The Student Room Group

Should I go to the doctor?

I started uni just over three weeks ago and on the second day I developed what I'm almost sure is just Freshers' Flu. I have a terrible cough which keeps me up at night, loads of phlegm which I can't get rid of, and a thick head.

I'm now considering popping into the health centre to see someone, but I am sure they will just tell me it is because I am not getting enough sleep etc.

My sleeping pattern is completely screwed up at the moment. I can only go to bed when I'm absolutely knackered, so sometimes I'll stay up until 5am even if I haven't been out, just chatting to people online or something, and then get up really late the next day. If I have to get up early, I will, and I'll go to classes on three or four hours sleep, then I'll come home and sleep some more, and then have a late night. I know it's really bad for me, but I don't know what to do. And even if I get an early night, I'll just sleep for 14 hours, not get up any earlier and then not be tired the next night.

I don't know if this is what's causing my illness, but I'm getting sick of it. I'm also going home next weekend and I don't want my mum to worry about me.

What should I do? Do you think it's worth going to the doctor?
Reply 1
I would, its always good just incase they can do anything for you, anyways its always good i find just for reassurance :smile:
I hope you feel better soon :hugs:
The phlegm could be a sign of a chest infection that won't go without antibiotics from the doc...I'd pop down and see him/her if I were you :smile:
Reply 3
I had exactly the same thing, which strangely started a few days after going back to uni after the summer- I visited the doctors and was given some antibiotics. If this has been going on for three weeks then you should visit a doctor just to be sure anyway.

As for being tired, try sticking to a sleeping routine, I know its difficult but try to go to bed the same time every night, even if thats 2am, and try getting up at the same time as well, as this will get your body into a regular routine. Try and give yourself a few 'early nights' every week, and if you cant sleep, try listening to some gentle music or having a warm bath first, whatever helps for you. If you are still having problems then I guess you could ask for some sleeping tablets to help temporarily- I had to take some earlier in the year, my doctor gave me a 2 week prescription and I only needed to take one to give me a decent nights sleep and I felt loads better after that.
Reply 4
Would this be my fault? :smile:
there are throat tablets called dequacaine which you can get (without prescription) which not only moisten your throat, but numb it slightly - its very effective...i used it when i was doing some high altitude climbing last year to get rid of khumbu cough (due to the cold there is little moisture in the air so your wind pipe and its lining of mucus can become dessicated.etc.)
see if they do the trick for you...(popping into the health centre couldn't harm you though...could it!)
Reply 5
I have the exact same thing. Since I started Uni 3 weeks ago I am still ill with a damn cough and cold, with lovely Pleghm. Over the last couple of days it got even worse with my glands swelling up but thats settled down again now. I know my sleeping patern is poor but im still getting a decent amount of sleep and am eating okish. But it has yet to shift yet, I dont know wether to go to the doctor for fear they'll jsut usher me away with having freshers flu.
Reply 6
seems like i had this very thing, and it took 2-3 weeks to fully get out my system. it also mutates through various phases, as in it will start as a sore throat, then become a chesty cough, then blocked nose with the rest going on etc and an endless combination of all these things. i was actually coughing so much at one point that, with the phlegm not willing to budge, i was sick. gross. anyway.

the "beechams cold and flu" type things didn't do anything, they're useless. strepsil type things seem to have been the best things. also, taking vitamin c doses each day (u can get a variety of chewable or effervescing pills/capsules) to top up your natural levels and keep your immune system in good shape. i did consider going to a doctor to get antibiotics, but with a fair amount of sleep (regardless of when you actually fall asleep) and generally looking after yourself and staying in a tiny bit, you should get better. also, a trivial point, but it's good to stay hydrated when you're ill like this, so try to drink enough water every day.
Reply 7
Go to the docs, and see what they say. They may give you some sleepings pills, just to get your sleeping pattern back in swing.
Reply 8
I've got the most disgusting phlegm at the moment.

It probably is just something you need to recover from without pills and stuff, but you never know. Going to the Health Centre won't hurt, surely?
Nutchopper
I would, its always good just incase they can do anything for you, anyways its always good i find just for reassurance :smile:
I hope you feel better soon :hugs:

:ditto: hope you get and feel better soon sweetie :hugs: :smile: xoxo
Reply 10
On the few occasions that you do get phlegm coughed up, what colour is it?
Reply 11
just go to the doctor, nothing to lose by going
Miles
On the few occasions that you do get phlegm coughed up, what colour is it?

Yellow. :frown:
Reply 13
It sounds like fresher's flu. Take vitamins. If it doesn't go away soon go to the doc, but I think you need a few days in bed (sleeping 15 hours or so is quite normal when you're ill), and lots of lemsip and daytime tv.
Because you are in a new area with a lot of people from around the country, and you don't yet have antibodies to the many strains of flu that they have brought with them, and are already in the area. The germs from your area that you're immune to are probably affecting them too.

Marcus
I'm a bit phelgmmy at the moment(lovely!)...my sleeping pattern is TOTALLY screwed up.

It's just a fresher thing I hope!
Reply 16
I had and still have those symptoms...went to the doctor few weeks ago after id been up all night coughing and not being able to swallow and he kept me in the sick bay and gave me anti biotics, saying id got a nasty throat infection...
The antibiotics made me sick ,but they didnt make me any better...so i went back and had a blood test - next day he tells me i've got glandular fever. Although there's no cure for this, it's peace of mind knowing you've got something actual, so get it checked out.

NB - anyone with a title such as "should i see a doctor" - yes...if you're worried enough to post on a forum asking that, then you should go.
Hey Suzie -
I'm also at Bristol and so chances are I've had exactly the same freshers flu as you!! I got over it in about a week. It make my voice all croaky and my throat all dry and I was kept up at night coughing. When this happened I usually had a lem sip or some tea which made it feel better. I had quite a lot of phlegm but not too much.
I know what you mean about sleeping habits, althuogh mine are currently getting better. My idea is: even if you go to sleep at 5am, FORCE (and i mean force) yourself to get up at 9, 10. Arrange to go and meet someone somewhere at like 10.30 and do it. That way, when you get to go to bed at like 11, you will be absolutely knackered, sleep for like 10 hours and be fine (getting up at like 10 the next day).
Worked a treat for me :biggrin:
susiemakemeblue
I started uni just over three weeks ago and on the second day I developed what I'm almost sure is just Freshers' Flu. I have a terrible cough which keeps me up at night, loads of phlegm which I can't get rid of, and a thick head.

I'm now considering popping into the health centre to see someone, but I am sure they will just tell me it is because I am not getting enough sleep etc.

My sleeping pattern is completely screwed up at the moment. I can only go to bed when I'm absolutely knackered, so sometimes I'll stay up until 5am even if I haven't been out, just chatting to people online or something, and then get up really late the next day. If I have to get up early, I will, and I'll go to classes on three or four hours sleep, then I'll come home and sleep some more, and then have a late night. I know it's really bad for me, but I don't know what to do. And even if I get an early night, I'll just sleep for 14 hours, not get up any earlier and then not be tired the next night.

I don't know if this is what's causing my illness, but I'm getting sick of it. I'm also going home next weekend and I don't want my mum to worry about me.

What should I do? Do you think it's worth going to the doctor?

Katie, I've had sleeping problems all through uni and for the last few years I've had a weird form of chronic fatigue syndrome with anxiety problems which I've always thought was just remnants of mononucleosis which never went away (I had it, but instead of getting loads of rest like most people do, I ended up just being a zombie all day as I have a strong resistance to sleep. I can stay up several nights in a row but the more I've done that, the more I've felt really sick and paid the price).

Just force yourself to go to bed earlier, get some sleeping aid: herbal medicine to start off. It's a matter of lifestyle. Your lifestyle has probably been affected and you're adapting but sticking to this kind of sleeping pattern can have pretty bad effects.

Then again, I'm giving you this advice and I still have screwed up sleeping patterns.
Reply 19
Anonomiss
Go to the docs, and see what they say. They may give you some sleepings pills, just to get your sleeping pattern back in swing.

Don't think doctors like to give out sleeping pills willy nilly - too many addicts and abusers.

From my limited experience (my housemates are doctors) I'd say sounds like a bit of pneumonia - young people can get it too!

Latest

Trending

Trending