The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Adorno
True, but I imagine you're probably either a liberal anglican or a nonconformist [remembers the Elizabeth Fry discussion ... thus Quaker?]? Said to an Anglo-Catholic or a conservative Catholic and such things are likely to get your head bitten off (he says with experience!). When it comes to religion, I ask myself the simple question: does a supreme being sound plausible? To which my answer has been always: no. Other people think differently? Fair enough.

Yeh I haven't gotten on too well with Catholics and more traditional Anglicans, but there are many more open minded Catholics and Anglicans about :smile: People always remember the worst-case examples and easily extrapolate that to a group. Although we get off lightly: you don't want to be a Muslim in Europe :frown:

I was absolutely sickened yesterday staying at my boyfriend's Grandparents' house. They listen to the local radio constantly (I hate radio anyway) and this guy was going on chirpily about how impressive and commendable it was that some moronic woman had set up a facebook campaign to object to a march some Muslims were going to do in her town :angry: The facebook group grew to 1 million in less than a week, the march was called off, and they were going on about how great this was :motz:

People can be so petty and stupid. (sorry I'm rambling and this is off topic)
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 781
ok, i'm pretty sure the left side of my body has died.
Original post by shiny
ok, i'm pretty sure the left side of my body has died.

But clearly the right side of it is sufficiently functional to propel you to a computer and enable you to type a post.
Reply 783
Original post by Adorno
She is massively sidelined because she "grew up" and no longer believed in Aslan and Narnia anymore... in that sense she was excluded. Although, of course, as evangelical christians everywhere will try to insist: everyone can be saved if they believe. Yes brothers and sisters, you gotta believe! Believe! Hallelujah!

Bleurgh.

Andrew Rilstone wrote an interesting response to the 'Susan problem' which should clear up that issue. In a obvious sense, the suggestion that she was excluded is just silly: she was not on the train in The Last Battle so she could not die, thus go to heaven. The others asked her to join them; she declined so it cannot be exclusion in the most basic sense of the word/concept.

It is a complete non-issue for me to be honest.
Reply 784
Original post by Little Jules
[...] Claim to fame: I know Anna Popplewell, who plays Susan in the films. She went to my secondary school, although I didn't really know her there. I worked with her on some Oxford plays. My mum knows her parents & sister well now. [...]

Oooh, nice. She looked really pretty in the new movie! :tongue:
Original post by evantej
Oooh, nice. She looked really pretty in the new movie! :tongue:

I think she looked exactly the same in this one as she did in the last two. Pretty, yes. Not prettier than before though.

My boyfriend and I keep arguing about Edmund and Lucy. I thought both of them, especially Lucy, were absolutely gorgeous and adorable in The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe. Boyfriend, however, insists that both looked 'weird, alien and disproportional' and likened Lucy to a chipmunk :confused:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 786
Original post by the_alba
My boyfriend slipped on some ice a few years back and hurt himself. I wanted him to go to the doctor (he seemed in a bad way), but instead he went swimming (:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:). Then he had to give a poetry reading, which he insisted on giving, even though by that point he had his arm in a sling (against his will, though he was yelping in pain before the sling arrived). When I finally dragged him to A&E, they informed him he'd broken his arm and hand. Again: :rolleyes:
I have to admit I've done this before, despite me usually being very willing to go to A&E/the doctor's (frankly I'm usually a bit of a hypochondriac). I went over the front of my bike at a very slow speed and put my hand down to stop me, and so thought I'd just jarred it. Since I was biking to a party that I really didn't want to miss and was just outside my house, I sat down for a few minutes then got my mum to take me. I'm guessing due to alcohol I didn't really think anything was wrong for the evening, though by the morning I realised something was wrong and my then girlfriend insisted on taking me to A&E, which turned out I'd got a hairline fracture in my elbow (not the end of the world, but worse than I thought).

I guess the bit that's different, and a bit cringeworthy, is that I realised it might be a bit more damaged later in the night when we tried to have sex and I had to give up because it was just too painful (remember I'm a 19 year old guy here, so that meant something was really wrong!).
Reply 787
Original post by Craghyrax
I think she looked exactly the same in this one as she did in the last two. Pretty, yes. Not prettier than before though.

