The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Yeah I think most people enjoy what they're best at. I don't like benching much because I suck at it.
Reply 1581
Agree with the like thing, I like deadlifting most, and OHP, because I can deadlift better than I can anything else. Don't know why I like OHP.
I love deadlifting but I don't know what it is - I always feel so sick afterwards sometimes.

Anyways, does anyone else struggle to press overhead when wearing weightlifting shoes?
I felt really sick after RDLs today. Got a 140 x 8 PB though so was worth it!
Reply 1584
I'm so **** at deadlifting, especially for heavy sets. So so ****. Last week I did 120x14, and then this week went for a heavy PB and couldn't get 150 off the floor WTF. I know it was a bad day cos I've performed better but still..christ almighty.

I wouldn't be surprised if I become one of those people that squats a weight that's not too far behind their DL (inb4 "ur squateing high!!1!" because I'm not.)
Just cos you can do 14 reps at 120 doesn't mean you should be able to do 150. Why are you doing 14 reps anyway?
Reply 1586
Deadlifting is only thing I am good at, and it always stays stable even when I stop lifting for ages while all my other lifts plummet.

Went to gym today, I feel reborn.
Reply 1587
Original post by Arturo Bandini
Just cos you can do 14 reps at 120 doesn't mean you should be able to do 150. Why are you doing 14 reps anyway?

Well I've done 120x14, 140x5 so it stands to reason I could have done 150 for something. But for some reason couldn't. I have done 150 for a couple in the past but for some reason at the min cannot.

And I did 120x14 just for the fun of it. Kind of like a 20rep squats kind of thing
Original post by Adidas90
I'm so **** at deadlifting, especially for heavy sets. So so ****. Last week I did 120x14, and then this week went for a heavy PB and couldn't get 150 off the floor WTF. I know it was a bad day cos I've performed better but still..christ almighty.

I wouldn't be surprised if I become one of those people that squats a weight that's not too far behind their DL (inb4 "ur squateing high!!1!" because I'm not.)

Were you bouncing the deadlifts?
Reply 1589
Original post by cowsforsale
Were you bouncing the deadlifts?

No, dead weight
I think a lot of people have this kind of misplaced sense of entitlement to a certain 1RM based on more reps at lower numbers. In general, the concept makes sense but it's not always that simple. I remember after pulling 240 for 3, it took about 3 or 4 months before I even managed to get 250 more than a couple of inches off the floor.

I'm not having a go at you adidas90 but it's something I notice from a lot of people.
Reply 1591
I think a lot of people have this kind of misplaced sense of entitlement to a certain 1RM based on more reps at lower numbers. In general, the concept makes sense but it's not always that simple. I remember after pulling 240 for 3, it took about 3 or 4 months before I even managed to get 250 more than a couple of inches off the floor.

I'm not having a go at you adidas90 but it's something I notice from a lot of people.

That's ok, I get that misplaced sense probably from on here. On here in particular, there are alot of people that always say DL 1RMs are a good 10-20kg on top of their triples and 5RMs, and according to their logs they achieve this. Maybe it's more an exception than a rule, or maybe it tends to work like that more with lighter weights (and hence why it didn't work for you) and I just need to man up and try again with more va va voom
Original post by Adidas90
That's ok, I get that misplaced sense probably from on here. On here in particular, there are alot of people that always say DL 1RMs are a good 10-20kg on top of their triples and 5RMs, and according to their logs they achieve this. Maybe it's more an exception than a rule, or maybe it tends to work like that more with lighter weights (and hence why it didn't work for you) and I just need to man up and try again with more va va voom

Well yeah, progress is obviously slower on heavy weights. And like I said, it is usually the case that you can lift more for one rep than you can for five. But I don't think people should be overly surprised if it doesn't work that way sometimes.
Reply 1593
Want to hear something phaggy? I'm squatting with a pussy pad at the minute. What makes it Alpha though is how I got the scratch that causes this phaggotry. :hubba:

No but seriously, it throws off my balance and everything! Didn't realise it would do that at all.
I think some of it also depends on when your technique goes down the ****ter. At least for the deadlift. I know I'd lift a lot more if I could get my technique at 90% to stay solid for the 100% pull. After a certain point in weight it's almost as if the max pull is just trying to lock the bar out by any means possible.
Original post by C-BRO
Want to hear something phaggy? I'm squatting with a pussy pad at the minute. What makes it Alpha though is how I got the scratch that causes this phaggotry. :hubba:

You were raping someone?
Reply 1596

Sorry, I just negged you by mistake. My screen froze and when it moved again I clicked neg. oops.
Reply 1597
btw, I wasn't saying there's no use for unilateral stuff. I don't really know enough about sports to give some hardcore opinion about it. But I'm just saying Boyle's arguments didn't really seem to make sense. If I remember correctly, his athletes were squatting like 260lbs. I think most smaller rugby guys should be squatting at least 160 to 180kg and the bigger guys should be squatting over 200kg before trying to add in all this weird stuff.

Fine, we're not talking about removing normal back squats and only doing 1-legged squats, I just didn't really buy Boyle's arguments. You can make an argument for almost anything, but his were poor ones in my opinion.
I don't get it. On Friday's I usually feel like I'm MUCH stronger even though had one day of rest. Yet on Monday's I feel much weaker even if 2 days rest.

Explain.
Original post by SMed
Sorry, I just negged you by mistake. My screen froze and when it moved again I clicked neg. oops.

Oh SMed :frown:

Latest