The Student Room Group

Should I drop out?

I've been at university for a month now and I'm seriously considering going home. I'm struggling to make friends (I've made friends with a couple of people enough to go out for a night out with but not to talk about stuff going out), but most seriously is the fact that I'm not enjoying my course at all, it's not what I was quite expecting and because it's not interesting to me I'm struggling to motivate myself to do the work.
Although I love living in Cardiff and have family nearby, because of the dissapointment with my course and the realisation that the career I thought I wanted I'm no longer interested in I'm worried that I'm not motivated enough to do the work, so will most likely fail anyway, but even if I did continue to the end of the degree it will be meaningless to me.
Should I try and stick it out a bit longer or cut my loses and reduce the cost of this life experience by going home and working out what I really want? Another thing I am considering would be to go stay with my family nearby in Cardiff and work out what I want to do there (possibly apply to become a teacher for next september) or go home to Cornwall. But I've always wanted to live in Cardiff and love the city but I feel like I shouldn't stay with my family in Cardiff until I've decided what I'm going to do. :confused:
gingey12
I've been at university for a month now and I'm seriously considering going home. I'm struggling to make friends (I've made friends with a couple of people enough to go out for a night out with but not to talk about stuff going out), but most seriously is the fact that I'm not enjoying my course at all, it's not what I was quite expecting and because it's not interesting to me I'm struggling to motivate myself to do the work.
Although I love living in Cardiff and have family nearby, because of the dissapointment with my course and the realisation that the career I thought I wanted I'm no longer interested in I'm worried that I'm not motivated enough to do the work, so will most likely fail anyway, but even if I did continue to the end of the degree it will be meaningless to me.
Should I try and stick it out a bit longer or cut my loses and reduce the cost of this life experience by going home and working out what I really want? Another thing I am considering would be to go stay with my family nearby in Cardiff and work out what I want to do there (possibly apply to become a teacher for next september) or go home to Cornwall. But I've always wanted to live in Cardiff and love the city but I feel like I shouldn't stay with my family in Cardiff until I've decided what I'm going to do. :confused:

You don't sound happy about your course and, if you know now that you're uninterested in the course and don't want the future it would provide, it seems sensible to leave earlier. Tuition fees don't get charged until a bit later, and the earlier you leave, the higher the chance a replacement for you in accommodation can be found, thereby minimising the rent you continue to pay.

As for where to go next, you should go to the best place for you to figure out what you want; personally, I like to hide away in the countryside somewhere and isolate myself whilst having a good think ... but won't work for everyone.

Latest

Trending

Trending