that they are on state handouts. This could be discourage people from claiming (when they really need to due to circumstances) due to the stigma attached.

2. It might costs us more as a result. It would cost companies to print out vouchers. Those vouchers will need to be accepted. Then the government would cough up money to supermarkets. It would be costly and beaucratic as well.

3. Why should a private company like supermaket, local newsagents, independant shops (bakers, fruit and veg stalls etc...) help?

I agree something needs to be done to scrounging cheats who treat the benefit system as a lifestyle choice. Vouchers are not the answer.
Reply 7
Do you really think benefit money only needs to go on food? :rolleyes:
A government funded monopoly is exactly what the supermarket market needs.
The_Male_Melons
several reasons why:

1. If you a person starts showing a voucher, people will assume that they are on state handouts. This could be discourage people from claiming (when they really need to due to circumstances) due to the stigma attached.

2. It might costs us more as a result. It would cost companies to print out vouchers. Those vouchers will need to be accepted. Then the government would cough up money to supermarkets. It would be costly and beaucratic as well.

3. Why should a private company like supermaket, local newsagents, independant shops (bakers, fruit and veg stalls etc...) help?

I agree something needs to be done to scrounging cheats who treat the benefit system as a lifestyle choice. Vouchers are not the answer.

In that case let's say it was worked out to make sure unemployed person A was to get their necessities each week it would cost £X. Instead of giving vouchers worth £X; give them the equivalent sum of money; HOWEVER:

*If they waste it on cigarettes, drugs and condoms - sorry, they should not get any more money. It's their responsibility to make sure they can handle money in a mature manner.

Anyways, in response to your answers:

1. So? How is a "social stigma" going to do anything? There are social stigmas around taking drugs, being drunk and acting like a chav - people still do it. And LOL "discourage people from claiming" - their fault tbh. Their loss.

It worked in World War 2, why wouldn't it work now?

3. I'd argue the EXACT same thing except - why should hard working taxpayers help? :dontknow: What's the difference between Tesco helping an unemployed person and a person making ends meet on their salary doing the exact same thing?
The_Male_Melons
1. If you a person starts showing a voucher, people will assume that they are on state handouts. This could be discourage people from claiming (when they really need to due to circumstances) due to the stigma attached..

'Tesco clubcard' with photograph on it for proof

The_Male_Melons

'vouchers' wasnt literally an idea involving pieces of paper. I meant the term as a concept, a clubcard could be used, as above.

The_Male_Melons

I've already answered this. Assume from the 100bn in welfare handouts, only 60bn is spent in tesco, well by forcing benefit receivers to shop at tesco, tesco are now getting an extra (bid_price)-60 billion in revenue.

Also, you do realise tesco are the only other place where you can buy (i think its national savings ?) other than the normal official 'outlet'. Atleast this was the case about a year ago. So the Government have given tesco services which other outlets do not have.
(edited 13 years ago)
im so academic
In that case let's say it was worked out to make sure unemployed person A was to get their necessities each week it would cost £X. Instead of giving vouchers worth £X; give them the equivalent sum of money; HOWEVER:

*If they waste it on cigarettes, drugs and condoms - sorry, they should not get any more money. It's their responsibility to make sure they can handle money in a mature manner.

Anyways, in response to your answers:

1. So? How is a "social stigma" going to do anything? There are social stigmas around taking drugs, being drunk and acting like a chav - people still do it. And LOL "discourage people from claiming" - their fault tbh. Their loss.

It worked in World War 2, why wouldn't it work now?

3. I'd argue the EXACT same thing except - why should hard working taxpayers help? :dontknow: What's the difference between Tesco helping an unemployed person and a person making ends meet on their salary doing the exact same thing?

I agree with you to an extent.

I just feel we will be targetting the wrong people and wrong people would be punished because of a minority. That minority aren't going to be affected, they don't care if they get vouchers etc...It is sad people abuse the system. They won't care about the stigma. There are people who due to circumstances need benefits would be discouraged because they would stigmatised.
Vouchers aren't the way forward. There are people who genuinely need benefit and are being punished due to the minority. Vouchers will discourage them from claiming due to the stigma. It will the country more to sort out the effects. It would cost us more.

I think the coalition government got it right. I remember watching ITN news in the afternoon- what they proposed was that those on jobseekers have to apply for jobs and this will be checked. I don't about other benefits.

I agree that those on benefits should not be spending on alcohol, ciggarettes, drugs etc... Chavs will always be chavs. Condoms? We need to encourage condoms, otherwise we will get more chavs- they will claim more. Sad fact. I agree, it angers me. I commented on another thread about 2 adult chavs with stella cans. They should be working. It makes me angry. I understand your sentiments, exactly.

Why should a private business like Tesco pay? Taxpayers pay for public jobs (NHS, Museums, Arts, Police, Firefighters, Libraries, lollipop persons, etc...) and those who need help in a our society as well.
future_hopeful_uk
'Tesco clubcard' with photograph on it for proof

'vouchers' wasnt literally an idea involving pieces of paper. I meant the term as a concept, a clubcard could be used, as above.

I've already answered this. Assume from the 100bn in welfare handouts, only 60bn is spent in tesco, well by forcing benefit receivers to shop at tesco, tesco are now getting an extra (bid_price)-60 billion in revenue.

Also, you do realise tesco are the only other place where you can buy (i think its national savings ?) other than the normal official 'outlet'. Atleast this was the case about a year ago. So the Government have given tesco services which other outlets do not have.

Not everyone will go Tesco. There are other supermarkets. Also, what about independant stores- bakers, book sellers, fruit and veg stall etc...

Not sure about the bit in bold.

I have a clubcard with Tesco. (Tesco man, myself) I am not sure how it would work out. Would the person working in the counter find out? Would that be an invasion of privacy. Not sure. More information. A lot of issues need to be taken into consideration.
(edited 13 years ago)
V. good idea, but would take some working out and the idiots would be up in arms at it...

(roll on neg rep)
The_Male_Melons
I agree with you to an extent.

I just feel we will be targetting the wrong people and wrong people would be punished because of a minority. That minority aren't going to be affected, they don't care if they get vouchers etc...It is sad people abuse the system. They won't care about the stigma. There are people who due to circumstances need benefits would be discouraged because they would stigmatised.

We need to get tough on those who abuse the system.

Vouchers aren't the way forward. There are people who genuinely need benefit and are being punished due to the minority. Vouchers will discourage them from claiming due to the stigma. It will the country more to sort out the effects. It would cost us more.

Half agree, half disagree...

But we cannot tolerate benefit cheating scum.

I think the coalition government got it right. I remember watching ITN news in the afternoon- what they proposed was that those on jobseekers have to apply for jobs and this will be checked. I don't about other benefits.

Still not tough enough, e.g. people DELIBERATELY failing interviews just to be on benefits.

Imo, there are X people on benefits. Suddenly you receive a job offer - refuse, then your benefits are cut off; accept - congrats, you have a job.

I agree that those on benefits should not be spending on alcohol, ciggarettes, drugs etc... Chavs will always be chavs. Condoms? We need to encourage condoms, otherwise we will get more chavs- they will claim more. Sad fact. I agree, it angers me. I commented on another thread about 2 adult chavs with stella cans. They should be working. It makes me angry. I understand your sentiments, exactly.

No, don't encourage teenage sex ANY MORE - encourage people to stop shagging through:

*No benefits to any teenager who has had a child
*No council house to any teenager who gets pregnant
*Lifetime ban on benefits if a teenager has a child
etc

Why should a private business like Tesco pay? Taxpayers pay for public jobs (NHS, Museums, Arts, Police, Firefighters, Libraries, lollipop persons, etc...) and those who need help in a our society as well.

Again, why should taxpayers pay for people who don't want to work, have no intention of working; but they still can?
The_Male_Melons
Not everyone will go Tesco. There are other supermarkets. Also, what about independant stores- bakers, book sellers, fruit and veg stall etc...

Generalising, but most benefit claimants are inner-city people and inner cities tend to have less of the independent stores and more tesco etc.

The_Male_Melons
Would the person working in the counter find out? Would that be an invasion of privacy.

People used to collect their giro in the post office, so as much as the post office worker would have known.

It perhaps wouldnt have to be limited to tesco, i just proposed that as it would make administration easier. The point is to pay the shop(s ) less money for vouchers than the Government spends and also to ensure only important stuff is bought.
This is a terrible idea for the simple fact that people spend their money on what benefits them the most, they will be best off when they can spend it on anything. If you want people to be better off raise benefits and if you want them to be worse off cut benefits. There is no point in making them worse off whilst costing the government the same.

One arguement is thinking the government is in a better postion to choose what is best for the person than the person themselves, which I don't think is true. Or that the happiness gained from tax payers thinking the money is being spent better outweighs the loss of welfare to the benefit reciever. This isn't true either because most people only care about how much is taken out of their pay packet each month rather than what people choose to spend their benefits on.
I think some sort of card with a balance on it would be a good idea, but a card that looks like a debit card or whatever so there isn't a stigma.

It could also be spent in any shop, I suppose just like a pre-paid visa card.
Reply 18
If this were to be implimented straight away, I would not worry so much about it. Afterall, most of my JSA goes on food, and electricity/gas. But I would still need some money for bus fares for example, and even though I'm unemployed, I would still need money for things like gym (unless legislation is brought in to offer free gym memberships), because without that I would probably fall apart and would need counselling (working out seems to keep me a little bit sane and gives me something to work for).

I understand that there may be a stigma attached in going to the supermarket with these vouchers, but I reckon that people should not feel stigmatised just because they are not working. There are all kinds of reasons why people are not working, and for anyone to assume that someone who comes in with food vouchers must be an idle lay-about says more about them, their ignorance and their snobbishness than the person who has to use those vouchers. If there is one thing I cannot stand, it is snobbery, that hauty holier-than-thou attitude that many people seem to have in this country.
Sternumator
There is no point in making them worse off whilst costing the government the same.

Have you read any of this thread??

Sternumator
One arguement is thinking the government is in a better postion to choose what is best for the person than the person themselves, which I don't think is true.

Eh??? They dont have a right to chose when the money they are spending isnt even their money. They need food, clothing etc- if we can provide it cheaper and its adequate then thats what they should get.

If they dont like it, they could always......... get off benefits?

Latest

Trending

Trending