My boyfriend and I keep arguing about Edmund and Lucy. I thought both of them, especially Lucy, were absolutely gorgeous and adorable in The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe. Boyfriend, however, insists that both looked 'weird, alien and disproportional' and likened Lucy to a chipmunk :confused:

How odd. I thought Susan looked really plain in the previous two movies, which is odd considering how beautiful she is supposed to be in the books (i.e. it is mentioned that all the princes over the world want to marry her in The Horse and His Boy), though obviously taking into account she was an adult by then (even the adult Susan in The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe was average), and was now really rather attractive. Perhaps the lipstick did it for me!

Lucy, on the other hand, was adorable in the first two movies, but she is coming along nicely as she matures! Can I say that without sounding like a pervert? :tongue:

I personally thought the person who played Eustace looked like a chipmunk, and was probably too attractive for the character; I always imagined him being ugly. Edmund and Peter were spot on to be honest.
Reply 788
Original post by Drogue
[...] I guess the bit that's different, and a bit cringeworthy, is that I realised it might be a bit more damaged later in the night when we tried to have sex and I had to give up because it was just too painful (remember I'm a 19 year old guy here, so that meant something was really wrong!).

Haha. Oh my. You deserve rep for being so honest! :biggrin:
Original post by evantej
How odd. I thought Susan looked really plain in the previous two movies, which is odd considering how beautiful she is supposed to be in the books (i.e. it is mentioned that all the princes over the world want to marry her in The Horse and His Boy), though obviously taking into account she was an adult by then (even the adult Susan in The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe was average), and was now really rather attractive. Perhaps the lipstick did it for me!
I've always thought she was pretty in a very English rose + intelligent brunette kind of way. You're right that its not the sort of look that the books imply, though.
evantej

I personally thought the person who played Eustace looked like a chipmunk, and was probably too attractive for the character; I always imagined him being ugly. Edmund and Peter were spot on to be honest.

I thought Lucy, Edmund and Peter were spot on. I also thought Eustace was spot on, although they've potentially made him too ugly for any of us to engage with him when/if they make The Silver Chair. Susan needed to be blonde ('fair') because she was described as such in the books.
(edited 13 years ago)
By the way, it really annoyed me how Eustace's Mum at the end of the film shouted up to him that his friend Jill Pole had come to visit! They weren't friends yet! They've just mucked up the whole start to The Silver Chair :hmpf:
Reply 791
Original post by evantej

Lucy, on the other hand, was adorable in the first two movies, but she is coming along nicely as she matures! Can I say that without sounding like a pervert? :tongue:

You can, it's like Hermione midway through the Harry Potter series.

And Anna Popplewell has been spectacular before and during the Narnia series :love:
Again I disagree. Sure any male is going to be more turned on by a 16 year old than a 12 year old or whatever she was at the time, but she was really pretty as a child.
Well I haven't seen the films, but I can vouch for the fact that she's a lovely person. Lots of the actors I've worked with (I do technical stuff) think they are stars, even when they are performing in a 50-seat student theatre, but she was always lovely and very helpful. I never think she's that stunning, but she did look good at the recent premier.
Reply 794
HELLO I AM DRUNK.
I also had a snowball fight.
Reply 795
Original post by evantej
Andrew Rilstone wrote an interesting response to the 'Susan problem' which should clear up that issue. In a obvious sense, the suggestion that she was excluded is just silly: she was not on the train in The Last Battle so she could not die, thus go to heaven. The others asked her to join them; she declined so it cannot be exclusion in the most basic sense of the word/concept.

It is a complete non-issue for me to be honest.

With one eye to the time and with the other on the fact I'm debating this essential point with an English major but Lewis 'made' her decline the offer for a reason. :p:

-----------------------------------------------------------
Just watch Dead Poets Society (my favourite film of all time) again and suddenly ten years' worth of hidden emotion smack me in the face. Why now and not on the anniversary?
(edited 13 years ago)
Adorno
Just watch Dead Poets Society (my favourite film of all time) again and suddenly ten years' worth of hidden emotion smack me in the face. Why now and not on the anniversary?
I've not seen it yet.
Reply 797
Oh. It's directed by Peter Weir who made Gallipoli amongst other things and is incredibly moving. The central message, for me, is really powerful because it shows how the humanities drive us to make something of ourself and not the traditional professional subjects of medicine, the law, or banking. It's poetry that fires the belly, history that guides the soul, and philosophy that shines a light in the mind.
If I can remember, I'll give it a watch.
Reply 799
Original post by Adorno
With one eye to the time and with the other on the fact I'm debating this essential point with an English major but Lewis 'made' her decline the offer for a reason. :p: [...]

Of course, but to suggest that Susan was excluded from heaven because she became an atheist or sexually mature is just a biased and crude reading of the Narniad! :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending