The Student Room Group

The Easy Guide to University Responses - Maths Degrees - 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
I've had AAB from Leeds and 300 pts with a B in Maths from Plymouth
Reply 61
Original post by Chriseyy
Ahhh tommy, none of my university choices are on here yet!

Ahh I know Chrisey! Its because you've applied to lots of London Unis and they seem to take longer than the other ones. I havent got an offer yet either so dont worry!

Original post by alexs2602
That sounds about right, maybe those who get predicted AAA+ get AAB and the rest get AAC/ABB, I dunno. Who knows I might get the offer I want to get(ABB/AAC) from Nottingham. I can't get my predictions put up even though I know I'm capable of AAB (or even as high as A*AA) :frown:

That seems so ridiculous, why would they give higher offers to stronger students? Very Strange... Keep us updated if and when you get an offer :smile:
Reply 62
Original post by Ash Cool 1
I've had AAB from Leeds and 300 pts with a B in Maths from Plymouth

And thanks a lot
Original post by tom29whu
That seems so ridiculous, why would they give higher offers to stronger students? Very Strange... Keep us updated if and when you get an offer :smile:

I don't know, to me it makes a bit of sense but then again the main objective of offers one would think is to get a body of students of a certain ability so it wouldnt matter who got which offer.

I will; nail-biting stuff. UCAS is going to be the end of me, I swear. I spent a lot of time making my application as good as I possibly can but there are certain factors that may let me down such as one prediction and previous results and if that stops me from getting offers I will not be at all happy.
Reply 64
I don't know, to me it makes a bit of sense but then again the main objective of offers one would think is to get a body of students of a certain ability so it wouldnt matter who got which offer.

I will; nail-biting stuff. UCAS is going to be the end of me, I swear. I spent a lot of time making my application as good as I possibly can but there are certain factors that may let me down such as one prediction and previous results and if that stops me from getting offers I will not be at all happy.

i assume youre predicted ABB from one of your previous posts? With an a in maths, that right??
Reply 65
People are getting A*AA offers from UCL. I got an (A*)A*AA offer from Imperial (i.e. the standard offer plus A on my fourth subject) but without STEP :biggrin:
Reply 66
Original post by bzzz
People are getting A*AA offers from UCL. I got an (A*)A*AA offer from Imperial (i.e. the standard offer plus A on my fourth subject) but without STEP :biggrin:

congrats on both of your offers... And that imperial offer is interesting. If i had known that i may have applied there. I was told the offer would be A*AAA with step too so i didnt bother considering them. To be honest i prob wont get that anyway lol.
Ty for the info, updatte us if you get any more offers
Reply 67
congrats on both of your offers... And that imperial offer is interesting. If i had known that i may have applied there. I was told the offer would be A*AAA with step too so i didnt bother considering them. To be honest i prob wont get that anyway lol.
Ty for the info, updatte us if you get any more offers

Thanks :smile: Who told you that the offer would include STEP, though? As far as I know, the official line has been that the standard offer would be A*A*A without STEP, but now for some reason they're requiring STEP in individual offers and fairly randomly. :confused:

edit: I see that you've updated the list for Imperial but not UCL :tongue:
(edited 13 years ago)
i assume youre predicted ABB from one of your previous posts? With an a in maths, that right??

A in maths, B in self studied Further Maths, B in Economics. However on my reference my referee mentioned I could get A in all of those subjects, which while it could be helpful, is hugely contradicting.
Reply 69
Original post by bzzz
Thanks :smile: Who told you that the offer would include STEP, though? As far as I know, the official line has been that the standard offer would be A*A*A without STEP, but now for some reason they're requiring STEP in individual offers and fairly randomly. :confused:

Yeah this is about right. I doubt very much the decision is random, it could be linked to many things that aren't apparent from just looking at grades. For example, they could be looking at UMS scores in more difficult modules, references, personal statement, whether the third and/or fourth subject is/are quantitive subject etc...

But yeah, they are specifying slightly differently or so it seems. I'm not clever enough to apply there, so I wouldn't know for sure... ** Pauses for pity ** :tongue:

Original post by bzzz
I see that you've updated the list for Imperial but not UCL :tongue:

Tis True. I was trying to update on my phone, and since the text entry is so large now, it takes ages to write anything, and I had a lesson in college so had to stop half way through.

Will update now, just for you :biggrin:
A in maths, B in self studied Further Maths, B in Economics. However on my reference my referee mentioned I could get A in all of those subjects, which while it could be helpful, is hugely contradicting.

Yeah that is rather contradictory... Is your referee your form tutor then and not one of your subject tutors?
x
Was my AS econ teacher. My teachers write references and my referee amalgamates them essentially
Reply 71
Was my AS econ teacher. My teachers write references and my referee amalgamates them essentially

Ah right, same sort of thing as my college then. Yeah, colleges are always too scared to predict 'highly' incase they overpredict.

Could be worse, my girlfriend wants to do a history degree. The history department where she is says that they always predict a grade lower than what they think the student can/will get. So she's stuck with a B prediction in history, even though her teacher thinks she can/will get an A.

I don't understand it to be honest...
Ah right, same sort of thing as my college then. Yeah, colleges are always too scared to predict 'highly' incase they overpredict.

Could be worse, my girlfriend wants to do a history degree. The history department where she is says that they always predict a grade lower than what they think the student can/will get. So she's stuck with a B prediction in history, even though her teacher thinks she can/will get an A.

I don't understand it to be honest...

I can kinda understand why I got my further maths prediction but I'm peeved about it because my fave 2 ask for AAB generally and without it I think an offer will be hard, plus I know I can achieve AAB.

Your girlfriend is unlucky, has her app been sent off?
Reply 73
I can kinda understand why I got my further maths prediction but I'm peeved about it because my fave 2 ask for AAB generally and without it I think an offer will be hard, plus I know I can achieve AAB.

Your girlfriend is unlucky, has her app been sent off?

yeah, i understand. I was predicted a b in fm too although i understand that cos i missed out by a mark or two last year and i know a2 fm is harder.

And yeah she has. She had so much trouble. Her school basically told her she couldnt apply to the unis she wanted to go to, even though they were around her predictions. I told her to keep them and she got an offer the other day from one that the school said she should take off. Which made me happy cos i hate her school with a passion lol. Bunch of self righteous to***rs her school teachers are lol
yeah, i understand. I was predicted a b in fm too although i understand that cos i missed out by a mark or two last year and i know a2 fm is harder.

And yeah she has. She had so much trouble. Her school basically told her she couldnt apply to the unis she wanted to go to, even though they were around her predictions. I told her to keep them and she got an offer the other day from one that the school said she should take off. Which made me happy cos i hate her school with a passion lol. Bunch of self righteous to***rs her school teachers are lol

A mark or two from a B or an A? I have a lot of maths exams this year but I only need to make up for 3 marks on top of my 80UMS minimum target per unit to get an A in Further Maths. That's not 3 marks per unit btw, that's 3 marks altogether. If anything it'll be harder for me to get an A in maths since i need 86.33UMS each unit(It's complicated otherwise I'd resit). I've chosen some good(see: easy) units for fm. What board are you on?

Nice, is it one of the unis she had her eye on? I can sympathise frankly, my college is abysmal. Severe management problems, poor teachers, just poor everything all round really. My college tries to help but fails miserably imo.
Reply 75

Tis True. I was trying to update on my phone, and since the text entry is so large now, it takes ages to write anything, and I had a lesson in college so had to stop half way through.

Will update now, just for you :biggrin:

lol sorry, just thought you'd forgotten or something :tongue:
Reply 76
A mark or two from a B or an A? I have a lot of maths exams this year but I only need to make up for 3 marks on top of my 80UMS minimum target per unit to get an A in Further Maths. That's not 3 marks per unit btw, that's 3 marks altogether. If anything it'll be harder for me to get an A in maths since i need 86.33UMS each unit(It's complicated otherwise I'd resit). I've chosen some good(see: easy) units for fm. What board are you on?

Nice, is it one of the unis she had her eye on? I can sympathise frankly, my college is abysmal. Severe management problems, poor teachers, just poor everything all round really. My college tries to help but fails miserably imo.

yeah thats exactly the same as me, imm a couple of ums under an a in fm. Luckily im already averaging about 85 in maths so i should get an a in that.

And her sxhool is one of the best in the country, and the best in essex... Apparently. I think thats why all her teachers are so self righteous and up their own arses lol

on aqa doing s2 and the the three fp units. What are you doing? I guess youre lucky is some ways cis you can choose your own units...
yeah thats exactly the same as me, imm a couple of ums under an a in fm. Luckily im already averaging about 85 in maths so i should get an a in that.

And her sxhool is one of the best in the country, and the best in essex... Apparently. I think thats why all her teachers are so self righteous and up their own arses lol

on aqa doing s2 and the the three fp units. What are you doing? I guess youre lucky is some ways cis you can choose your own units...

Yeah, I don't understand it, you should get an A in FM if that's all you need to get. I've made some bad decisions so I'll be sitting 8 units of maths this year but strangely I feel unworried. I'm doing S1, S2, M1, C3 in January. C4, M2, FP3, D2 in June. So we're clear I'm resitting none of my FM units, it's just very complicated.

Lol, where does she go? My old college was in Essex and it was truly excellent though I didnt make the most of my time there.

Damn, alot of FP units but S2 is good, I enjoyed that.
M- C1-4, D1, S2
FM- FP1, S1, M1-2, D2, FP3
Reply 78
Yeah, I don't understand it, you should get an A in FM if that's all you need to get. I've made some bad decisions so I'll be sitting 8 units of maths this year but strangely I feel unworried. I'm doing S1, S2, M1, C3 in January. C4, M2, FP3, D2 in June. So we're clear I'm resitting none of my FM units, it's just very complicated.

Lol, where does she go? My old college was in Essex and it was truly excellent though I didnt make the most of my time there.

Damn, alot of FP units but S2 is good, I enjoyed that.
M- C1-4, D1, S2
FM- FP1, S1, M1-2, D2, FP3

wow good luck with all that haha.
Im not gonna name and shame but its a school with a sixth form and the school is supposed to be the best in essex.

Yeah but i prefer the pure modules so that suits me. I find s2 extremely boring but not too difficult so i dont mind that.

My exams are C2 and S1 resit, and C3 C4 and S2 in jan, and then fp2-4 in summer. So ive got 8 too, but cant complain cos should have got A's firsst time round in C2 and S1!
Reply 79
Got an offer from QMUL today, 320 pts from 3 a levels with B in Maths :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest