The Student Room Group

Likelihood of getting into Durham?

I realise Durham like to hold applications for a while, but the longer I wait the more I doubt I'll get in >.<

My course is Archaeology and Anthropology, with requirements of AAB, including general.

I am predicted:

Business and Economics: A
English Literature: A
History: B
General: A

At AS, I got:

Business and Economics: A (with full marks in one module)
English Literature: A (with full marks in both coursework pieces)
History: D... very embarrassing and upsetting for me. I had a really poor teacher, which I know is not really an excuse but my god we did not get along. At the end of the year there was a final straw when she humiliated me in front of the class and finally my demands to be moved into a different class were listened to. Now I have a different teacher I'm getting A grades, and I am retaking my AS.

I also volounteer at Sutton Hoo (world famous archaeological site), read Archaeology by Colin Renfrew and Why Humans Have Cultures by Michael Carrithers. At the time of my ucas application I had two part time jobs: Paperchase Sales Assistant and a cleaner at my high school. I've since quit the Paperchase job because of transportation and time issues :P

My general studies teacher said my personal statement was very strong, and so far I have offers from Exeter, Kent and Birmingham, awaiting word from Bristol.

I got really excited about Durham, even though I knew it was competitive, but recently I found out they look at your GCSE scores?? :eek: I have 1 A*, 6As, 2Bs and a C. :/

Well? Should I consider it a pipe dream?
Reply 1
Come to us
Original post by BlueJoker
I realise Durham like to hold applications for a while, but the longer I wait the more I doubt I'll get in >.<

My course is Archaeology and Anthropology, with requirements of AAB, including general.

I am predicted:

Business and Economics: A
English Literature: A
History: B

At AS, I got:

Business and Economics: A (with full marks in one module)
English Literature: A (with full marks in both coursework pieces)
History: D... very embarrassing and upsetting for me. I had a really poor teacher, which I know is not really an excuse but my god we did not get along. At the end of the year there was a final straw when she humiliated me in front of the class and finally my demands to be moved into a different class were listened to. Now I have a different teacher I'm getting A grades, and I am retaking my AS.

I also volounteer at Sutton Hoo (world famous archaeological site), read Archaeology by Colin Renfrew and Why Humans Have Cultures by Michael Carrithers. At the time of my ucas application I had two part time jobs: Paperchase Sales Assistant and a cleaner at my high school. I've since quit the Paperchase job because of transportation and time issues :P

My general studies teacher said my personal statement was very strong, and so far I have offers from Exeter, Kent and Birmingham, awaiting word from Bristol.

I got really excited about Durham, even though I knew it was competitive, but recently I found out they look at your GCSE scores?? :eek: I have 1 A*, 6As, 2Bs and a C. :/

Well? Should I consider it a pipe dream?

In a similar position (waiting to hear from languages dept) but firstly your subject isn't overly competitive (compared to say English) and they weight GCSE scores accoring to the average for a school, so if those were good results for your school then don't fret. Also it seems as though you've demonstrated your interest well with all that work experience. The only thing that might be a problem is that D in history, only because I don't think they accept general studies as a viable third A level.

I definitely wouldn't write it off though :smile:

Oh and kudos on managing to do two jobs throughout A levels - there's no way I'd have the stamina!
Reply 3
It says in their entry requirements that they accept general for my course :biggrin: But of course I realise it's seen as quite weak - but it's compulsory at my school.

Well, compared to the rest of the students in my school.... I'm kind of just above average. My school is really a very good school - it beats the private school next door quite often. There were 4 students who got 12 A*s I think. So yeah, not great :/ Which is why I'm worried. I have improved a lot in A Levels, but I don't know if it'll be enough.

And yeah, god the D. You have no idea how gutted I was, and SO angry at my teacher. I spoke in a year 12 assembly recently and told them that I thought I'd be fine in history because I'd always been naturally good at it, but natural talent isn't good enough anymore. Of course they didn't listen... ¬.¬
Reply 4
Look, they are seriously considering your application okay. Because i know tons of people who have been rejected by now, this means you are in with a substantial chance, and they have narrowed down the applicants alot, they are now waiting till the UCAS deadline to be fair. Thats why you haven't yet heard!
Reply 5
Wow, I hope so >.<

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending