The Student Room Group

The Barbelles Society: Ladies Who Lift

Scroll to see replies

Reply 980
Original post by sleekchic
I know this is probably useless without videos but I'll try anyway. A guy at the gym stopped me during deadlifts and said that I was pulling with my lower back. Although I'm not entirely sure how you pull with your lower back did he mean engaing your lower back? He also said something about needing to bring my hips much lower, although I thought anyway lower and it would be similar to a squat? Again useless without videos but I'm re-watching Rippetoes tutorial on the deadlift and I just wanted some thoughts really.

I hope you don't mind me mentioning something which has really helped me (and by helped I mean make 85kg which previously scared me feel like almost nothing!)
Basically I was keeping my hips too low in the start position, causing me to waste loads of energy at the start of the lift and risking having my back rounded, like in the bad pics Matt posted.
I watched a few things and it really helped me to think about pulling the bar backwards rather than straight up! Also to really lock in my lower back arch (meaning your hips will be in the right position).

Hope this helps, sorry if it's annoying :redface:
Original post by Powerlifter
I know exactly what he means and it is common.

What will be happening is your hips are coming up but without the bar breaking off the floor, rather your legs almost straighten then your back rounds to lift the weight, which thrusts out the lower back.

Hips are not as low as the squat at the start of a deadlift, but leg drive should initiate the lift - for every inch your hips rise the bar should rise if you catch my drift.

This is a pretty good pic of what I mean, as the hips rise so does the bar

where as here you see the back is rounded, thus lifting using the lower back

if you look at Mr Schwarzenegger here you note he is keeping his spine 'neutral'

So basically drive with your legs, the moment the bar clears your knees fire your hips forward as if shagging the bar to complete the lift.

Original post by Becca
I hope you don't mind me mentioning something which has really helped me (and by helped I mean make 85kg which previously scared me feel like almost nothing!)
Basically I was keeping my hips too low in the start position, causing me to waste loads of energy at the start of the lift and risking having my back rounded, like in the bad pics Matt posted.
I watched a few things and it really helped me to think about pulling the bar backwards rather than straight up! Also to really lock in my lower back arch (meaning your hips will be in the right position).

Hope this helps, sorry if it's annoying :redface:

No it's perfectly fine Becca.

I forgot to say, when he originally talked about me using my lower back, I thought he actually meant there shouldn't be a lower back arch ie like the first picture Matt posted which is why I got confused ans decided to ask on here. I guess just misunderstood him but if you pull your shoulder blades back, it engages your lower back. Well not engages I think the word I'm looking for is arches. I got really confused but I think I'll go a few practice reps on Saturday just for my own peace of mind, bearing in mind everything Matt and you have posted.
Reply 982
Related to the posts about guys at the gym, I'm not lifting at the moment but when I was, if there were any guys in the weight room standing around chatting in the rack or just sitting on the benches I'd just walk over there and ask nicely if they were using it or if they could let me know when they'd finished. Most of the time it turned out they weren't using whatever they were sitting on and would be happy to give it up. Then again, as the only female using the weights room I did get a bit territorial :wink: But I found that the guys had a lot of respect for me and I think that was because I wasn't afraid to make my presence known and I wasn't willing to just hide in the corner being unable to use any of the equipment because I was a paying member and I had as much right as they did to be there.

Don't be afraid to go in there and mark the territory a bit, most of the guys will probably look a little bit but if you go at the same time every week you tend to see the same people and they get used to you being there. I learnt a lot from being in the weight room, partly because when I first started I thought I was rubbish and doing everything wrong and then I watched all these guys using their entire bodyweight to do a bicep curl and realised that maybe I wasn't as bad as I thought, and partly because I got some free advice on my form from guys who could actually lift properly so ended up being spotted on my lunges, squats and being given tuition on chin ups and pull-ups and how to do easy versions for weaklings like me! :smile:

Have faith in yourself, you have every right to be there!
(edited 13 years ago)
I wasn't aware that any of you ladies were getting derogatory comments from going to the gym/weights room!

What sort of things are said?

Don't worry, you'll soon all be much stronger than the typical wannabe gangster types that are most prone to making these comments (in fact Sleekchich already is, plus another poster whose name I forget).
Reply 984
I have to walk through the weight section to get to some of the equipment, if I'm outside the 'line' they just stare. A lot. Its really off putting (especially when you're on the rowing machine and there is a guy staring RIGHT AT YOU on the other side of it). If I cross into the weight section to get something they usually just stare and then chat and laugh amongst their mates and point/gesture at you as they do so. I said before I do pole fitness and was wearing my pole fitness t-shirt and one guy shouted at me to 'do him some sexy stripper dance' or something, ridiculous.

I have real body confidence and self esteem issues so I really hate having attention draw to myself unless I feel in a really comfortable environment. The gym is a bit alien anyway but then when I know I'm dressed in slobby clothes and stuff I just hate drawing attention to myself at all.

This is why I'm planning to try and do stuff on a swissball, I heard it helps give you core strength because you're balancing at the same time, which is what I need for belly dance, but it also means I can just grab the ball and weights and go into the cardio room where there aren't loads of guys standing round posing and practicing their manly weightlifting faces in the mirror and chatting about the birds they've banged on their phone to their mates.

Also, do you not all get really worried about sticking your bum out when doing deadlifts? :p: I'd never stick my arse out like that in public!
I've had comments when lifting tbf, mainly when I started, people kept telling me I should be a cardio bunny and my body would look better that way.

Don't get so many comments now I can lift double my bodyweight (admittedly not much, I weigh just under 50kg).
Reply 986
Its such a catch 22. If I looked nice then I'd have more confidence, but can't go towards looking better until I get into the gym. Horrible. I'm still on my quest for 4 stone in 12 months.
Original post by Serentonin
I've had comments when lifting tbf, mainly when I started, people kept telling me I should be a cardio bunny and my body would look better that way.

Don't get so many comments now I can lift double my bodyweight (admittedly not much, I weigh just under 50kg).

Really? Men are ****ers. **** the lot of them!
Original post by Serentonin

You can lift double BW?? :eek: Guessing that's DL'ing 100. That's awesome...

What are your other lifts?
These guys are simply as Smack pointed out the wanna be gangster types. I have training with several women including two world champions and they workout and encourage in the same way.

I also get looks and get watched from a lot of guys at the gym, mainly as myself and the group i train with are usually lifting 20 x more than the staring dickheads can.

I wouldn't recommended a swiss ball though fran, the 'core' benefits are nothing like that from squats, overhead press and deadlifts.
Reply 990
Original post by Powerlifter
These guys are simply as Smack pointed out the wanna be gangster types. I have training with several women including two world champions and they workout and encourage in the same way.

I also get looks and get watched from a lot of guys at the gym, mainly as myself and the group i train with are usually lifting 20 x more than the staring dickheads can.

I wouldn't recommended a swiss ball though fran, the 'core' benefits are nothing like that from squats, overhead press and deadlifts.

But surely its better than nothing? As I said, the weights area is pretty much full and I can't stand just running on the treadmill for endless amounts of time waiting for them to leave.

(I do actually quite like the treadmill :colondollar: Nice warmup)
Reply 991
Hmmm Fran, maybe goblet squats would be good for you? I don't know what you currently do but they were what I started with when I was learning to get 'down low' before I tackled the rack. They only require use of a dumbbell and you can squat with weight and work your way up in size without needing to use the rack and you can just grab a dumbbell and go somewhere else to do it. I used to get a pretty good workout from them! They'll be really good for getting you used to squatting, getting down low and maybe giving you more confidence too?
Here's a link with a vid: http://mboyle1959.wordpress.com/2010/08/27/dan-john-was-right-about-goblet-squats/
There's this video of Dan John teaching them and it totally inspired me because I was a person who couldn't squat for **** and due to my poor hip mobility, thought I'd never be able to squat properly! In the video he shows this guy who can't squat properly and really goes over technique and within ten minutes has him squatting perfectly.

