The Student Room Group

The Barbelles Society: Ladies Who Lift

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Original post by sauce
For your MAX deadlift is just doing one acceptable? Or should I be putting the weight down and doing 3?

That will depend on what you're maxing out on. 1RM (1 rep max), 2RM, 3RM etc etc.

Try not to max out too often once you get stronger. And especially try not to do too many 1RMs. If you want your 1RM to go up, focus on getting your 5RM up for a while.
Reply 381
Original post by SMed
That will depend on what you're maxing out on. 1RM (1 rep max), 2RM, 3RM etc etc.

Try not to max out too often once you get stronger. And especially try not to do too many 1RMs. If you want your 1RM to go up, focus on getting your 5RM up for a while.

My best atm is 75kg and is 1RM.
Reply 382
65kg deadlift - 3 sets of 8 reps :yeah: Gonna move up to 70kg next week. I wonder what my max is? How do you build up to doing a 1RM?

Had a complete fail bench session though, lifted 35kg for 3 sets of 3 reps last friday and I couldn't even do 1 rep of it yesterday :frown: Had to stick on 30kg grrrr!
Reply 383
Original post by sauce
My best atm is 75kg and is 1RM.

PUPPIES!!!! Huskies, yes? I love Huskies so much.
Reply 384
Original post by Sorani
PUPPIES!!!! Huskies, yes? I love Huskies so much.

huskies indeed :biggrin: :awesome: I love em too :love:

20kg push press, new record!
Reply 385
New bench record, 37.5kg! Only one rep though, but still :cool:
Reply 386
Squats tomorrow yay! i need something to take my mind off the way I feel right now.
12 kg in each hand doing bent over dumbell row things... =D

Louise Fox won the WDFPA World Championships with a three lift toal of 340kgs (world record total) at 53kg bodyweight.

Not sure on the breakdown of the lifts but I know she deadlifted 168kgs for a new World Record
Reply 389
Original post by MattGriff
Louise Fox won the WDFPA World Championships with a three lift toal of 340kgs (world record total) at 53kg bodyweight.

Not sure on the breakdown of the lifts but I know she deadlifted 168kgs for a new World Record

That's awesome. Any vids?
Original post by Becca
That's awesome. Any vids?

Hopefully there will be some crop up, she only lifted on Sat though so knowing powerlifting it willtake a week or so for the vids to appear.
Reply 391
45kg x 3 squat :smile:
Reply 392
Original post by MattGriff
Hopefully there will be some crop up, she only lifted on Sat though so knowing powerlifting it willtake a week or so for the vids to appear.

Cool! Let us know if any appear soon, I'd love to watch it!

Original post by sauce
45kg x 3 squat :smile:

Awesome! I've been doing lots of stretching and rotator cuff exercises, can't wait to see if it helps me squat with the bar :cool:

I did 4 sets of 4x 70kg deadlifts today :jiggy: SO tired now, but that's a new record! :biggrin: I can't believe that less than 2 months ago I was being a pussy and using the machine, doing about 25kg. Ahaha.
Reply 393
Original post by Becca
Cool! Let us know if any appear soon, I'd love to watch it!

Awesome! I've been doing lots of stretching and rotator cuff exercises, can't wait to see if it helps me squat with the bar :cool:

I did 4 sets of 4x 70kg deadlifts today :jiggy: SO tired now, but that's a new record! :biggrin: I can't believe that less than 2 months ago I was being a pussy and using the machine, doing about 25kg. Ahaha.

ooof well done! my bluddy legs let me down in squats, I tried for some more 45kg(another set) but they wouldnt bludy let me :mad:
Reply 394
Im have been training for about 5 months now. The first 3 months I have progressed really quickly. But now on dumbell press flat I am stuck on doing 27.5kg and i barely manage to do 2x5 of those (i do 1x8 on 25kg). I am trying to get up to 30kg (haven't tried it yet) but i know i won't be able to lift it. I have been stuck on this weight for about a months. Why is this? Also my pecks have got slightly bigger though.
Reply 395
Original post by sauce
ooof well done! my bluddy legs let me down in squats, I tried for some more 45kg(another set) but they wouldnt bludy let me :mad:

Isn't it weird how sometimes your muscles just give up on you? You think you feel fine but then you try and do an exercise and woosh! you have 0 power!
Okay, being ill has stopped me going to the gym. I'll go again when I'm feeling less dizzy (so tonight hopefully :woo:). I feel so lazy without going :sad:
Reply 397
Original post by steffi.alexa
Okay, being ill has stopped me going to the gym. I'll go again when I'm feeling less dizzy (so tonight hopefully :woo:). I feel so lazy without going :sad:

Don't push yourself too much if you're not feeling well, it might make you feel more ill in the long run!
Reply 398
I did it! After months of indecision and scaredy-catness, I used barbells for the first time and ignored all the muscle men around me. I could see them looking curiously at me from time to time but I pretended not to notice. I just hope I wasn't doing it wrong because I don't want them thinking, "what an idiot, her technique is rubbish." I realise this is not the way normal people think, but such is my fear of gym people.

Deadlifts are really satisfying! Hooray for that. I think I was doing them right - made sure my back was straight. It felt good. I started really small though as I didn't know what I could handle (10kg, 12kg, 15kg, 17.5kg, 20kg.) I'm actually a bit confused as to what you do when you get to the really heavy ones and it's hard to lift them over to your little designated area? I know some people have gym buddies but alas, I do not :frown:

Another question - I always see people talk about how much they've pressed and all that. How do you measure it? I assume with barbells you go by the number on the side of the barbell (which is presumably the total weight and not just the weight of each side) and with dumbbells you state the total of both dumbbells? For example, I used 6kg-10kg dumbbells, so I chest pressed 12kg-20kg?

Also, what do you guys do between sets? I always feel like a bit of a numpty standing around. But I'm doing that "Stripped" workout and it says not to alter the order of the exercises so I don't think I should mix around the exercises. That being said, I accidentally did chest presses instead of military presses (idiotic) :colondollar:

Sorry for all my n00b talk and questions. I am really glad this thread/society exists :love:
Reply 399
Original post by Jelkin
I did it! After months of indecision and scaredy-catness, I used barbells for the first time and ignored all the muscle men around me. I could see them looking curiously at me from time to time but I pretended not to notice. I just hope I wasn't doing it wrong because I don't want them thinking, "what an idiot, her technique is rubbish." I realise this is not the way normal people think, but such is my fear of gym people.

Deadlifts are really satisfying! Hooray for that. I think I was doing them right - made sure my back was straight. It felt good. I started really small though as I didn't know what I could handle (10kg, 12kg, 15kg, 17.5kg, 20kg.) I'm actually a bit confused as to what you do when you get to the really heavy ones and it's hard to lift them over to your little designated area? I know some people have gym buddies but alas, I do not :frown:

Another question - I always see people talk about how much they've pressed and all that. How do you measure it? I assume with barbells you go by the number on the side of the barbell (which is presumably the total weight and not just the weight of each side) and with dumbbells you state the total of both dumbbells? For example, I used 6kg-10kg dumbbells, so I chest pressed 12kg-20kg?

Also, what do you guys do between sets? I always feel like a bit of a numpty standing around. But I'm doing that "Stripped" workout and it says not to alter the order of the exercises so I don't think I should mix around the exercises. That being said, I accidentally did chest presses instead of military presses (idiotic) :colondollar:

Sorry for all my n00b talk and questions. I am really glad this thread/society exists :love:

Yaaaay! I'm confused by what you mean by carrying them over? Doesn't your gym just have weight discs you slide on and off to get the weight you want? In my gym the discs only go up to 25kg, so you'll be able to carry that.
In between sets I do just stand around, write down my weights, chat with my bf if he's there. Not much really.

I don't know about the dumbell question though!

Quick Reply

Latest