The Student Room Group

Do I need degree for work in IT. As a software developer?

Hello guys. Is it possible to find a job as a software developer without degree? Only demonstrating skills an projects.
Reply 1
It's possible in the sense that it does happen. I found basic dev work before starting my degree, and there are some very well-known self-taught SWEs (did you know John Carmack dropped out after a year?)

I can't recommend relying on this route though, for a few reasons:

1) It's a tough job market right now, and even fresh CS graduates from top universities are struggling. Hard to say if things will be better or worse in a few years.
2) Unless you're a really exceptional autodidact, there's generally something of a gap between those with a formal CS background and those without. Some things (like programming) are easier to self-teach than others (maths), so self-taught devs can often program well but struggle when they encounter certain classes of problem.
3) If you love computers, there are far worse ways to spend your time than studying them for 3 years, and you're unlikely to regret doing so.
Reply 2
Original post by pmd_qwe
It's possible in the sense that it does happen. I found basic dev work before starting my degree, and there are some very well-known self-taught SWEs (did you know John Carmack dropped out after a year?)

I can't recommend relying on this route though, for a few reasons:

1) It's a tough job market right now, and even fresh CS graduates from top universities are struggling. Hard to say if things will be better or worse in a few years.
2) Unless you're a really exceptional autodidact, there's generally something of a gap between those with a formal CS background and those without. Some things (like programming) are easier to self-teach than others (maths), so self-taught devs can often program well but struggle when they encounter certain classes of problem.
3) If you love computers, there are far worse ways to spend your time than studying them for 3 years, and you're unlikely to regret doing so.

Thank You for your answer. If compare college and university. What do you think is better for skills?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending