The Student Room Group

Got an interview at Greggs! What's it like to work there?

I got an interview at Greggs (yay :biggrin:) what's it like to work there? If anyone has/had a job I'd be really grateful for interview tips and what your working experience was like. Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
:coma: I think I'd eat into my wages if I worked there.

Irrelevent to the questions you're asking, but I thought I'd say so anyway!
Reply 2
Enjoy.
I believe all you have to do to work at Greggs is learn to give dirty looks to anyone who tries to pay with £10 or £20 note.
Reply 4
Original post by Louise_x

Half price discount :sexface:

OP, I worked in Greggs and it was pretty fun. Not all shops are as good as others; obviously it depends on the staff there, the manager, the customers, how busy the shop is etc, so all I can say is my own experience.

It's quite fast paced, even in a quiet(er) shop like mine was. There are a variety of jobs you can do; working on the shop floor (so, cleaning, putting out stock, serving customers etc), doing bake off (putting stuff in the oven and taking it out for those out of the loop :p:), making sandwiches (out the back, have to do lots of cleaning in that role too :P). My shop was quite small, only 3 or 4 staff on at a time, so most people did a bit of everything. On the other hand, in a very busy shop, you might only be serving customers, or doing bake off, for example, rather than juggling both roles like in my shop. You'll most likely have to do opens and closes as well so this involves yet more cleaning :P and setting up the shop etc.

I was mainly on sandwiches in my shop, which was tough as I had to be very fast while still making them look nice (I'm one of the best they've had though apparently :h:). Could be a bit boring at times but the staff were really nice so there's always someone to chat to. The one annoying thing was the 7am start (though that will again depend on your shop and the opening times, and what role you have) :sigh:

There's probably more I could say but I'll leave it there and you can ask any questions :smile:

Edit:

Original post by TheGrandmaster
I believe all you have to do to work at Greggs is learn to give dirty looks to anyone who tries to pay with £10 or £20 note.

Yes this is annoying :hmmm: There's probably loads of other annoying things too but no workplace is perfect :P

P.S. wage is pretty good too, I was on £6.32 an hour which is more than a lot of my friends seemed to be.

Edit2: ffs what did I do wrong now? At least leave an explanation :frown: I would like to know what's wrong with my post, eg is there something factually wrong? Or just cos I worked at Greggs? :P

Edit3: :rofl: this turned into an interesting rep experiment I think...
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by ily_em

OP, I worked in Greggs and it was pretty fun. Not all shops are as good as others; obviously it depends on the staff there, the manager, the customers, how busy the shop is etc, so all I can say is my own experience.

It's quite fast paced, even in a quiet(er) shop like mine was. There are a variety of jobs you can do; working on the shop floor (so, cleaning, putting out stock, serving customers etc), doing bake off (putting stuff in the oven and taking it out for those out of the loop :p:), making sandwiches (out the back, have to do lots of cleaning in that role too :P). My shop was quite small, only 3 or 4 staff on at a time, so most people did a bit of everything. On the other hand, in a very busy shop, you might only be serving customers, or doing bake off, for example, rather than juggling both roles like in my shop. You'll most likely have to do opens and closes as well so this involves yet more cleaning :P and setting up the shop etc.

I was mainly on sandwiches in my shop, which was tough as I had to be very fast while still making them look nice (I'm one of the best they've had though apparently :h:). Could be a bit boring at times but the staff were really nice so there's always someone to chat to. The one annoying thing was the 7am start (though that will again depend on your shop and the opening times, and what role you have) :sigh:

There's probably more I could say but I'll leave it there and you can ask any questions :smile:

Edit:

Yes this is annoying :hmmm: There's probably loads of other annoying things too but no workplace is perfect :P

P.S. wage is pretty good too, I was on £6.32 an hour which is more than a lot of my friends seemed to be.

What do they do with the sandwiches and stuff they have left at the end of the day? Do they give it to homeless people or something or do they chuck it in the bin? :tongue:
Reply 6
Original post by ArcadiaHouse
What do they do with the sandwiches and stuff they have left at the end of the day? Do they give it to homeless people or something or do they chuck it in the bin? :tongue:

A locked bin :sad: If I was on at the end of the day I'd nick a few cakes but it's not really allowed. It'd depend how lenient the manager is :P
I used to work there whilst i was at collage,

I hated it at first, but when you get to know the people you work with (it sounds gay i know) you kind of turn into a little family. There are so few people working in each shop that you get to know each person much better than you would say working at a supermarket or larger company.

Also although they say your not allowed to, i got unlimited free lunch and stuff at the end of each day. I would regularly have a lunch that would cost me £10-15 had i bought it in the shop and brought home several carrier bags stuffed full of doughnuts and sandwiches to supply house parties or beer/film/pizza nights. The legal discount is 50% off, but i didnt meet a single manager that didnt let me do it.

The pay is fairly decent, about the same a supermarkets pay but with different bennifits.

Although on the face of it, it isnt the most glamourous of jobs; its fun, completely informal, you get loads of free stuff and good people work there.

Go for it if you can.
Reply 8
Original post by burpleronnie

I hated it at first, but when you get to know the people you work with (it sounds gay i know) you kind of turn into a little family. There are so few people working in each shop that you get to know each person much better than you would say working at a supermarket or larger company.

Also although they say your not allowed to, i got unlimited free lunch and stuff at the end of each day. I would regularly have a lunch that would cost me £10-15 had i bought it in the shop and brought home several carrier bags stuffed full of doughnuts and sandwiches to supply house parties or beer/film/pizza nights. The legal discount is 50% off, but i didnt meet a single manager that didnt let me do it.

The pay is fairly decent, about the same a supermarkets pay but with different bennifits.

Although on the face of it, it isnt the most glamourous of jobs; its fun, completely informal, you get loads of free stuff and good people work there.

Go for it if you can.

I fail to see how you could spend £10-£15 on lunch for one person :lolwut: That's about... 30 sausage rolls :P
Reply 9
tasty
I totally underestimated the Greggs interview, I was expecting a nice easy one with the manager in a trackie like the Somerfield one was. It was a ****ing three woman team all in suits demanding answers to crazy questions about my team leading experience.

Good luck OP.
Getting the wrong ****ing change every time.
Original post by ily_em
A locked bin :sad: If I was on at the end of the day I'd nick a few cakes but it's not really allowed. It'd depend how lenient the manager is :P

:eek: What a horrible waste of food. We had a party for our cousin's graduation this year, catered by Greggs :coma: 'twas awesome.

I'd totally nick food at the end of the day. :ninja: Cheaper than bloody Sainsbury's.
Reply 13
Original post by Louise_x

Oh god I'm scared about doing that... Cheese and onion pasties... Resist... Resist....
Original post by Bakeyy
Enjoy.

Hahahah, thanks!
Original post by TheGrandmaster

LMAO! So true.
Original post by ily_em

Edit:

Ooh thanks it sounds quite fun really, a job is a job at the end of the day anyway. Thanks for all the info!
Original post by burpleronnie

Go for it if you can.

Haha! Thanks for the information!! Useful, and I suppose it's just how up tight your manager is.
Original post by History-Student
I totally underestimated the Greggs interview, I was expecting a nice easy one with the manager in a trackie like the Somerfield one was. It was a ****ing three woman team all in suits demanding answers to crazy questions about my team leading experience.

Good luck OP.

Oh great thanks! :eek: haha
Reply 14
Greggs paid good, but unfortunately in my particular shop I had crappy management so left.

It was slightly fast paced, a bit boring at times (I don't like standing around doing nothing) but its a good paying job and the interview was a breeze.

All the best. :smile:
Reply 15
Thank you! :biggrin:
Hey

I work in Greggs. For the interview go on to the website and look at the 'Greggs Values', these will come up a lot in the interview and your expected to answer most of the questions with these.
Hi, I have an interview at gregg's as well :biggrin:

In the email i got, it says "Wear comfortable, but smart clothes"

What would you recommend? Would a smart shirt and black trousers be fine?

Also OP, i got this email about my interview:

Assessment Day & Interview
Hints and Tips for Candidates

Although this may not be your first interview or assessment, we would like to offer you some tips on how this can be your best interview. To ensure you are at ease throughout the whole process, we have listed some helpful hints and tips:

Preparation

All interviews and assessment days require preparation, and the more you prepare, the more successful you'll be. Read the following hints and tips to help you prepare:

? Know where you're going, when you need to be there, and who you're going to see

? Decide what to wear in advance, and ensure it's washed and ironed before the day

? Research the company and the role you've applied for - our website has a wealth of information all about us visit www.greggsfamily.co.uk

? Check if you need to bring/prepare anything for the day such as eligibility to work in the UK documents

? Consider what questions you may be asked, or what you might be asked to do in relation to the job you are applying for.

Positive Attitude

The more prepared you are, the more relaxed and positive you should feel on the day. Here are some hints to help you:

? Smile - this is a sign of confidence and control

? Shake hands and refer to people by name - this is a sign of professionalism and shows you are listening

? Make eye contact - demonstrating you are interested in what the interviewer / assessor is saying

? Speak clearly and concisely

? Wear comfortable, but smart clothes

? Avoid inappropriate language

? Be upbeat, enthusiastic and interested in the conversation.

Assessment Day Preparation

The Assessment Day will be fairly informal, and if the assessment is being held to recruit lots of staff for a new shop that we are opening, then you will get to meet other people that you might end up working with too!

You will be given lots of information about Greggs and what would be expected of you in the role of Team Member we feel it’s important for the assessment to be a 2-way experience, so you also make the right decision.

You will be asked to take part in some small group exercises, which will help us to see if you are right for Greggs (and vice versa!). Customer Service is our top priority and this will feature throughout the day.

The day isn’t about making anyone stand out or feel embarrassed, so just be yourself, relax and enjoy the experience.

You will also have a short interview, where we will ask you a few questions and get to know you better on a 1-1 basis. The answers you give to our questions can be taken from your experiences at school or work.

Final Top Tips

? Listen carefully and take your time to think before answering questions during the day

? Use specific examples of things you have done

? Prepare for your interview by visiting our recruitment website at www.greggsfamily.co.uk

? Relax, if you can't think of an example immediately, take your time to consider your response and give the most relevant example you can think of.

Hope that helps, I think it covers basically everything on what we need to do to have a good interview :biggrin: good luck with yours
Reply 18
Original post by thenightisyoung-soarewe
Hey

I work in Greggs. For the interview go on to the website and look at the 'Greggs Values', these will come up a lot in the interview and your expected to answer most of the questions with these.

I second this.

:thumbsup:
Original post by ChocolateWar
Decide what to wear in advance, and ensure it's washed and ironed before the day
? Smile - this is a sign of confidence and control

? Shake hands and refer to people by name - this is a sign of professionalism and shows you are listening

? Make eye contact - demonstrating you are interested in what the interviewer / assessor is saying

? Speak clearly and concisely

? Wear comfortable, but smart clothes

? Avoid inappropriate language

? Be upbeat, enthusiastic and interested in the conversation.

:rofl: It is actually so depressing that they actually have to tell people to do these things.

Wish I had a job interview somewhere. :sad:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending