The Student Room Group

University study :'(

Ok my problem is that I'm used to being able to know all the facts and content of a subject from a textbook. From a lecture you get the bare minimum of information. You are given a reading list of dense irrelevant tosh and then expected to have an understanding of something as complex as the Reformation. Mediaeval history is even worse :mad: as things are less distinct and Historians of this period have an obsession with banging on about the latin and greek language.

I have two essays to write but I don't even know
where to start :confused:
Go to the library, research from books, a part of Uni is about being able to research on your own and not just be force-fed answers by a teacher.

Can take some getting used to, but you will learn to write really good Uni essays. You just need to do plenty of research on your subject.
Reply 2
Mittalmar
Ok my problem is that I'm used to being able to know all the facts and content of a subject from a textbook. From a lecture you get the bare minimum of information. You are given a reading list of dense irrelevant tosh and then expected to have an understanding of something as complex as the Reformation. Mediaeval history is even worse :mad: as things are less distinct and Historians of this period have an obsession with banging on about the latin and greek language.

I have two essays to write but I don't even know
where to start :confused:

Hey, I know what you mean! I'm doing English lit at uni and found the stylistics seminars really hard to grasp (mainly because I didn't do English Language at a-level)
I'd suggest looking at alevel text books to give yourself some background knowledge and then go on to the books they suggested.
When I did the reformation as a module in AS my teacher suggested Keith Randell books. I found them prety straight forward to read :smile:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Henry-Reformation-England-Access-History/dp/0340782153
This is a link to an access to history book.
I haven't looked at this particular book but from past experience "access to history" have been really useful for me because of the layout, knwledge and questions included.

Hope this helps :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending