The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Original post by Drogue
Just in case anyone's interested, after reading yet another annoying and frankly fallacious Clegg/Cameron comment about fees and cuts and what they'll do, I wrote a note about it. I think it's public, but let me know if anyone has issues accessing it.

Interesting note though you lost me at the end with all the pro-Lib Demifail sycophancy but I think you neglect the most important bit of all which is that those with grey hair vote, young people don't; so preserving those expensive aspects of public spending which treat the elderly but diss the young are to be expected I think particularly from two parties so beholden to the market. It's only likely to get worse with a reshuffle planned for the new year when David Laws comes back into the Cabinet.

I quite like what the Welsh government have decided to do. :biggrin:
(edited 13 years ago)
I think your friend commenting at the bottom made a very good point about misinformation, as actually increasing the repayment threshold to £21k will make a big difference to a lot of people (it would make a difference to me, for example, I'd still be paying right now, but I'd be paying less). As Shiny says, it's just another form of tax that comes straight out of your pay packet, so I barely notice it most of the time.

But I think his comment about NUS campaigns, the media and the Labour party is a good one, and one that isn't made often enough.
Reply 382
Can anyone get Evidence and controversies on the role of XMRV in prostate cancer and chronic fatigue syndrome Luis Menéndez-Arias
Rev Med Virol. 2010 Nov 26. PMID: 21113915 ?

for me? My department isn't subscribed...
Reply 383
Original post by Athena
Can anyone get Evidence and controversies on the role of XMRV in prostate cancer and chronic fatigue syndrome Luis Menéndez-Arias

I appear to have access through the interuniversity medical library, but it's nowhere near my university (or my home). I can have a look next time I'm down that way though if noone else has it... (and I hope it works... I've never used their databases before).
University closed owing to whiteness of ground, sky.
Anybody speak Japanese? :p:

Struggling to access this article which our ejournal database claims to have but I get redirected to some Japanese site and the url they gave me seems broken.

Wilson, Bryan R. Aspects of Secularization in the West. Japanese Journal of Religious Studies. 1976. 3, pp. 259-276

And apparently: http://www.nanzanu.ac.jp/SHUBUNKEN/publications/jjrs/pdf/46.pdf
Reply 386
Original post by Craghyrax

Struggling to access this article which our ejournal database claims to have but I get redirected to some Japanese site and the url they gave me seems broken.

Wilson, Bryan R. Aspects of Secularization in the West. Japanese Journal of Religious Studies. 1976. 3, pp. 259-276

This bottom url is wrong. I googled the university and it should be nanzan-u.ac.jp. They've moved their website around and so the real link is here:

http://nirc.nanzan-u.ac.jp/publications/jjrs/pdf/46.pdf
Original post by Adorno
This bottom url is wrong. I googled the university and it should be nanzan-u.ac.jp. They've moved their website around and so the real link is here:

http://nirc.nanzan-u.ac.jp/publications/jjrs/pdf/46.pdf

Thanks very much :love: My google competence was lacking :p: Got it now!
Reply 388
Original post by Athena

Got it. PM me your email ... I'm sure I've got it, but I've forgotten!
Reply 389
Thanks very much :love: My google competence was lacking :p: Got it now!

Hehe. The best stuff is in open-access journals.
Reply 390
Original post by Little Jules
I think your friend commenting at the bottom made a very good point about misinformation, as actually increasing the repayment threshold to £21k will make a big difference to a lot of people (it would make a difference to me, for example, I'd still be paying right now, but I'd be paying less). As Shiny says, it's just another form of tax that comes straight out of your pay packet, so I barely notice it most of the time.

But I think his comment about NUS campaigns, the media and the Labour party is a good one, and one that isn't made often enough.

But paying that extra tax for life, while you wouldn't notice it as debt, makes you quite a chunk poorer. Most grads can expect a decade or two of repayments currently, but that'll hit 40 years when this goes. And even with that, funding will drop significantly. That's my main issue and what I was trying to push with the article - this hits university funding and will lead to a reduction in the quality of British universities. I can cope with paying for quality a lot easier than I can paying more for less. Add the intergenerational equity point and the perverse incentives and it's clear why I think this is a terrible idea; plus the political issue for the Lib Dems especially of both missing the point protesters are making and doing a complete u turn on the promise you made.
Original post by Drogue
But paying that extra tax for life, while you wouldn't notice it as debt, makes you quite a chunk poorer. Most grads can expect a decade or two of repayments currently, but that'll hit 40 years when this goes. And even with that, funding will drop significantly. That's my main issue and what I was trying to push with the article - this hits university funding and will lead to a reduction in the quality of British universities. I can cope with paying for quality a lot easier than I can paying more for less. Add the intergenerational equity point and the perverse incentives and it's clear why I think this is a terrible idea; plus the political issue for the Lib Dems especially of both missing the point protesters are making and doing a complete u turn on the promise you made.

No, current liability is 25 years, this will change to 30 (on BIS website)

I equally disagree with the cuts to funding. However, this dos also help part-time students, as well as ensuring that no one is paying anything back until they're earning over £21k which is better than now.
Reply 392
Original post by Little Jules
No, current liability is 25 years, this will change to 30 (on BIS website)

I equally disagree with the cuts to funding. However, this dos also help part-time students, as well as ensuring that no one is paying anything back until they're earning over £21k which is better than now.

Opps, 25 years max (I think it's student loans that go until you retire). I can see the point about helping part-time students, which is positive, but is not that necessary. I say this as a part-time student, as having a full-time job means even if my employer wasn't paying my fees, I could very easily do it. Now I'm not in the most normal position here, I realise that, so I do support extra help, but even taking a minimum wage full-time job pays for a student lifestyle quite easily, with fees being able (as I understand) to be paid in the same was as for undergrads, ie. after graduation.

On that note, I'm also keen not to disincentivise being a full-time student too much, as I think university is a great time to immerse yourself in study, societies or other things and work out what you want to do. Without having had that time at uni to explore different things, I'd almost certainly now be a pretty unhappy trader working for some investment bank. That was what I was interested in before I went to uni and what I expected to go into, yet having had the time to look into economics and extra-curricular stuff I realised I was more interested in using the behavioural aspect of economics in policy or the public sector, rather than just to make money putting numbers in different places.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Drogue
Opps, 25 years max (I think it's student loans that go until you retire). I can see the point about helping part-time students, which is positive, but is not that necessary. I say this as a part-time student, as having a full-time job means even if my employer wasn't paying my fees, I could very easily do it. Now I'm not in the most normal position here, I realise that, so I do support extra help, but even taking a minimum wage full-time job pays for a student lifestyle quite easily, with fees being able (as I understand) to be paid in the same was as for undergrads, ie. after graduation.

On that note, I'm also keen not to disincentivise being a full-time student too much, as I think university is a great time to immerse yourself in study, societies or other things and work out what you want to do. Without having had that time at uni to explore different things, I'd almost certainly now be a pretty unhappy trader working for some investment bank. That was what I was interested in before I went to uni and what I expected to go into, yet having had the time to look into economics and extra-curricular stuff I realised I was more interested in using the behavioural aspect of economics in policy or the public sector, rather than just to make money putting numbers in different places.

I think helping part-time students is necessary. There are a lot of part time students who are parents or carers and those studying later on in life. Lots of those people aren't working full time or come from disadvantaged backgrounds and it's wrong that they shouldn't be given the same support.

I don't think that this is disincentivising full-time study. It's just trying to help those who study part time.
Original post by Drogue

I totally agree. The stupid thing about it is that R&D is an important industry, and now that our Universities, including Oxbridge, won't have the same funding and resources they've had, we will be massively crippled on the international market and lose loads of revenue that way, which then sets off a negative downward spiral in terms of getting Universities to generate their own resources.

Its utterly retarded. I take small comfort in the fact that its so chronically stupid that it may well blow up in their faces in the near future, sparking an about turn.
Reply 395
I totally agree. The stupid thing about it is that R&D is an important industry, and now that our Universities, including Oxbridge, won't have the same funding and resources they've had, we will be massively crippled on the international market and lose loads of revenue that way, which then sets off a negative downward spiral in terms of getting Universities to generate their own resources.

Its utterly retarded. I take small comfort in the fact that its so chronically stupid that it may well blow up in their faces in the near future, sparking an about turn.

Sadly Oxbridge having the endowment to survive for a bit at the same level and the length of time it takes for investment cuts to hit, it may blow up in the faces of the next government :frown:

Though the one positive is we may find a lot more students voting at the next election, and thus being taken more seriously as a political group.
Reply 396
Original post by Drogue
Though the one positive is we may find a lot more students voting at the next election, and thus being taken more seriously as a political group.

Let's face it though, they weren't taken seriously because they voted Lib Dem which was a nothing protest. Voting Green, by contrast, or nationalist is far more obvious as a protest. I wouldn't be so sure as to how great the long-term impact is going to be though.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-11892634 - joy. Awaiting the white paper though as that's when all the info comes out about grads going back to uni/impact on NHS funding too.

*crosses paws for my last choice*
Reply 398

I have downloaded this article for you if you still need it. Just personal message me your email address; ideally we should use the GOGSoc group to post our email addresses so it makes transferring resources easier and quicker. Perhaps this is something ChemistBoy or PQ can look into.

On a slightly sad note, someone gave me some more rep so I finally have two green squares! :biggrin:

Edit: just noticed the above comment! >_<
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 399

In fairness, science funding is not going to be as badly hit as first feared and a bit of pinching back might stimulate more innovation. Whilst the UK is excellent at basic science, our track record when it comes to converting that fundamental knowledge into commercial products and services is pretty awful. Many of the problems or limitations in UK science R&D are more cultural and structural than to do with funding.
(edited 13 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending