The Student Room Group

Journalism Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
Oh, I really need to ask this, as I'm slightly confused!

The Journalist Works Course at the Argus in Brighton, is that not the same course at the Multimedia Journalism Course at City College Brighton and Hove? Because I was thinking they were the same thing, but after more research it seems that maybe they are not? :s-smilie:

Can someone clarify this, please? Thanks :smile:

Sorry I've no idea :frown: I'd find it unlikely that the two courses would be the same, as a token opinion.

On another note, I love all of the new members! :biggrin:
I was considering do a Journalism degree, but changed my mind to English at the last minute. After reading this I'm kind of glad I did. It's reassuring people want experience over qualifications. I'm planning on getting as much experience as possible at Uni and applying to internships too. I really want to work in the fashion department of a magazine.
Original post by Don John
Sorry I've no idea :frown: I'd find it unlikely that the two courses would be the same, as a token opinion.

On another note, I love all of the new members! :biggrin:

OK, I do reckon they are two different courses, at two different centres :yep:. I've been invited to an interview and aptitude test for the Journalist Works Course next week, and if I have enough time on the day whilst I'm down there, I plan to later also visit the City College to talk to them about their course as well.
Reply 43
OK, I do reckon they are two different courses, at two different centres :yep:. I've been invited to an interview and aptitude test for the Journalist Works Course next week, and if I have enough time on the day whilst I'm down there, I plan to later also visit the City College to talk to them about their course as well.

Congratulations on the interview! Dress smart and talk technical :smile:
Reply 44
Original post by ellie-wellie
I was considering do a Journalism degree, but changed my mind to English at the last minute. After reading this I'm kind of glad I did. It's reassuring people want experience over qualifications. I'm planning on getting as much experience as possible at Uni and applying to internships too. I really want to work in the fashion department of a magazine.

Hi Ellie :smile:

Make sure you get involved with as much student media as possible. As a minimum, join the student newspaper. It's pretty easy to get promoted in student media, as people graduate and leave uni each year. Show maturity and a knack for finding eye-grabbing stories and you'll be loved.

Internships are pretty tough to get in journalism, do you have any family contacts in the industry? They're invaluable, and pretty much the only reason I gained my internship for this summer.

Jon
Hi Ellie :smile:

Make sure you get involved with as much student media as possible. As a minimum, join the student newspaper. It's pretty easy to get promoted in student media, as people graduate and leave uni each year. Show maturity and a knack for finding eye-grabbing stories and you'll be loved.

Internships are pretty tough to get in journalism, do you have any family contacts in the industry? They're invaluable, and pretty much the only reason I gained my internship for this summer.

Jon

How did you get on that student paper? It sounds like something admissions tutors would be interested in :colone:
Congratulations on the interview! Dress smart and talk technical :smile:

Thanks :smile:. I'm a bit worried because I really didn't do well in my A Levels :s-smilie:. Still, they've invited me down so it's worth a try :yep:

Would you say that journalism is a very academic profession?
Reply 47
Thanks :smile:. I'm a bit worried because I really didn't do well in my A Levels :s-smilie:. Still, they've invited me down so it's worth a try :yep:

Would you say that journalism is a very academic profession?

Journalism has a dichotomy of the degree to which people are educated. Gordon Brown did it with a PhD in history, yet Jeremy Clarkson doesn't have an O-level to his name.

Success is all about churning stories quickly, diligently, and clearly. Get insider comment straight from the source, and you're onto become a professional journalist.
Reply 48
Original post by KingofSpades
How did you get on that student paper? It sounds like something admissions tutors would be interested in :colone:

I joined the student newspaper after coming to uni, so admissions tutors wouldn't come into the equation.

If you apply, and show a good attitude to writing stories and getting insider comment from the source, you'll earn promotion.
Journalism has a dichotomy of the degree to which people are educated. Gordon Brown did it with a PhD in history, yet Jeremy Clarkson doesn't have an O-level to his name.

Success is all about churning stories quickly, diligently, and clearly. Get insider comment straight from the source, and you're onto become a professional journalist.

Ah, I didn't know that about Jeremy Clarkson, thanks. You're very helpful :top:. I like reading about how different journalists (especially famous ones) got into their career, as it gives you a nice helpful idea of what paths can be available :yep:
Reply 50
Ah, I didn't know that about Jeremy Clarkson, thanks. You're very helpful :top:. I like reading about how different journalists (especially famous ones) got into their career, as it gives you a nice helpful idea of what paths can be available :yep:

Haha, that's why I started this society - to help those thinking of a career in or around journalism.
Contacts are the most important thing. Once you're actually in the job you'll be trained the way they want you to produce content. Build a portfolio by all means but you won't really know how to produce very very high levels of output until you've stepped onto a newsfloor or production room.
Reply 52
Is this definitely a society? Also, the mega Journalism thread at the top has tons of advice also, might be worth reading through. It's inactive atm but useful.
Original post by Aky786UK
Is this definitely a society? Also, the mega Journalism thread at the top has tons of advice also, might be worth reading through. It's inactive atm but useful.

Yes, this is definitely a society :yep:. Feel free to join here if you like: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/group.php?groupid=1010

Also, I am very aware of the other mega thread, and have linked it to the society page for useful reference :smile:
Reply 54
I just got media clearance for Scottish Parliament today. 24/7 access all areas, even the MSPs' cafe/ bar! :biggrin:
Reply 55
I feel like getting the ball rolling here.

What's everyone's favourite publications?

Mine's The Times :smile: because it's impartial, and read by most civil servants/ politicians.
I just got feedback today that my NCTJ aptitude test for the Journalist Works course was unsuccessful, so I've not been accepted for the course :frown:. Great, just great :emo:
Reply 57
I just got feedback today that my NCTJ aptitude test for the Journalist Works course was unsuccessful, so I've not been accepted for the course :frown:. Great, just great :emo:

Ahh bugger, sorry to hear that. How is the Journalist Works course different, not heard of that tbh? Is it similiar to the NCTJ courses where you have an interview and an assessment?
Original post by Aky786UK
Ahh bugger, sorry to hear that. How is the Journalist Works course different, not heard of that tbh? Is it similiar to the NCTJ courses where you have an interview and an assessment?

Yeah, I had both of those, an interview and assessment. I thought I did decently well, but apparently they don't agree :erm:. Oh well, not much I can do but try other routes.

The Journalist Works course is the fastest NCTJ course in the country, at 10 weeks. It's done at Brighton's Argus newspaper offices. Tbh, my recent academic achievements aren't very strong, so maybe they thought I might not be able to cope? :dontknow:
Reply 59
Yeah, I had both of those, an interview and assessment. I thought I did decently well, but apparently they don't agree :erm:. Oh well, not much I can do but try other routes.

The Journalist Works course is the fastest NCTJ course in the country, at 10 weeks. It's done at Brighton's Argus newspaper offices. Tbh, my recent academic achievements aren't very strong, so maybe they thought I might not be able to cope? :dontknow:

Were you not given the reasons? Definitely would be an idea to ring them up and see if you can find out, it will definitely help you. I'm assuming they take all things into account but if you did well in your tests then it would be slightly harsh not to accept due to academic reasons. How much did you pay for it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending