The Student Room Group

The Official Higher History 2010-11 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Well, I've got my History prelim coming up and I feel like I'm drowning in it all. There is simply too much to learn. I feel that if I could do ok on the two 20 mark essays if I'm lucky but there are so many different topics that I'm supposed to revise. I've got to somehow revise and be able to write essays on any two of the following: British Democracy, The Women's Movement, Liberal Reforms and Labour Reforms, Early German Nationalism, German Unification and Germany Under Rule of the Nazi Party. If no good questions come up for me I'm going to lose 40% of my prelim BEFORE I've even started to lose marks on Paper 2 which is another problem altogether.

While we were supposed to be getting taught on Scotland and the Great War for Paper 2, my teacher was in hospital and we had a replacement who taught us material that was taken out of the exam 15 years ago! I don't know how to answer ANY of the source questions properly and there are so much recalled knowledge we are supposed to know (at least 10 points for each of the four main issues and at least ten for each of the four sub-issues that go with each issue).
My prelim is on Wednesday (9th Feb) and before that I've got English tomorrow (3rd Feb) , French the day after (4th Feb) and Chemistry on Monday (7th Feb) to revise for. I can't use past papers either as they've completely changed the format of the exam this year. WHAT DO I DO???
Original post by scotland369
Well, I've got my History prelim coming up and I feel like I'm drowning in it all. There is simply too much to learn. I feel that if I could do ok on the two 20 mark essays if I'm lucky but there are so many different topics that I'm supposed to revise. I've got to somehow revise and be able to write essays on any two of the following: British Democracy, The Women's Movement, Liberal Reforms and Labour Reforms, Early German Nationalism, German Unification and Germany Under Rule of the Nazi Party. If no good questions come up for me I'm going to lose 40% of my prelim BEFORE I've even started to lose marks on Paper 2 which is another problem altogether.

While we were supposed to be getting taught on Scotland and the Great War for Paper 2, my teacher was in hospital and we had a replacement who taught us material that was taken out of the exam 15 years ago! I don't know how to answer ANY of the source questions properly and there are so much recalled knowledge we are supposed to know (at least 10 points for each of the four main issues and at least ten for each of the four sub-issues that go with each issue).
My prelim is on Wednesday (9th Feb) and before that I've got English tomorrow (3rd Feb) , French the day after (4th Feb) and Chemistry on Monday (7th Feb) to revise for. I can't use past papers either as they've completely changed the format of the exam this year. WHAT DO I DO???

Not sure if this still stands, but usually there is a question about either the Labour of Liberal reforms. If you're struggling to revise it all, maybe focus your revision on those sections, and maybe another as a back up? I didn't do Germany, so I can't be of any help there. Out of interest, in what way have they changed the exam this year?

Also, if you're finding it difficult to revise essays, maybe try putting a question as a mind map? I.e. question in the middle, what paragraphs you'd have as sub-sections, with the info that would be in that paragraph around it. I found it became easier to understand if I did it this way, but it might not work for you.
To answer draconia_93's question: you do two 20-mark essays (as before I think) but the topics have changed eg lots of people including me do appeasement for the essays. The format of paper 2 has now changed - you do 2 contextualisation questions ("how far/fully" - 10 marks), an evaluation ("how useful" - 5 marks) and a comparison (5 marks). The topics for paper 2 are now all Scottish eg we do Scottish Wars of Independence 1286-1328.

To the OP: make essay plans with the key quotes, facts and arguments, use highlighters, write them out again, and just do whatever you can to learn them. I can't tell you how you learn best. I don't know what essays are best for Germany, but I really like the women essay as there is plenty to say and it's fairly easy to remember - I did it for my prelim, haven't got it back yet as I'm still on study leave.

As far as Scotland goes, try not to panic. Definitely learn some recall, but not as much as you have suggested - remember there will be marks which are for source interpretation or comparison and any one question needs no more than 7 points of recall, since you can get 4 marks in the 10-markers for source analysis.

