The Student Room Group

The Barbelles Society: Ladies Who Lift

Scroll to see replies

Trained at Bethnal Green today. Will do a detailed post about it in my blog tomorrow at some point :h:
Guys I love the free weights room :biggrin:

Clean and jerked 30kg today, was scared getting that much weight over my head :tongue: And overhead squatted with just the bar, but still the most weight I've done so happy days. My hands are a bit shredded, but was very worth it.

The room at my gym is quite small though, which when busy will be annoying. Can't wait until next year, the gym at St.George's where I'm going is £50 for the year and has a free weights room about twice the size!
Urgh, my knees are making disgusting sounds every time I have to squat down to do something. Is it okay to do squats with weights today, do you reckon?
Original post by LeighAnne93
Guys I love the free weights room :biggrin:

Clean and jerked 30kg today, was scared getting that much weight over my head :tongue: And overhead squatted with just the bar, but still the most weight I've done so happy days. My hands are a bit shredded, but was very worth it.

The room at my gym is quite small though, which when busy will be annoying. Can't wait until next year, the gym at St.George's where I'm going is £50 for the year and has a free weights room about twice the size!

Congrats on the C&J :biggrin:

Original post by Aemiliana
Urgh, my knees are making disgusting sounds every time I have to squat down to do something. Is it okay to do squats with weights today, do you reckon?

You mean clicking? Do you eat oily fish/take supplements?
Original post by Becca
Congrats on the C&J :biggrin:

I've been meaning to ask, did you get your weightlifting shoes online? Cause I've no idea where to look really, and are women's ones much different because I actually haven't seen any that aren't mens.
Original post by Becca

Original post by Becca
You mean clicking? Do you eat oily fish/take supplements?

It's a lovely grinding and clicking sound. I take multivitamins/iron but I'm not great with omega 3 :colondollar: When my knees/legs are strong, they tend to be okay (e.g. when I rowed), so it should go away if I continue to build strength there, I just don't know if it's healthy to do so? My poor legs - shin splints and silly knees and a now old hip injury :rolleyes: Who convinced me exercise was healthy, again?
The clicking is usualy just gas escaping from the joints so don't fret on that too much.

My knees sound like old crisp packets at times :-O

Oly shoes are non-gender specific so just get what you like.
I've been meaning to ask, did you get your weightlifting shoes online? Cause I've no idea where to look really, and are women's ones much different because I actually haven't seen any that aren't mens.

Yeah, I got my shoes online here: http://www.sugarrays.co.uk/shop/weightlifting-equipment-weightlifting-shoes.html
Was really happy with the service, they were delivered really quick (I have adidas power perfect II). Afaik, there's no difference between women's and men's shoes, you just buy them in your size, in my case a 6. I went for adidas shoes because I have adidas trainers so I know that a 6 fits me perfectly.

Original post by Aemiliana
It's a lovely grinding and clicking sound. I take multivitamins/iron but I'm not great with omega 3 :colondollar: When my knees/legs are strong, they tend to be okay (e.g. when I rowed), so it should go away if I continue to build strength there, I just don't know if it's healthy to do so? My poor legs - shin splints and silly knees and a now old hip injury :rolleyes: Who convinced me exercise was healthy, again?

I get really bad joint clicking, and it definitely gets worse when I don't take my fish oil supplements or eat my tinned mackerel! I'd try that.
Thanks for the advice :smile: I like the look of these http://www.ristosports.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=112 but I don't know if that's just because they're pink :rolleyes:
The adidas ones are really nice, and it's coming up to my birthday so I may send a few links to my mother :tongue:
I really miss lifting. :frown:
Thanks for the advice :smile: I like the look of these http://www.ristosports.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=112 but I don't know if that's just because they're pink :rolleyes:
The adidas ones are really nice, and it's coming up to my birthday so I may send a few links to my mother :tongue:

Woah pink ones :coma:

Original post by sleekchic
I really miss lifting. :frown:

How come you're not lifting atm?
Shoes shoes shoes, I need. But not as much as a bar. I have nowhere to train because I'm out in the sticks in Staffordshire for the summer :frown: and I'd just persuaded my mummy to buy me the cheapest bar on Argos (£40 - I haven't a penny left to my name after travelling, hence why I'm at my mother's for the summer) before realising that I can't do oly lifts with it, dur.

The cheapest 20kg oly bar I could find was £54: http://www.fitness-superstore.co.uk/olympic_bars/bodypower_7_olympic_bar_320kg___700lb_rated/3202_p.html and that's just the bar.

I don't know what to doooo :frown:
What a cock up of a month. Missed a few sessions due to things coming up - hey ho can't be helped, but now I'm seriously having trouble with my elbow (both actually, but more so in one). Not sure what to do anymore. It doesn't hurt all the time, just certain movements. Closing my hand round something and squeezing is the worst pain... but this is exactly what you need to do in a deadlift, and extending my arm and twisting niggles the same pain. But once I've actually got past the pain - ie, if I squeeze something and continue through the pain - it stops for a bit, probably why I've not really noticed it too much during lifting sessions, but then after it's back and can be worse if I'f done something strenuous. Tried missing out deadlifts and doing push press and squats but the twisting motion in my elbows brought on the pain a little and didn't wana risk it. I feel so lazy going home and moping around but I have no idea whether this pain that's just gona get progressively worse if I carry on, or whether it'll hurt less once I get a bit stronger... tempting belief. But it's joint pain, not muscular. So I have no idea - wanted to try to get pics to check I'm not doing something stupid like putting my hands in a position that messes my elbow position up but it's not happened - really just feel like I'm doing nothing for a stupid little reason. Might find something I can do well and just do HIIT training for a few months to keep the motivation up. :stomp:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Becca
Woah pink ones :coma:

How come you're not lifting atm?

I haven't been able to find a job for summer and I can't afford a gym membership.

Besides it's now too late and all the gyms in my area do a minimum 4 month contract.
Reply 1994
I haven't been able to find a job for summer and I can't afford a gym membership.

:ditto:

Sucks when loads of companies have jumped on the apprentice thing. So many admin and even retail jobs have now become apprenticeship schemes. £2.50 an hour to work in a clothes store as a sales consultant, madness.
Original post by shorty.loves.angels
What a cock up of a month. Missed a few sessions due to things coming up - hey ho can't be helped, but now I'm seriously having trouble with my elbow (both actually, but more so in one). Not sure what to do anymore. It doesn't hurt all the time, just certain movements. Closing my hand round something and squeezing is the worst pain... but this is exactly what you need to do in a deadlift, and extending my arm and twisting niggles the same pain. But once I've actually got past the pain - ie, if I squeeze something and continue through the pain - it stops for a bit, probably why I've not really noticed it too much during lifting sessions, but then after it's back and can be worse if I'f done something strenuous. Tried missing out deadlifts and doing push press and squats but the twisting motion in my elbows brought on the pain a little and didn't wana risk it. I feel so lazy going home and moping around but I have no idea whether this pain that's just gona get progressively worse if I carry on, or whether it'll hurt less once I get a bit stronger... tempting belief. But it's joint pain, not muscular. So I have no idea - wanted to try to get pics to check I'm not doing something stupid like putting my hands in a position that messes my elbow position up but it's not happened - really just feel like I'm doing nothing for a stupid little reason. Might find something I can do well and just do HIIT training for a few months to keep the motivation up. :stomp:

http://www.strengthshop.co.uk/sleeves-wraps-straps/elbow-sleeves/hercules-elbow-sleeve-support-brace-thick-heavy.html

does the trick well
Original post by Powerlifter
The clicking is usualy just gas escaping from the joints so don't fret on that too much.

My knees sound like old crisp packets at times :-O

Oly shoes are non-gender specific so just get what you like.

Original post by Becca
Yeah, I got my shoes online here: http://www.sugarrays.co.uk/shop/weightlifting-equipment-weightlifting-shoes.html
Was really happy with the service, they were delivered really quick (I have adidas power perfect II). Afaik, there's no difference between women's and men's shoes, you just buy them in your size, in my case a 6. I went for adidas shoes because I have adidas trainers so I know that a 6 fits me perfectly.

I get really bad joint clicking, and it definitely gets worse when I don't take my fish oil supplements or eat my tinned mackerel! I'd try that.

Okay, thanks guys! I'll try and get some fish oil to take (my current one is 3 months out of date, I'm not sure if I should use it or not haha). My knees are a hell of a lot better than before rowing though, thank God!

That simple? I've never really understood the effectiveness of these support things. I hope so, I'll invest next month.

Don't beat yourself up! Try the sleeve things, and if that doesn't work you should get it checked out :yep: The most important thing is to keep active in some way!

Besides it's now too late and all the gyms in my area do a minimum 4 month contract.

:frown: My sister's had the same problem.
Original post by rlw31
:ditto:

Sucks when loads of companies have jumped on the apprentice thing. So many admin and even retail jobs have now become apprenticeship schemes. £2.50 an hour to work in a clothes store as a sales consultant, madness.

What's this apprentice thing? Was EF a no-go in the end?
That simple? I've never really understood the effectiveness of these support things. I hope so, I'll invest next month.

They basically compress the joint to keep it warm, the compression also assists with unnesesary movement of the main ligaments so assists in prevention of fluid build up behind the ligaments.

Quick Reply

Latest