The Student Room Group

are my choices to competitive

Chelsea; fine art
camberwell graphic design
goldsmith fine art
winchester,southampton graphic art
CSM or Ravensbourne graphic design

p.s take into consideration that before my foundation i never did graphic design.
It obviously depends on how strong your portfolio is. Are you doing a foundation at the moment? You could ask your teachers what they think. I go to Ravensbourne, I'd say out of all of those Ravensbourne would be the least competitive to get into.
Reply 2
Original post by Moooooooose
It obviously depends on how strong your portfolio is. Are you doing a foundation at the moment? You could ask your teachers what they think. I go to Ravensbourne, I'd say out of all of those Ravensbourne would be the least competitive to get into.

What course are you doing and are you enjoying your time there.
Original post by xxsaraxx7
What course are you doing and are you enjoying your time there.

I'm just doing a foundation. Personally for me it's a bit rubbish, but that's because I'm a photographer and they basically have no photography facilities so I'm definitely not staying on for a degree there. I have friends there doing other degrees, and they all enjoy it. But they all live at home because halls cost £8k a year or something ridiculous. Oh, and the halls aren't anywhere near the uni itself. But I guess you get that studying at a lot of London unis.
Reply 4
Original post by Rob da Mop
Yes please:smile: I'd also like a question mark at the end of that sentence,and possibly a capital letter at the start.

NEVER :biggrin: wouldn't want you getting to happy

I'm drunk and can manage this, why can't you whilst you're sober?

because I choose not to
Reply 5
Chelsea; fine art
camberwell graphic design
goldsmith fine art
winchester,southampton graphic art
CSM or Ravensbourne graphic design

p.s take into consideration that before my foundation i never did graphic design.

They are pretty competitive, especially seeing as 3 of them choices are UAL, which obviously is very competitive with an extremely high number of applicants and a small number of places.
I think CSM only take on about 150 BA Graphic Design students? And I think about 40% are International Students.
Can't imagine the other 2 are much different.

By no means let it put you off, as people have said it'll be down to your portfolio. And it doesn't matter that you didn't do Graphics before your Foundation, they will mainly be interested in your work from the Foundation and anything you might of done in your own time. Not old A-Level work for example.

Are you looking to stay South? Because there are places up North with brilliant reputations for Graphics Design.
Nottingham Trent for example, considered to be the best outside of London.
Reply 6
Original post by Cll_ws
They are pretty competitive, especially seeing as 3 of them choices are UAL, which obviously is very competitive with an extremely high number of applicants and a small number of places.
I think CSM only take on about 150 BA Graphic Design students? And I think about 40% are International Students.
Can't imagine the other 2 are much different.

By no means let it put you off, as people have said it'll be down to your portfolio. And it doesn't matter that you didn't do Graphics before your Foundation, they will mainly be interested in your work from the Foundation and anything you might of done in your own time. Not old A-Level work for example.

Are you looking to stay South? Because there are places up North with brilliant reputations for Graphics Design.
Nottingham Trent for example, considered to be the best outside of London.

Thanks for the replu

I knew it was 150 but i didn't know 40% were for international students so that changed a few things in my calculations. The thing is i didnt go to an open day at CSM because its fully booked but i did for the rest but i do like their fine art and graphic design course structure, I am going to apply for byam shaw to be honest fine art is what i want to do (and hopefully get a design career after).

The thing is I love london so i really want to study there or be like a short train journey away. Hence why most of my choices are for UAL. But i am swapping camberwell graphic design for fine art at CSM.

is Winchester very competitive

SO FAR ITS:

CHELSEA
CSM
GOLDSMITH
WINCHESTER
RAVENSBOURNE.
Reply 7
Thanks for the replu

I knew it was 150 but i didn't know 40% were for international students so that changed a few things in my calculations. The thing is i didnt go to an open day at CSM because its fully booked but i did for the rest but i do like their fine art and graphic design course structure, I am going to apply for byam shaw to be honest fine art is what i want to do (and hopefully get a design career after).

The thing is I love london so i really want to study there or be like a short train journey away. Hence why most of my choices are for UAL. But i am swapping camberwell graphic design for fine art at CSM.

SO FAR ITS:

CHELSEA
CSM
GOLDSMITH
WINCHESTER
RAVENSBOURNE.

Yeah, their intake of international students is very high. I think about 1500 out of the 4500 students there are international, and Graphics design is one of the more popular courses with international students. I don't know whether it's different on the Fine Art course.
Yeah go for it, if you've got your heart set on it then don't be put off by it.
The CSM open day was really just a tour around the building and a chance to see some of the work, all the students were there working so it was only brief.

I'm not sure about Winchester tbh, I haven't looked at it myself.
Kingston has a good reputation for Graphics Design (not sure about Fine Art) and it's only a 20 minute train journey from London.
The course looked really good and seemed to give students a lot of freedom, which would favour students also interested in Fine Art as it makes it less about industry-related stuff and commercial advertising and more about ideas and creativity which I personally prefer.
I think it might be quite competitive there also, but I doubt as competitive as UAL. And I think they're only really interested in a Foundation, they said that because of the amount of applicants they get they start by filtering out the ones without a Foundation.
It's an option :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 8
You can only apply to one UAL place each year, so you'd have to choose between CSM, Camberwell, and Chelsea.
Original post by Kallistrate
You can only apply to one UAL place each year, so you'd have to choose between CSM, Camberwell, and Chelsea.

isnt that only for foundation though? I emailed chelsea asking if i could apply for their graphic course aswell as camberwell and they said yes.
Reply 10
Original post by ThisCantBeChanged
isnt that only for foundation though? I emailed chelsea asking if i could apply for their graphic course aswell as camberwell and they said yes.

your right for a BA you can apply for all the 5 if you want(i know this for a FACT) and i heard that the other colleges want know which other collages you applied to.
Reply 11

SO FAR ITS:

CHELSEA
CSM
GOLDSMITH
WINCHESTER
RAVENSBOURNE.

hi,
i just got an offer for Winchester, and i haven't done a foundation.
their international intake is high too, but i would say it's much less competetive than the UAL colleges. it's not a bad university for its course though, so don't get put off. the studio space, facilities, atmosphere and teachers are all pretty nice :smile: but obviously, the standard is lower than UAL.
if you really love London, you probably won't really like the Winchester area; it's small and quiet, though you can travel to Southampton Central for somewhere more city-like.

anyway, overall, like everyone else has said, it all depends on your portfolio. based solely on the fact that you've done a foundation, i would say applying to UAL isn't too ambitious, and that you have a good chance of getting into Winchester as a back up.

i'm applying to CSM (and LCC) too, so if by some miracle, i get an offer from UAL without a foundation, i'm sure you'll be able to too.

don't be disheartened.
good luck.
Reply 12
I'm taking fine art and I've never done a foundation before but my choices are :

Central Saint Martins, Brighton, Kingston, Edinburgh and Leeds
Original post by sveta1992
I'm taking fine art and I've never done a foundation before but my choices are :

Central Saint Martins, Brighton, Kingston, Edinburgh and Leeds

Before the deadline on Saturday, I think you ought to check out Brighton's admission criteria as when we went there, we were told that they will NOT take anyone without foundation. It would be a great shame to waste a choice on one which may reject you outright for that reason.

That was for graphic design and it may be different for fine art, but you should perhaps check it out before its too late.

Good luck!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 14
UAL dish out offers to Internaional students like toilet paper. I truely am sorry for both the Home talented students and International both talented and non-talented students. Everybody struggles, end of story.
Reply 15
Original post by kate.harrison1
Before the deadline on Saturday, I think you ought to check out Brighton's admission criteria as when we went there, we were told that they will NOT take anyone without foundation. It would be a great shame to waste a choice on one which may reject you outright for that reason.

That was for graphic design and it may be different for fine art, but you should perhaps check it out before its too late.

Good luck!

Brighotn is a bit of a hardcore to crack when it comes to people not having done a foundation, but truth be told, if you ask the actual admission tutors rather then the admissions office, they would probably have a sofer tone. After all, it's all down to your portfolio.

Quick Reply

Latest