Good luck and remember history is one of the hardest subjects and you will improve between now and the prelim; I'm going to be saying that inside my head when I get my mark back! :tongue:
Reply 23
I remember there were only 2 or 3 possible types of questions a subject - how effective were the liberal reforms, or what were the liberal reforms, that kind of thing. So just bullet point answers for the different types you can get, because there's not a lot of variation, every year the questions are just phrased a little different.
Plus, no need to learn all the topics, as far as I can remember you can miss out on at least 1 that you like the least, and maybe another one (can't remember...)

good luck :smile: bbc history site was quite good, I think.
Original post by conway!
I remember there were only 2 or 3 possible types of questions a subject - how effective were the liberal reforms, or what were the liberal reforms, that kind of thing. So just bullet point answers for the different types you can get, because there's not a lot of variation, every year the questions are just phrased a little different.

Yeah but they've changed the exam this year so we can't predict the essays:frown:
To the OP: make essay plans with the key quotes, facts and arguments, use highlighters, write them out again, and just do whatever you can to learn them. I can't tell you how you learn best. I don't know what essays are best for Germany, but I really like the women essay as there is plenty to say and it's fairly easy to remember - I did it for my prelim, haven't got it back yet as I'm still on study leave.

As far as Scotland goes, try not to panic. Definitely learn some recall, but not as much as you have suggested - remember there will be marks which are for source interpretation or comparison and any one question needs no more than 7 points of recall, since you can get 4 marks in the 10-markers for source analysis.

I told you I didn't know anything about Paper 2 but that's reassuring thanks!

YOU GET STUDY LEAVE:eek:
Reply 26
I did Britain and Germany last year :smile: I've got stuff on how to answer all the different sources questions - I really struggled with then until it came to the exam, so don't panic if you don't know how to go about answering them. Let me know if you want any more advice :smile:
I told you I didn't know anything about Paper 2 but that's reassuring thanks!

YOU GET STUDY LEAVE:eek:

You're welcome :smile:. And yeah, we get study leave while the exams are going on because it would be pointless having classes going on when classrooms are being used, teachers are invigilating and people are off doing 3-hour exams, plus it means we can concentrate on our next exam rather than all subjects at once. The only time I've studied for an exam that wasn't next was Latin because I'm doing it as a sixth and I hadn't learned half the stuff! But it went okay, so I'm happy :biggrin:

Good luck with History anyway, it's probably my worst so I'm just glad it's over. Chemistry tomorrow then I'm done! Yay :biggrin:
Original post by Rhi93
I did Britain and Germany last year :smile: I've got stuff on how to answer all the different sources questions - I really struggled with then until it came to the exam, so don't panic if you don't know how to go about answering them. Let me know if you want any more advice :smile:

I think the structures have changed a bit this year.

I might be able to get stuff for you on that OP if you want - I'm pretty sure they're online but they're password-protected, I'll have a look.

EDIT: I put some stuff on the main thread (bumping it from 3 weeks ago :tongue:) about paper 2, so have a look if you want. :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Hey everyone - I decided to upload the sheets we've been given as guidance for the paper 2 structures, since one or two people seemed confused. Some of the formatting may be a bit off as it's copy&pasted from Word, since the links have password protection for some reason, but it's not too bad. Enjoy!

How fully/far does Source X explain........... (10 marks)
You must offer a structured evaluation of the source as an adequate explanation of the question.

1. Provenance and context
Place source into context –look at date and contextualise
Make provenance comments (if a secondary source, provide historiographical context; if a primary source, establish slant/viewpoint/bias).