I did new rules of lifting for women for a while and that involved quite a lot of dumbbell work so you could do things like step-ups, lunges, rows, shoulder presses, press-ups, jackknives (best ab exercise ever), all without having to go in the weight room?

I tried doing chest presses on a swiss ball once and failed miserably :frown: kept falling off the side and couldn't lift enough weight because I felt so unstable!
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by fran.ha
But surely its better than nothing? As I said, the weights area is pretty much full and I can't stand just running on the treadmill for endless amounts of time waiting for them to leave.

(I do actually quite like the treadmill :colondollar: Nice warmup)

It is better than nothing, but just shoving some morons out of the way would be better
Reply 993
The guys at our uni gym are quite nice, besides the usual guy-gossiping and hovering around doing nothing (but they usually are willing to share or give up their bars/spots if they aren't doing anything productive, when I ask them). I've had some guys staring at my deadlifting and squatting, but nothing too bad. Besides me and my friend, I've only seen a few girls doing biceps curls, goblet squats and stuff like that with light dumbbells.

I think it's just a question of developing a proper attitude; you have the right to be there using the weights or other machinery, to do your workout and then get out. If they start making stupid comments, you should just ignore them, stare at them scornfully as if they were dog ****, or pay back in kind by criticising their lifting (especially if they're the kind that can curl a lot, but couldn't deadlift to save their lives). No one's been stupid enough to insult me, so I haven't had a chance to rip into anyone yet :colone:
It helps when you're confident in what you do; even though I'm quite a confident person, I always hesitate a bit before trying a new lift (for example I only tried benching for the first time, when my friend was there to spot and the gym was quite empty). But otherwise I come in, mind my own business, work through my lifts and then leave.

And fran, if you can take some of the weights with you to another area, do that, but don't bother with the swiss ball. For example just work on goblet squats and modified deadlifts, shoulder press etc. with the dumbbell until you feel comfortable enough to go back to the proper weights area and work with an empty barbell.

Also probably found myself a training partner. He used to be quite big apparently, but he's been cutting down, and recently joined our boxing gym for conditioning, while still doing strength training at our uni gym. Can now maybe try to get my squats heavier, since he can spot for me (the other friend mentioned before is way too small to spot for heavy stuff).
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 994
Original post by aivi
The guys at our uni gym are quite nice, besides the usual guy-gossiping and hovering around doing nothing (but they usually are willing to share or give up their bars/spots if they aren't doing anything productive, when I ask them). I've had some guys staring at my deadlifting and squatting, but nothing too bad. Besides me and my friend, I've only seen a few girls doing biceps curls, goblet squats and stuff like that with light dumbbells.

I think it's just a question of developing a proper attitude; you have the right to be there using the weights or other machinery, to do your workout and then get out. If they start making stupid comments, you should just ignore them, stare at them scornfully as if they were dog ****, or pay back in kind by criticising their lifting (especially if they're the kind that can curl a lot, but couldn't deadlift to save their lives). No one's been stupid enough to insult me, so I haven't had a chance to rip into anyone yet :colone:
It helps when you're confident in what you do; even though I'm quite a confident person, I always hesitate a bit before trying a new lift (for example I only tried benching for the first time, when my friend was there to spot and the gym was quite empty). But otherwise I come in, mind my own business, work through my lifts and then leave.

And fran, if you can take some of the weights with you to another area, do that, but don't bother with the swiss ball. For example just work on goblet squats and modified deadlifts, shoulder press etc. with the dumbbell until you feel comfortable enough to go back to the proper weights area and work with an empty barbell.

Also probably found myself a training partner. He used to be quite big apparently, but he's been cutting down, and recently joined our boxing gym for conditioning, while still doing strength training at our uni gym. Can now maybe try to get my squats heavier, since he can spot for me (the other friend mentioned before is way too small to spot for heavy stuff).

Hmm have to give up on that idea :frown: There is no where else in the gym I can really get away with doing weights unless I was on a swiss ball anyway, and I can't really sit on the floor... I'm not sure I could get away with doing anything proper elsewhere in the gym cos it would have to be in the yoga mat section thing. Oh well, back to the running machine for me.
Reply 995
Original post by fran.ha
Hmm have to give up on that idea :frown: There is no where else in the gym I can really get away with doing weights unless I was on a swiss ball anyway, and I can't really sit on the floor... I'm not sure I could get away with doing anything proper elsewhere in the gym cos it would have to be in the yoga mat section thing. Oh well, back to the running machine for me.

Do you have any friends you could cajole into training with you, at least for a few times, before you can start working out on your own? Or maybe listen to music while lifting and completely ignore all the other people there? It's not fair that you can't workout the way you want to because of a few idiots :mad: If I could I would come to train with you and take care of those guys :frown:
Reply 996
Original post by aivi
Do you have any friends you could cajole into training with you, at least for a few times, before you can start working out on your own? Or maybe listen to music while lifting and completely ignore all the other people there? It's not fair that you can't workout the way you want to because of a few idiots :mad: If I could I would come to train with you and take care of those guys :frown:

Nah I don't know anyone else who goes to the gym really, except my exhousemate but I never see him and I don't think he goes very regularly.

Its my own fault really, I just don't have the confidence for stuff like this. I'll just remain in this thread and dream looking at you all chatting about it :moon:
Original post by fran.ha
Nah I don't know anyone else who goes to the gym really, except my exhousemate but I never see him and I don't think he goes very regularly.

Its my own fault really, I just don't have the confidence for stuff like this. I'll just remain in this thread and dream looking at you all chatting about it :moon:

But in a few months time you could be looking at YOUR progress rather than other peoples.

Please don't let a bunch of guys govern what you do. You only need to find that confidence once - try going when you're angry about something, it does wonders for confidence!! - to walk up while they're lounging around and ask if you can use the space while they're not. Have a lift in mind - read up plenty before you go so you have a really good idea of how to do it, something fairly simple will be good to start with - and just do a few sets while they look on wondering why they were wasting time standing about. It is daunting at first, and it's always difficult to find confidence when you feel like a novice but you'll feel so much better after you've done your first set. And I'll leave it to you to find out how good it feels when you actually start noticing a difference.
Reply 998
Original post by shorty.loves.angels
But in a few months time you could be looking at YOUR progress rather than other peoples.

Please don't let a bunch of guys govern what you do. You only need to find that confidence once - try going when you're angry about something, it does wonders for confidence!! - to walk up while they're lounging around and ask if you can use the space while they're not. Have a lift in mind - read up plenty before you go so you have a really good idea of how to do it, something fairly simple will be good to start with - and just do a few sets while they look on wondering why they were wasting time standing about. It is daunting at first, and it's always difficult to find confidence when you feel like a novice but you'll feel so much better after you've done your first set. And I'll leave it to you to find out how good it feels when you actually start noticing a difference.

I guess, but like I said i just don't think I have the confidence. I'm trying to spend time on here so I can read up and know as much as I can but there is a lot to understand. I've been listening in on all of you for about a month now :/ I'm still hoping for a day when there is no one in there so I can try something. I just don't really have any confidence especially in a place where I know people will be looking and judging.

Thanks for your advice though guys, hopefully one day I'll be able to do cool things like this.
Original post by fran.ha
I guess, but like I said i just don't think I have the confidence. I'm trying to spend time on here so I can read up and know as much as I can but there is a lot to understand. I've been listening in on all of you for about a month now :/ I'm still hoping for a day when there is no one in there so I can try something. I just don't really have any confidence especially in a place where I know people will be looking and judging.

Thanks for your advice though guys, hopefully one day I'll be able to do cool things like this.

Have you asked the staff when the less busier times are? You could say you want to spend some time working on form and don't wana hog the space :smile: Plus it would be a good idea :wink:

Come on Fran, could be you posting stats on a lifting blog in the next month :bigsmile:

Quick Reply

Latest