The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I am so confused. Most retarded unit in my masters, ever.

And I have at least 12,000 words to write in 2 weeks. And then prepare to be an advocate in a planning inquiry. Me no likey.

(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Drogue
Can I suggest moving the main meet to being from 11am, since Athena needs to leave at 3pm? No worries if people want to come from 1pm instead, as we'll all be there for at least a couple more hours.

Works for me :smile:
Original post by Drogue
Can I suggest moving the main meet to being from 11am, since Athena needs to leave at 3pm? No worries if people want to come from 1pm instead, as we'll all be there for at least a couple more hours.

Great - as I need to fit in some reading either morning or afternoon, I'll stay till three at the latest. I have a Doppelganger party to go to in the evening!
Reply 1983
Original post by ice_cube
I am so confused. Most retarded unit in my masters, ever.

And I have at least 12,000 words to write in 2 weeks. And then prepare to be an advocate in a planning inquiry. Me no likey.

Ouch, that's quite harsh.:s-smilie: Does that time frame include preparation or have you at least got the necessary research sorted already so that you'll be able focus on somehow churning out two pages a day?
Nope, nothing. Its the first section of my dissertation, a draft of my regeneration lit review (for which we've been taught sweet FA) preparation for a planning inquiry, PhD proposal (if I decide I can fit that in and actually make a decision on it in the next few days), and preparation for a big presentation. Im basically very very ****ed. None of which I have any idea how to do.

And Ive just been rejected from another 6 jobs in 3 days without interview, taking my total for this year to about 40, and total for the last 12 months to about 70. I give up. Feel like a massive life failure.
Nope, nothing. Its the first section of my dissertation, a draft of my regeneration lit review (for which we've been taught sweet FA) preparation for a planning inquiry, PhD proposal (if I decide I can fit that in and actually make a decision on it in the next few days), and preparation for a big presentation. Im basically very very ****ed. None of which I have any idea how to do.

And Ive just been rejected from another 6 jobs in 3 days without interview, taking my total for this year to about 40, and total for the last 12 months to about 70. I give up. Feel like a massive life failure.

:confused:

How long is your masters dissertation? My entire dissertation is 15,000 words, and I have to submit a 500-word proposal in a few weeks time.

I just received a conditional offer from Newcastle for a PhD in English! :smile:
Original post by evantej
:confused:

How long is your masters dissertation? My entire dissertation is 15,000 words, and I have to submit a 500-word proposal in a few weeks time.

I just received a conditional offer from Newcastle for a PhD in English! :smile:

16-18000 I think. Have to submit the first 4000 (I think, this shows how behind I am I have no idea) for 2 weeks time. Had to submit the proposal in about November. So long ago Ive forgotten everything.
16-18000 I think. Have to submit the first 4000 (I think, this shows how behind I am I have no idea) for 2 weeks time. Had to submit the proposal in about November. So long ago Ive forgotten everything.

Things do tend to get on you around Christmas time. Try your best not to worry; pop to the Hawthornes and have yourself a nice hot chocolate and enjoy the sunshine for 30 minutes! Will put you in a better frame of mind about impending doom. :tongue:
Original post by evantej
Things do tend to get on you around Christmas time. Try your best not to worry; pop to the Hawthornes and have yourself a nice hot chocolate and enjoy the sunshine for 30 minutes! Will put you in a better frame of mind about impending doom. :tongue:

Im stuck on campus in lectures until 5, and then careers sessions until God knows when (where they tell us how hard it is to get employed). And Ive been here since 8.30. And because I won't finish until well after 6, will get stuck for an hour in rush hour traffic on the M32. FML

On the other hand, Im dressing up as one of the Supremes this evening :p:
(edited 13 years ago)
:facepalm: I have finally got around to reading one of the set texts for my MSc students' essay. Mr Hitchhiker's Guide has lifted about 50% of his essay from it verbatim.
My Oxford interview was really awful :frown: And I left an expensive food shop on the X5. I'm having such a crap week, but I won't bore everyone else with all the other reason's its crap.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1991
Original post by Bekaboo
:facepalm: I have finally got around to reading one of the set texts for my MSc students' essay. Mr Hitchhiker's Guide has lifted about 50% of his essay from it verbatim.

Surely you can fail him now?!

Original post by Craghyrax
My Oxford interview was really awful :frown:

Oh no, what happened?
Original post by Athena

Oh no, what happened?

I'll PM
Original post by Athena
Surely you can fail him now?!

Oh no, what happened?

I took it to the student administrator who told me he has to have lifted 30% verbatim without citing to be failed. Apparently the fact that he's put the book in his bibliography might be enough for him to still pass. :facepalm: The worst bit is I had to submit the marks by Friday, so he's already (scraped) a 2ii, and it's in the system and it's hassle to reverse so he'll probably get away with it. I have just sent a heavily annotated copy of his essay and the book to the head of teaching.
Seems like we're all having quite crap weeks.

Here's mine:

1) thesis :facepalm2:

2) I have a load of essays to mark, two of which I know I will have to automatically fail for plagiarism and/or lateness, so it's a total waste of my time bothering to read them and give feedback.

3) I also have a class to prepare for tomorrow and have literally NOTHING to say. I also know that, whatever I prepare, probably only half the class will show up because half of them are in trouble with me and the department and will probably just hide away in their rooms.

4) No money or hope about jobs

5) again, massive thesis woes :facepalm2:I wrote 2500 words yesterday, came back to it today and have been doing the writing equivalent of hacking through stale vomit with a rusty spoon.
Original post by evantej

Congratulations!

I've been meaning to ask, where aboots in Northumberland are you from? PM me if you want. I was born in Hexham although don't live there...live about 12 miles away (on the border)

Original post by Craghyrax
My Oxford interview was really awful :frown: And I left an expensive food shop on the X5. I'm having such a crap week, but I won't bore everyone else with all the other reason's its crap.

:frown: :hugs:

If you want to talk feel free to send me a PM. I won't be any real use but I can "listen". Offer is there :smile:

I hope things pick up for you all.
Thanks River :love:

You probably don't need me to tell you this, but it's the same for everyone. At least, that's the impression I've got from EVERYONE I have spoken to! Was it you who had that awesome work experience in DC, and posted updates in the Back Room, about 3/4 years ago? (when I used this site more)
Original post by Horrorshow
You probably don't need me to tell you this, but it's the same for everyone. At least, that's the impression I've got from EVERYONE I have spoken to! Was it you who had that awesome work experience in DC, and posted updates in the Back Room, about 3/4 years ago? (when I used this site more)

Yea, that was me. :o: And yes I know its the same for everyone... doesnt stop it being frustrating. tbf, most of my friends havent had this problem at all, almost everyone from home/that I graduated with was in a decent job within a few months. Which generally adds to my general feeling of failure!
Yea, that was me. :o: And yes I know its the same for everyone... doesnt stop it being frustrating. tbf, most of my friends havent had this problem at all, almost everyone from home/that I graduated with was in a decent job within a few months. Which generally adds to my general feeling of failure!

Forgive my ignorance, but what sort of jobs are you applying for? And are you hoping to start them after your Master's, or is your Master's part time?

I well know (and fear) the frustations and injustices of the job market at pretty much every level. It really does suck the confidence and energy out of you.

Latest

Trending

Trending