The Student Room Group
It's supposed to be fairly easy to learn for a non-IE language, and you can't deny it'll be useful. Other than that, it's up to you.
Reply 2
Hi, I've just started learning at QUB as a voluntary, once-a-week night class. I figure it'll be very useful (for something!). Obviously, its a completely different alpahbet/pronounciation etc, but I'm fairly hopeful of learning it to some sort of basic level. As I said, I've only started, I'll be able to tell you more in the future
I'm fluent in Arabic...
But I'm not/or planning to study at university level.
Reply 4
I believe it is very useful! Sounds like a good choice to me.
Reply 5
hey i speak and write arabic.. and it is really useful to study at uni , just think of all the jobs that require knowledge of arabic, especialy in goverment, civil service, media.. etc
I havnt applied for it (applied for politics) , but when i go to uni i plan to start learning another language.. dont know which one yet. :smile:
Reply 6
I'm applying for Modern Languages at Durham, and will ask Oxford to consider me for Modern Languages if I don't get into my preferred course. Seems so difficult though... I am willing to make an effort, it seems like such a beautiful language!
Reply 7
midnight_tiptoe
I'm applying for Modern Languages at Durham, and will ask Oxford to consider me for Modern Languages if I don't get into my preferred course. Seems so difficult though... I am willing to make an effort, it seems like such a beautiful language!

What's your preferred course? Unless it's one of the Modern Language joint schools (lang + history, lang + philosophy etc.) then, as far as I'm aware, they won't consider you for straight modern languages; or for EMEL (European and Middle Eastern Languages), which French (or whatever else) and Arabic would be.

It's only for things like maths + philosophy where they might take you for straight maths if your philosophy / thinking skills aren't up to scratch.

PS: Which college are you applying to ?
Reply 8
My preferred course is Philosophy and Modern Languages. I think it's alright, the admissions secretary told me I could either bring it up on the Oxford form's 'additional information', or at interview.

I'm applying to New College - my Oxbridge obsessed headmistress has advised me to apply there since they specifically welcome Philosophy and Modern Languages applicants. I wanted to apply to Merton instead, but I'm sure I'll like New College, if I actually get in!
Reply 9
midnight_tiptoe
Hey, I was considering studying Arabic ab-initio at university along with French. Does anyone speak the language or is studying it?

I'd be willing to put in the extra effort because I really do love languages, just wondering what everyone else makes of it.

Same as me!!!

What are the other uni's you are looking to go to?
Hey, im thinking of doing Oriental studies at oxford (in my wildest dreams!!) and doing arabic/middle eastern studies. Does anyone know how much is language and how much is lit/history/culture or anything else? Thanks
confuddled101
Hey, im thinking of doing Oriental studies at oxford (in my wildest dreams!!) and doing arabic/middle eastern studies. Does anyone know how much is language and how much is lit/history/culture or anything else? Thanks

I'd be very interested in the answer to this, except for Cambridge (Arabic & Persian especially) and other places like SOAS. :smile:
Look on the website/email the department and ask them to send you such info.

Latest

Trending

Trending