The Student Room Group

The Barbelles Society: Ladies Who Lift

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1180
Original post by fran.ha
I did some lifting today, just dumbell stuff on the swiss ball, gone up to the next weight too which is cool. I was hoping as it was a Sunday the freeweight area might be quiet so I could try out using a barbell, but no, still full (in fact the entire gym was empty except the guys in the freeweights!)

I think this must be a university gym thing because in my gym at home it was always dead at the weekends, it was the only time I ever managed to get the weights room to myself and I loved it! However I know at my uni there's not a lot to do at the weekend so the gym is an obvious choice.

Having explored my options, I can't really afford the gyms in my area (and i'm not willing to pay for equipment which doesn't meet my needs), so I'm bringing all my free weights from home back here after Easter, which means stealing them back off my brother. I have four spinlock dumbbell handles (because I got annoyed with constantly having to change the plates for every exercise), and 35kg of plates I think. I'd like a barbell but don't have enough room at the moment so will have to wait until September!
Original post by fran.ha
I did some lifting today, just dumbell stuff on the swiss ball, gone up to the next weight too which is cool. I was hoping as it was a Sunday the freeweight area might be quiet so I could try out using a barbell, but no, still full (in fact the entire gym was empty except the guys in the freeweights!)

If you want the gym to be empty then go in the mornings. I've been the only person in the free weights room a load of times in the mornings.

Just go the minute it opens at the weekend and there will be plenty of space...
Original post by MHorman
If you want the gym to be empty then go in the mornings. I've been the only person in the free weights room a load of times in the mornings.

Just go the minute it opens at the weekend and there will be plenty of space...

Hmm good idea, I'm so not a morning person but I guess I'll have to try and force myself :p:
Original post by shorty.loves.angels
We've gone quiet, guys and dolls.

I've not been to the gym all week. Can't work out whether that's a good thing, as I've been ill and my elbows have been pretty fragile... I can only assume that's from lifting, and I'l feel better after the rest, or if it's gona have a negative effect this week... let's hope not. Also, what do you all do on none lifting days? I suppose picking up the iron cardio again would be a good idea - as usual I forget I ever started doing this :rolleyes: But it might be fun to add something else in on these days, if any would like to share ideas?

I try to do running/rugby. Rugby training has slacked off because the term's winding down and I have lot to do but for running I'm on the couchto5k programme and that's going well.

If you're looking for stuff to do then this looks pretty good. http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/rossboxing2.htm

I think I'll try it sometime this week.
Original post by shorty.loves.angels
We've gone quiet, guys and dolls.

I've not been to the gym all week. Can't work out whether that's a good thing, as I've been ill and my elbows have been pretty fragile... I can only assume that's from lifting, and I'l feel better after the rest, or if it's gona have a negative effect this week... let's hope not. Also, what do you all do on none lifting days? I suppose picking up the iron cardio again would be a good idea - as usual I forget I ever started doing this :rolleyes: But it might be fun to add something else in on these days, if any would like to share ideas?

Have you been benching and overhead pressing a lot? I find my elbows get sore if I do, and I've found that doing some bicep curls really strengthens and eases the soreness.
Original post by Becca
Have you been benching and overhead pressing a lot? I find my elbows get sore if I do, and I've found that doing some bicep curls really strengthens and eases the soreness.

I normally say curls for the girls (as it attaining) but in your case I can let you off being a metro male ha ha
Original post by Powerlifter
I normally say curls for the girls (as it attaining) but in your case I can let you off being a metro male ha ha

Are you saying I am manly? :colone:
Original post by Becca
Are you saying I am manly? :colone:

Ha ha more so than me!!!
Ha ha more so than me!!!

:sad:

I can be quite girly when I want to :girl:

But right now I am going to the gym to be manly :colone:
Original post by Becca
:sad:

I can be quite girly when I want to :girl:

But right now I am going to the gym to be manly :colone:

Ha ha do it! Its only modern socioty that labels it as manly, personally I find it hot as hell! More women should do it!
Ha ha do it! Its only modern socioty that labels it as manly, personally I find it hot as hell! More women should do it!

I did and it was awesome! Only an easy/practice session though, but still.

I think I will officially be manly when I can do one full pullup.
Original post by Becca
I did and it was awesome! Only an easy/practice session though, but still.

I think I will officially be manly when I can do one full pullup.

Well in that case then I am homo as i would so e-tap that!!!!!

And also, dat ass in the orange! E-fap time!!!
"E-tap" looool.

The ass is making me jealous, buns of steel!
Original post by Becca
buns of steel!

Hell yes, for some reason makes me think "I bet she has some excellent hip thrusting strength with glutes like that"

Can't think why, there would be no benefit whatsoever to a man if a lass could smack his head of the headboard......from the bottom of the bed - Hell to the Yizzle!!!
Original post by Becca

Yeh I was doing a lot of overhead presses... I'll try your advice off and on :smile: But I love presses so much :smile: Still haven't be able to learn to do pull ups :frown:

On a more positive note, I have been back to the gym today after a week of feeling rough and eased in nicely due to a free squat rack :smile: Didn't do as much as I usually do but I'll get back to that the rest of this week, and I still came out feeling like I'd been hammered so it's all good.

And that annoying PT told me that he liked my style today and that I'm a 'nice strong woman' :rolleyes: Last week he wanted me fapping around with 10kgs. Nob
Reply 1195
Just wondering, as I've only ever used weight machines in the gym before, what is the difference between weight machines and free weights? And are free weights more effective? Sorry if its a stupid question or already been answered, but 61 pages is a lot to look through!
Well a car is a machine and walking is what you do.

What burns more bodily energy, trains more muscles and improves fitness more:

1: Driving 5 miles
2: Walking 5 miles

By definition
A machine is a device that uses energy to perform some activity. In common usage, the meaning is that of a device having parts that perform or assist in performing any type of work. A simple machine is a device that transforms the direction or magnitude of a force.

As such a machine weight is doing something for you, be it altering the angle of the force, assisting you, providing stability etc which means they are super super gay and lazy
I managed my 100kg deadlift again this morning :woo: so happy.

Really need to improve my squat loads tho.
(edited 13 years ago)
Respect!!!!
Original post by Serentonin
I managed my 100kg deadlift again this morning :woo: so happy.

Really need to improve my squat loads tho.

Awesome! Apparently i'm not allowed to rep you again yet :colonhash:

What's your squat at now?

Quick Reply

Latest