2. Elicit points from the source which show you have interpreted the significant view(s) (QUOTE AND EXPLAIN)
Break down the source into key themes –search for emotive language
Determine the main points of the source by annotation and use quoting and paraphrasing to cover them in your response.
Points from recall which support, develop and contextualise those in the source

3. Wider contextualisation and Historiography
With the question stringently in your mind, incorporate wider contextual recall that would focus on the bigger picture and debate
You are encouraged to bring a range of appropriate historians’ commentary to support the views you are purporting.
Provide names
Provide contentions

4. Conclusion
COME TO A CONCLUSION USING A RANGE OF EVIDENCE ABOUT THE EXTENT TO WHICH A CONSIDERATION OF THE SOURCE IS HELPFUL IN OFFERING A FULL EXPLANATION OF.......
Create a balanced perspective, placing the source into context and establishing the source’s:
a. Views and whether they should be justified.
b. Accuracy in relation to the issue specified.
c. Ability to illustrate its views in relation to the issue specified.
d. Ability to shed light on, or illuminate, a given issue.
e. Ability to adequately explain a given issue.

The ‘How fully / far ..........’ question
Degree to which the answer demonstrates the following criteria:
Source Interpretation up to 4 marks
Wider contextual development up to 7 marks
(Historical interpretations)
Success Criteria:
1. Accurate, wide-ranging, and convincing argument;
2. Shows a clear understanding of the differing views in the sources, a solid grasp of context and significance of materials
3. Well developed levels of analysis.

How useful is Source X as evidence of........... (5 marks)

Feature of marking Mark allocation
Evaluation of Provenance Up to 2 marks
Evaluation of Content Up to 2 marks
Evaluation of relevant Recall Up to 2 marks

Structure:

1. Up to 2 marks can be awarded for:
a) The quality of your evaluation of the provenance of the source (Who? When? Where? Why?)

Provenance is a form of contextualisation where you locate the source in history… why was it that person saying it?, why did it matter?, why then and in that way?, was it the same as previous or later views? It is answers to these sorts of questions which help locate the source and establish its usefulness.

2. Up to 2marks can be awarded for:
b) The ability to establish the significant views of the source and accurately support that evaluation with comment from the source.

3. Up to 2 marks will lastly be awarded for the quality and depth of the immediate and wider context recall, including historians’ views that you provide in your overall interpretation of the source’s value.
a. The immediate recall are points which support, develop and contextualise those in the source
b. Wider contextualisation of the view(s) in the source offers the ‘bigger picture’ where additional recall pertinent to the question and historiographical debate and/or counter-claims can be introduced and explained.

4. Conclusion: COME TO A CONCLUSION USING A RANGE OF EVIDENCE ABOUT THE EXTENT TO WHICH A CONSIDERATION OF THE SOURCE IS USEFUL.....

Source Comparison Question 5 marks

1. COMPARE AND CONTRAST EACH SOURCE OVERALL [2 marks]
Comment on the context in which BOTH sources were created/written.
Who wrote each source, when they were produced & reasons for differing opinions.
Are there any obvious reasons for differing perspectives?

2. CONTENT COMPARISON: [4 marks]
THE EXPLANATION OF CHOSEN CONTRASTS IS WHERE MARKS ARE GAINED
Look for obvious points of difference/agreement.
For any given comparison; complete the two following steps:
1. Quote a phrase from ‘A’ and briefly explain, then match it with a phrase from ‘B’ (with similar brief explanation) which mirrors or contradicts it.
2. Ensure there is a clear, fully developed and robust explanation of the comparison. (This is imperative)

Produce as many developed/explained contrasts as the time allows

3. CONCLUSION
Make reference to the question, giving a clear overview of the points of comparison.
Original post by derangedyoshi
To answer draconia_93's question: you do two 20-mark essays (as before I think) but the topics have changed eg lots of people including me do appeasement for the essays. The format of paper 2 has now changed - you do 2 contextualisation questions ("how far/fully" - 10 marks), an evaluation ("how useful" - 5 marks) and a comparison (5 marks). The topics for paper 2 are now all Scottish eg we do Scottish Wars of Independence 1286-1328.

Thanks for the info! And 10 mark questions!? That's nearly the size of Advanced Higher questions! :yikes: I don't envy you guys. I also don't know why they completely changed the source topic, Appeasement was such a good topic for sources, but not essays.

Yeah but they've changed the exam this year so we can't predict the essays:frown:

In what way have they changed the essay questions? If they're the same format as last year (i.e. two 20 mark essays) and with the same topics, then surely you would still be able to predict what questions turned up?

In what way have they changed the essay questions? If they're the same format as last year (i.e. two 20 mark essays) and with the same topics, then surely you would still be able to predict what questions turned up?

To be honest I'm not sure. My teacher is head of history at my school and she attended some conference and she was told that pupils were relying on predicting the exam by looking back at past papers. To discourage this they have apparently "refreshed" paper one questions so we know have to study every essay and hope for the best:s-smilie:
To be honest I'm not sure. My teacher is head of history at my school and she attended some conference and she was told that pupils were relying on predicting the exam by looking back at past papers. To discourage this they have apparently "refreshed" paper one questions so we know have to study every essay and hope for the best:s-smilie:

A quick google search hasn't come up with anything, so perhaps these changes haven't been brought about yet (or are just secret). I still think that the Labour and Liberal reforms are worth revising well, just in case. Since they make up a good part of the course, there's usually a good chance that something will turn up, even if it's not the easiest question in the paper. It seems odd that there would be so many changes made in one year though.
If you study 4 essays for each topic then you are guaranteed to have one and three gives you a strong chance. And you can still predict the basic questions - for British topic it's:

-Why was there a growth in democracy -> 1928?
-To what extent was Britain a democracy by (1900/1918/1928/some other date)?
-Why did women win the vote in 1918/1928?
-Why did the Liberals introduce social reforms 1906-1914?
-How successful were the Liberal reforms of 1906-1914?
-How successful were the Labour reforms of 1945-1951?

They all basically fall into one of those six categories, and there are three choices, so you certainly don't have to learn more than four.
Original post by derangedyoshi
If you study 4 essays for each topic then you are guaranteed to have one and three gives you a strong chance. And you can still predict the basic questions - for British topic it's:

-Why was there a growth in democracy -> 1928?
-To what extent was Britain a democracy by (1900/1918/1928/some other date)?
-Why did women win the vote in 1918/1928?
-Why did the Liberals introduce social reforms 1906-1914?
-How successful were the Liberal reforms of 1906-1914?
-How successful were the Labour reforms of 1945-1951?

They all basically fall into one of those six categories, and there are three choices, so you certainly don't have to learn more than four.

Ah, these were the ones I was referring to. If that makes up half of the questions you could be asked then there's almost certainty (but if they've changed it maybe not) that they'll turn up. The only difference now (I think) is that they've included woman suffrage, but it's otherwise the same as last year.
Original post by draconia_93
Ah, these were the ones I was referring to. If that makes up half of the questions you could be asked then there's almost certainty (but if they've changed it maybe not) that they'll turn up. The only difference now (I think) is that they've included woman suffrage, but it's otherwise the same as last year.

oh right. The woman's suffrage is actually really good - I did it for my prelim. I think the question was "'Although the Suffragettes gained more news headlines, the Suffragists actually did more towards gaining the vote for women.' How far do you agree with this statement?" or something like that. The others were on the extent of democracy by date x and the success of the Liberal reforms I think.
According to my history teacher there will be a question on what were the Liberal reforms, why did they happen, and the growth of democracy. And paper 2 is super easy, well from what we have been looking at and our nab. Hope it's the same for the final exam.
I would learn liberals I did for my prelim, because it is 6 points you have to learn and they are quite easy to remember, i would also learn the women's movement stuff because it si quite easy as well.
Reply 38
just had my Higher History prelim today ; ) so glad it's over now. well, at least for a while.
I know this thread is old,but could anyone help me? I have a timed essay and I'm struggling with the question ''What factors lead to the acts being passed(democracy)? I have foreign examples and pressure groups but I'm not sure how to structure this particular essay.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending