The Student Room Group

Transitioning from Science to Law

Guys i study BTEC Applied Science and i just recently found out i dont want to pursue a job in healthcare. Instead, i want to do law. Will the jump between science to law be more difficult for me since i did not take any humanities related subjects in college?
Hi there,

I am a law student in my third year at Coventry University.

I chose to study law in university despite having no prior knowledge of law nor did I select any subjects related to law, to study during my a-levels. I studied English Literature, Physics and Psychology. The concept of law was alien to me until I started university. The first few weeks were quite daunting, as I struggled to grasp the principle of the law and understand how to read and analyse cases and statutes etc. However, I made sure I keep on top of things, by doing a lot of reading and referring back to the lectures and recorded lectures, which our lecturers would upload.

Overall, I believe you don't need to study any subjects related to law. I know peers on my course who selected Law as an a-level and came to university knowing the basics, but at university the lecturers teach you the doctrine of law by referring to the basics too. I would also recommend having 1 to 1 sessions with the lecturers too.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Narusha
Coventry University Student Ambassador
Reply 2
Original post by Coventry University Student Ambassadors
Hi there,

I am a law student in my third year at Coventry University.

I chose to study law in university despite having no prior knowledge of law nor did I select any subjects related to law, to study during my a-levels. I studied English Literature, Physics and Psychology. The concept of law was alien to me until I started university. The first few weeks were quite daunting, as I struggled to grasp the principle of the law and understand how to read and analyse cases and statutes etc. However, I made sure I keep on top of things, by doing a lot of reading and referring back to the lectures and recorded lectures, which our lecturers would upload.

Overall, I believe you don't need to study any subjects related to law. I know peers on my course who selected Law as an a-level and came to university knowing the basics, but at university the lecturers teach you the doctrine of law by referring to the basics too. I would also recommend having 1 to 1 sessions with the lecturers too.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Narusha
Coventry University Student Ambassador

Thank you so much :smile:
Original post by rida886
Guys i study BTEC Applied Science and i just recently found out i dont want to pursue a job in healthcare. Instead, i want to do law. Will the jump between science to law be more difficult for me since i did not take any humanities related subjects in college?

Hi there

I am a current third year law student that was also in the same situation few years back. I studied A levels biology, chemistry and maths, then decided that I wanted to pursue a career in law.

Prior to University, I never touched on the topic of law, and have not engaged in many coursework/ essay writing subjects either. However, I found the jump between science and humanities manageable.

You do not need any prior knowledge of law to study it at University. The modules we study at the start of term gradually build up our knowledge. Whilst the change between A levels and University is quite large, I found that keeping on top of the workload and organising my time effectively can help overcome this change.

I hope this helps. :smile:
Chloe
-University of Kent Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending